Sponsored

New Tacoma Owner; Need Advice on Truck Bed Accessories

RunDMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I just got my Off-road premium over the weekend. It's my first truck so I'm excited to be able to put it to use. I'm looking around at accessories and what not for the bed and I'm just not sure what is going to make the most sense to me. I looked at hard Tonneau covers because I'd love to be able to just use the bed for dry storage on road trips and every day use, but I don't want it to affect my ability to use the bed cleat rails and I want it to be easily removable so that I can use the bed for stuff that's going to jut out of the bed or dirtier stuff like green waste from doing yard work. I also want to use it for camping in the future. I don't think my wife and I are going to suddenly become hardcore overlanders, but I was looking at tents and mattress pads that could fit on the bed so I would want a tonneau that wouldn't mess with the ability to do that when removed (would that even be an issue?).

Also is getting a spray on bed liner like line-x worth it vs just getting a rubber bed mat or is that something that's really only useful if you're using and abusing your truck like an actual work truck?

Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I'm planning to just get the OEM bed mat because it's a pretty cost effective way to add durability and grip. The spray-on bedliners are pretty decent, but I've seen some chip/flake off over time, and it's a bit pricier.

I'm also planning on getting the OEM hard tonneau cover based on some good reviews on here. For the most part, the bed rail is still usable, and I like that it folds right up against the back window if I need to put something larger in the truck. The impression that I get is that once it's installed the first time, removal/reinstallation is fairly basic and would take probably 10 minutes.

OP
OP

RunDMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I'm planning to just get the OEM bed mat because it's a pretty cost effective way to add durability and grip. The spray-on bedliners are pretty decent, but I've seen some chip/flake off over time, and it's a bit pricier.

I'm also planning on getting the OEM hard tonneau cover based on some good reviews on here. For the most part, the bed rail is still usable, and I like that it folds right up against the back window if I need to put something larger in the truck. The impression that I get is that once it's installed the first time, removal/reinstallation is fairly basic and would take probably 10 minutes.
It folding up against the back window is what worries me a little bit. I want to be able to completely remove it and put it back on without it being a huge hassle to do it. Is it really that simple to just remove it?

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
You'll find a faction on several forums that feel the spray-on liner is overkill with a composite bad. The OEM bedliner gets good reviews and probably all most folks needs. There are also several other options available with more coming online weekly. Might pay to hold off a little.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I just got my Off-road premium over the weekend. It's my first truck so I'm excited to be able to put it to use. I'm looking around at accessories and what not for the bed and I'm just not sure what is going to make the most sense to me. I looked at hard Tonneau covers because I'd love to be able to just use the bed for dry storage on road trips and every day use, but I don't want it to affect my ability to use the bed cleat rails and I want it to be easily removable so that I can use the bed for stuff that's going to jut out of the bed or dirtier stuff like green waste from doing yard work. I also want to use it for camping in the future. I don't think my wife and I are going to suddenly become hardcore overlanders, but I was looking at tents and mattress pads that could fit on the bed so I would want a tonneau that wouldn't mess with the ability to do that when removed (would that even be an issue?).

Also is getting a spray on bed liner like line-x worth it vs just getting a rubber bed mat or is that something that's really only useful if you're using and abusing your truck like an actual work truck?

Maybe this will answer or speak to your post. My order isn't here yet but I am waiting for the Fas-Top combo (tonneau & soft topper that work together and quick release or remove). In my case I'm not yet sure I want to commit to a tent/wedge topper but have upcoming work that needs an open bed. At same time I have to do some hauling where being covered is needed.

There are reviews for this and all soft toppers that mention not perfectly water tight but lots of hard toppers are not so water tight.

Associates who own Tacomas tell me a spray on or bed liner is not so important or good against a time when a pickup bed was steel. The composite beds seem very proven at this point.

Think about frequency of use and convenience for your in truck camping plans. Until I make my wedge topper commitment (or not) not much is needed or will be needed with the Fas-Top I'm waiting for. I might make or get a 1/2 deck to fit a bike on one side.

Sponsored

Datrane01

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2024 Off Road
I am also a first time truck owner. I got my tacoma in March. Mine came with the OEM spray-in bedliner (not by my request). It is nice for grip, but I would have preferred to have the standard composite surface as if u want to put an air mattress in it, I worry the rough texture may cause a problem. Rubber mat would have been my preference for grip. I bought a Lomax hard trifold cover that uses the bed rails for attachment. It does cause a bit of issue moving the cleats smoothly at the attachment points, but they are still usable. As mentioned in earlier posts, after initial installation, it takes just a few seconds to remove the cover completely if I need an open bed. I am looking at getting a soft camper as well, but I may wait until softtopper or Flated comes out with the 2024 Tacoma model. I do not want the camper on unless I am camping, but tue hard tonnou cover is on at all other times.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I got the OEM hard tonneau and the cargo divider. Both are excellent. Had to trim 3/4” off each end of the cargo divider to get it to fit since the bed rails move with the OEM tonneau.

I’m also going to get a bed mat as the composite bed is super slippery. But bed mats are pretty hard to find.

jan123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma limited

I found the bed step quite useful. I also got the cargo net (about $45 at yotagarage).
Sponsored