OP
OP
jdr

jdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I thought to myself interesting, this sounds like a bag of marbles in a clothes dryer.
That is exactly what it sounds like. I actually just got back from the dealer. To my surprise, they actually squeezed me in the queue for an engine diagnostic service once they heard the noise. Later tonight or tomorrow I should hear back from them. We'll see...
Sponsored

OP
OP
jdr

jdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Conclusion: That's how the direct fuel injectors sound.

I don't know enough about how the D4S system works, but could it be the throttle position you're passing is triggering the switch from the port injectors to the direct injectors?
Looks like @26wx was right about their hunch. Took the car to the dealer and I was actually pleasantly surprised by how seriously they took me, they didn't brush me off. The 1st tech assistant was surprised by the noise too, so they took the truck in for a diagnosis under warranty. Overnight on the app I could see they popped the hood for several hours. Next day the tech gave me a detailed explanation of the fuel injector assembly in these new trucks and how they're able to use both port side & direct injection. The dealer mechanics confirmed, that's how the direct injectors sound when they're operating, that they inject fuel at a very high pressure. That I had found one way to trigger the swap with a specific throttle position, but a number of factors & conditions will make the truck swap between direct & port-side injection. Looks like Toyota is living up to it's reputation of making noisy engines. They also compared it to another Taco on the lot.

So for now, drive on. Hopefully if anything is going to break, it breaks before the warranty expires. I'm off to clean some bird poop off my black paint... :D

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness

Looks like @26wx was right about their hunch. Took the car to the dealer and I was actually pleasantly surprised by how seriously they took me, they didn't brush me off. The 1st tech assistant was surprised by the noise too, so they took the truck in for a diagnosis under warranty. Overnight on the app I could see they popped the hood for several hours. Next day the tech gave me a detailed explanation of the fuel injector assembly in these new trucks and how they're able to use both port side & direct injection. The dealer mechanics confirmed, that's how the direct injectors sound when they're operating, that they inject fuel at a very high pressure. That I had found one way to trigger the swap with a specific throttle position, but a number of factors & conditions will make the truck swap between direct & port-side injection. Looks like Toyota is living up to it's reputation of making noisy engines. They also compared it to another Taco on the lot.

So for now, drive on. Hopefully if anything is going to break, it breaks before the warranty expires. I'm off to clean some bird poop off my black paint... :D
Thank you for the update. I guess it's a relief to know we aren't hurting anything and it's 'meant' to sound this way.
Hit 500km and already mine sounds better..or more likely my ears are less offended atleast.
Definitely getting a feel for this transmission but it's a work in progress for me. 1st to 2nd is a bear to get perfect but sure feels good when I do.
Although tricky to produce consistently well, I did go from stop to highway speeds in quick succession and it felt quite peppy doing so.
Doing that and sounding good while having completely smooth shifts and no lurches from rev hang is a feat but the fact I've done it once means it can be mastered.

Reactions: jdr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5

Too funny someone just sent me to your thread, I had what I thought was the same “issue”. Still gonna swing by the dealer to just have it documented but here’s mine doing the same thing. It’s only with certain pedal pressure can I get it to do it too ahaha. Wild how these trucks are. This gives me some relief.

OP
OP
jdr

jdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I thought was the same “issue”.
That sounds identical to mines! By now I'm close to 900 miles with 0 problems. I feel like the noise settled down a bit, or like someone else said in a previous reply, has just become less offensive to my ears.

1st to 2nd is a bear to get perfect but sure feels good when I do.
Agree! Man, try it in ECO for a bit, it's easier 😂😂. Then swap around to normal & sport. It helped me out a bit. You know, this truck doesn't keep any settings... except ECO, of all the settings... But yeah, by now it's starting to feel a lot better burned into my muscle memory.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
That sounds identical to mines! By now I'm close to 900 miles with 0 problems. I feel like the noise settled down a bit, or like someone else said in a previous reply, has just become less offensive to my ears.
Yeah happy to know it seems normal, iv had my truck for 3 weeks and I’m just under 1000 miles on it. I’m still going to bring into the dealer Monday just to have them look and do a service record. Seems it can’t hurt!

OP
OP
jdr

jdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Yup, def can't hurt to keep apt. and get on service record 👍. Let us know what they say

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
My 2022 3.5 did this when it went into “diesel mode”. It ran the second set of 6 injectors to clean the top of the intake valves occasionally. This turbo 4 seems to run these 2nd set of 4 injectors more often. I don’t mind it - sounds like a wee diesel :)

Sponsored

tampacg1967

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma tdr sport
I have the same noise at idle, ( automatic trans) not sure while driving due to I have not been in the vehical, girlfriends truck. I noticed firt time she took me for a ride. As a mechanic myself, not ac clutch, not fan, not eng block noise. Played video to dealer tacoma owner of 18 years, says not normal. Made my own video of noise to take to dealership soon. Will keep posted, but expecting a few weeks to get diagnosed.

Camario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevrolet K2500. 2004 Subaru WRX STI
I’m a Subaru technician. And on the BRZ, it uses Toyota’s D4S injection system. Not an issue as the BRZ makes the same noise. It’s just the high pressure part of the system doing that. Direct injection, high pressure lines and high pressure pump. Wouldn’t worry about it

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
I have the same noise at idle, ( automatic trans) not sure while driving due to I have not been in the vehical, girlfriends truck. I noticed firt time she took me for a ride. As a mechanic myself, not ac clutch, not fan, not eng block noise. Played video to dealer tacoma owner of 18 years, says not normal. Made my own video of noise to take to dealership soon. Will keep posted, but expecting a few weeks to get diagnosed.
We will see what the dealer says but general consensus is this is normal. I also tested a truck on the dealer lot and sounded almost the same as mine, couple little differences but I think that’s because it was not warmed up. I’m not noticing any issues with performance or the truck not driving properly. It’s just a noisy mofo and even more noise added when AC is turned on lol. Keep us posted, I’ll do the same I’m going to my dealer Monday AM.

Any chance you can post your video here? It would be good to have them all posted on this thread for reference.

tampacg1967

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma tdr sport
I'll try, see if this works on video of noise.

Sponsored