Sponsored

Bobobuhanych

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 OR quicksand
FYI. I ordered these and for some reason it didn’t ship. I contacted customer support and their response was that Toyota changed the wiring plugs from the prototype so rigid is redoing the wires so it will be plug and play for easy install. Then they will ship my order. It’s nice they are correcting it asap.​
Sponsored

myrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' TRD Off Road (for sale) , 24 Trailhunter Inbound
I also canceled my order for now just to wait until rigid figures it out and the vendor I was working with has some great ideas about how the lights might be controlled. So until I get the truck and see what I’m working with and rigid figure figures out what they are doing. I’m going to stand by.

myrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' TRD Off Road (for sale) , 24 Trailhunter Inbound
Seller I talked to today says it can be wired up to come on with the reverse lights only, or have the read halos on with the running lights as well, or have the whole thing on the interior switch, depending how you want it set up.

Sponsored

SPV Parts

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Ranger Raptor
@larkhen @TX-BluStreak @SonoranSurvivalist @PotatoTRD @myrr @StreeTaco @Bobobuhanych @sugammadex @trailhunger @DR. FUMBLES

I wanted to touch base with you guys.

I am John from SPV Parts. Some of you ordered the kit from us for Rigid.

As some of you have heard, there were some hiccups on the kit with Rigid. So I wanted to clear it all up for you.

If you are unfamiliar with us. We are both a national distributor for Rigid Industries (And others, such as Baja Designs, Diode Dynamics, KC Hilites, Morimoto, etc)

And, we are an engineering company and manufacturer ourselves.

On the engineering side. We develop mounting solutions for vehicles such as for light bars, fog lights, reverse lights, a-pillar lights and more. We even supply some brackets to Rigid.

As well as, we developed and produce the first ever (and fully patented) Plug n play harness "SYSTEM" for vehicles.

Link-
US12040107B2 - Automobile wiring harness system and kit for same - Google Patents

How this harness system works is this.

We have probably 100 or more components. Rather than cutting and splicing harnesses. You get a main component. Then you plug in a 3" adapter (or add a connector) for your light to the harness. This way, you can swap models or brands but the main harness is complete and reusable. Its "Future Proof". Much like a USB or HDMI cable.

If you want to share it, you plug in a splitter. You don't cut and splice. It is PLUG N PLAY.

If you need a relay, you plug one in. You don't need to cut them off or splice them.

You can stack harnesses, relays, lights, etc infinitely. Anything you could imaging in custom wiring. You can do with the system. But plug n play.

We have adapters to plug into the vehicles for reverse lights, running lights, etc. They also just plug in.

So.....

The reason I am explaining this is for this reason. Let me get to the Rigid issues on this kit.

RIGID KIT - 20643

Rigid worked with Toyota on this kit to insert into the ARB rear bumper. They have blank inserts as most of you know to remove and you can replace with the lights.
The kit comes with a Y type harness. It will plug into each light and then it comes to a connector that plugs into the bumper area for power and ground to the main white light. The red backlight however is NOT connected and the wire for it is left loose. If you want to hook up the red backlight. It's optional, but you will need to splice it in.

Issue- Upon releasing the kit, after only a handful shipped... A customer notified Rigid that the connector on the truck was different than the one they had on the harness.

So what happened is, Toyota changed the connector sometime between the time the test vehicle Rigid had, and when they went into production.

So after being notified. Rigid stopped shipment on orders (to direct consumers and resellers) until they resolve the connector type issue. Rigid said they will have that resolved and ship those remaining supplies to all the suppliers and original orders in about 5-6 weeks.

So... that fully explains what you are hearing bits an pieces of. If you ordered the Rigid kit from us or Rigid or anyone else. It will ship once that is resolved in that 5-6 week range.

From there, let me circle back to what we do. How it is different and how we can solve it now with someone's help.

On our harness system.

We developed plug n play kits for the SR-L Red backlit for several vehicles already several years ago. All of them use our plug n play harnesses.

You can pick from 3 install styles.
1- Long harness from the lights up to the Aux switches.
2- Short harness between the lights and plugs into our tail light adapter for automatic reverse trigger (just like the Rigid kit there) and ours also powers the red backlight with the tail lights, running, parking lights. So you don't need to hook it up separately.
3- Long harness AND our tail light adapter. So this is the best of both. Automatic, and manual with a switch. Our tail light adapters have a diode built in so that the power will not back feed to the reverse lights in the tail lights with a switch.

You can watch this demonstration of our kit on a 2021 F-150 Raptor to see how it works in all 3 ways-

Now that you've watched that. To understand a little more. Watch this video on our tail light/headlight adapters-

So. As you see. We have a system that uses these light on many vehicles and it has more features and flexibility if you want it to do more.

That also opens up the door for those without the ARB bumper to experience these lights on their Tacoma in the same way they are designed here (non flush mount, but also bolt on) on an F-150.

https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...5&_sid=ee71162d6&_ss=r&variant=44486453133544

So hopefully you can see where we are going here.

The only thing we need to be able to offer you guys this kit is to have a look at your Tacoma's tail light connector. (Remember, ours uses the tail light for both the running and reverse triggers which is different than the one Rigid uses for just the reverse trigger on the bumper).

If someone is willing to work with us and pop off their tail light, send some pictures and do a simple test with us over the phone or facetime to identify the connector type (of the tail lights) and the location of the reverse signal and running lights.

We will provide a $100 gift card/credit etc that can be used on your kit.

So. Once we have that, with someones help. We can begin shipping the kits immediately in the flush mount (for the ARB Bumper) or the under mount (for the others).

You can choose to wait the 5-6 weeks for the Rigid correction (which is fine). Or if you want it ASAP, we can convert it over to our plug n play system.

So if you would like to help us to identify and assemble a Tacoma Tail light adapter.

Please email us at info @spvparts.com
Or call or text 317/796/8472

The same goes for other lighting or harness options.

We have a slew of harnesses and adapters here (Remember, these work for every vehicle)-

https://specialtyperformanceparts.com/collections/spv-parts-harness-system

You can watch FAQ videos on many of the connectors and adapters here-

You can see our original introduction on Motortrend here to the system-

We can also work with you for options on other mounting solutions for your truck.

John
SPV Parts

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
Well that certainly answered all my questions. thanks John

PotatoTRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd pro
If you have even minimal wiring skills you can just modify a diode dynamics harness and add a dT connector to the rigid lights and then you save the aux switch for other lights.. I installed them this morning super easy even with adding the DT connector.
2024 Tacoma New Rigid Lights for ARB Steel Rear Bumper IMG_8833
2024 Tacoma New Rigid Lights for ARB Steel Rear Bumper IMG_8835

SPV Parts

BASIC Sponsor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Ranger Raptor
Greetings all!

We have worked with a member on here and figured out the wiring for the tail lights to be able to put together another version of our tail light adapter for the Tacoma.

With that said, be it the flush mount version here for the ARB bumper, or a slim under bumper mount version for all the others who don't have the ARB bumper. You will have that plug n play option with our tail light adapter.

So for those of you who purchased the Rigid version already or planned on it. You can choose to use their original wiring which doesn't connect the wire for the red backlight. You do that manually.

Or, you can choose one of our 3 options.

Short harness to tail light adapter (which works like but better than the Rigid wiring there because it powers the red backlights with the running lights) or the long harness to switches only. Or the long harness to switches and the tail light adapter for Auto triggers as well.

If I don't hear from you at info @spvparts.com first. I will reach out to you to ask which you prefer.

The video demonstration above shows how they all work.

John

RESQCAT

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter (Underground)
I just received the lights today. Inside was a letter from SPV explaining the delay in receiving them. It said in essence that the Rigid wiring harness was done incorrectly, would not work, and being a manufacturer themselves they provided a fix. I will report in a bit once I figure out how they wire in. Silly question but I thought these were additional backup lights... to be wired in with the stock ones. It seems from comments that they are made to be operated on their own separate switch? And some of you used the prewired AUX switch that ends under the rear bed? THANKS.

RESQCAT

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter (Underground)
Greetings all!

We have worked with a member on here and figured out the wiring for the tail lights to be able to put together another version of our tail light adapter for the Tacoma.

With that said, be it the flush mount version here for the ARB bumper, or a slim under bumper mount version for all the others who don't have the ARB bumper. You will have that plug n play option with our tail light adapter.

So for those of you who purchased the Rigid version already or planned on it. You can choose to use their original wiring which doesn't connect the wire for the red backlight. You do that manually.

Or, you can choose one of our 3 options.

Short harness to tail light adapter (which works like but better than the Rigid wiring there because it powers the red backlights with the running lights) or the long harness to switches only. Or the long harness to switches and the tail light adapter for Auto triggers as well.

If I don't hear from you at info @spvparts.com first. I will reach out to you to ask which you prefer.

The video demonstration above shows how they all work.

John
John, I just received my "fixed" lights from you today. Great catch, thanks, and this speaks well of you folks for taking corrective action!

I am a little confused about connecting the short harness to tail light adapter. I want these lights to come on when I back up, etc., and not to use a separate switch at least for now.

There were two packages in the box (2 connect to light and 2 connect to harness). I am to use those and not the long one with a plug on the end for my use case, right?

You also mention your release of a custom lighting harness for these lights... is it an improved version of the long adapter that uses the switch, or what?

THANKS.
Sponsored

Last edited: