Possible Engine Failure in 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport

mangotaco

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 6MT
First time poster here, so please forgive me if I’m in the wrong place.
I picked up my 24 Tacoma TRD Sport 6MT a few months back and have 7700 miles on it. Turned it on after work to head home the other day and the check engine light came on. I stopped at the dealer and they checked the code and told me the engine was misfiring. Called me the next day and said the injector was malfunctioning and they found debris throughout the system and the engine would need to be replaced.
a week later they are saying they only need to replace the injector and that will fix everything, but there is a month and a half lead time to receive the injector…

So far, every conversation with the dealer has been uneventful as they really have their hands tied by Toyota corporate… and all calls in to corporate have been absolutely horrible customer service.
guess ill keep you all posted.
Sponsored

TheBandit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR 6MT 4x4
Interesting, Toyota has really struggled with new releases of generations recently (thinking of the RAV4 redesign issues), but I hope this is just an isolated issue, and not deeper quality control concern.

Separately, I’ve also got a 6MT with about 3500 miles on it, how’s yours handled the break in period and since?

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Sorry to hear about your truck. Sucks. How did toyota customer service treat you that you say they had absolutely horrible customer service? What did you ask? What was their response? What were your expectations? It would be helpful to know where they fell short.

OP
OP

mangotaco

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting, Toyota has really struggled with new releases of generations recently (thinking of the RAV4 redesign issues), but I hope this is just an isolated issue, and not deeper quality control concern.

Separately, I’ve also got a 6MT with about 3500 miles on it, how’s yours handled the break in period and since?
I had absolutely no issues prior to this. It broke in nicely, no transmission issues and really drove like a dream. I’ve had 3 Tacoma’s prior to this and felt that this was absolutely the best Tacoma I had ever driven. The only things I experienced was that I noticed a rattle from the undercarriage that I thought sounded like a loose heat shield. I don’t really know what the iMt is, and don’t think I would use it, but thought I would try it. I did heard a bad noise from it when it downshifted to second, so I turned it off. Both issues I told to the dealer when I brought it in. The tachometer being digital is a little glitchy I think, and seems a bit jerky, not a smooth needle movement.
I was supposed to be taking this truck on a 3000-4000 mile road trip from TN back home to CO, then down through Utah and NM for some light off-roading and over landing. Now it looks like my trip is screwed and I have no recourse.

TheBandit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had absolutely no issues prior to this. It broke in nicely, no transmission issues and really drove like a dream. I’ve had 3 Tacoma’s prior to this and felt that this was absolutely the best Tacoma I had ever driven. The only things I experienced was that I noticed a rattle from the undercarriage that I thought sounded like a loose heat shield. I don’t really know what the iMt is, and don’t think I would use it, but thought I would try it. I did heard a bad noise from it when it downshifted to second, so I turned it off. Both issues I told to the dealer when I brought it in. The tachometer being digital is a little glitchy I think, and seems a bit jerky, not a smooth needle movement.
I was supposed to be taking this truck on a 3000-4000 mile road trip from TN back home to CO, then down through Utah and NM for some light off-roading and over landing. Now it looks like my trip is screwed and I have no recourse.
Ah man, I’m so sorry to hear that. A family member got a 2019 rav really early after release, and there were a few issues with it, mechanically and software. They had to have the automatic transmission software updated because it would hard shift into first if you were rolling at 5mph, and the 4wd system would Moo (like a cow, that’s the best way to describe it) and I think was just outright replaced within a year. Toyota has really struggled recently with rushing releases a model year before they’re truly ready and have the kinks worked out. I hope for your sake it doesn’t take as long as quoted to get the replacement parts delivered and installed

I’ve got the SR trim and also live here in Colorado and it’s absolutely loving the thin mountain air. I’ve been hyper-miling it and have averaged about 23mpg, and 27mpg on this tank (3/4) so far, so that’s a huge plus.

As far as the IMT goes, it’s basically supposed to just act as a manual transmission rev matching. When you downshift it bumps rpms up without you having to give any throttle, and I believe it’s supposed to prevent stalls starting in first gear. I find it relatively useless in my day-to-day life. I learned how to drive on a manual, so I don’t really need that sort of hand-holding, and the Rev bumps just serve to waste gas if I don’t actually let off the clutch

Sponsored

OP
OP

mangotaco

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear about your truck. Sucks. How did toyota customer service treat you that you say they had absolutely horrible customer service? What did you ask? What was their response? What were your expectations? It would be helpful to know where they fell short.
So, there are 2 experiences that I have go through at the same time, dealer and corporate since it’s a warrantee issue.
Dealer: I’d expect a manager to explain the process so that I’d have a concept of what I’m about to go through.
what I got was the service advisor took my car, sent me to their rental guy to get a loaner and that was pretty much it. The dealership has an automated phone system and you can’t get anyone. So I want back to the dealer and asked to see a manager. The manager was very honest and said that there is nothing that I can do and nothing that They can do to expedite this process, but explained the process so that I know what was coming.

Corporate/Toyota Brand Experience: I don’t know what I was going to expect. What I got was 4 dropped phone calls, a voice activated system that wouldn’t accept voice prompts, and eventually a person. First person gave me my case number. I waited till I got an update from the dealer that they had a potential fix and suggested that I call corporate to ask for help expediting the 6 week delivery of the part. When I called back, after a number of dropped calls and non working voice prompts, I got a person. She told me there was nothing they could do to expedite the order of the part. She would call the dealer, but she could not do anything to help.
I understand they won’t air freight an engine, but an injector? Seems small enough to air freight…. She also told me that a buy back option will take longer than a repair.

OP
OP

mangotaco

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah man, I’m so sorry to hear that. A family member got a 2019 rav really early after release, and there were a few issues with it, mechanically and software. They had to have the automatic transmission software updated because it would hard shift into first if you were rolling at 5mph, and the 4wd system would Moo (like a cow, that’s the best way to describe it) and I think was just outright replaced within a year. Toyota has really struggled recently with rushing releases a model year before they’re truly ready and have the kinks worked out. I hope for your sake it doesn’t take as long as quoted to get the replacement parts delivered and installed

I’ve got the SR trim and also live here in Colorado and it’s absolutely loving the thin mountain air. I’ve been hyper-miling it and have averaged about 23mpg, and 27mpg on this tank (3/4) so far, so that’s a huge plus.

As far as the IMT goes, it’s basically supposed to just act as a manual transmission rev matching. When you downshift it bumps rpms up without you having to give any throttle, and I believe it’s supposed to prevent stalls starting in first gear. I find it relatively useless in my day-to-day life. I learned how to drive on a manual, so I don’t really need that sort of hand-holding, and the Rev bumps just serve to waste gas if I don’t actually let off the clutch
Yeah, but if it’s in my brand new truck, even if I’m not going to use it… it better work! It seemed to shift up fine through third, but when I downshifted, it sounded worse than missing and grinding a gear! And I agree, learned in stick, don’t need the training wheels.
my mileage has been in the 20-21 mpg range for commuting to and from work. Was expecting to learn a lot more on my road trip!

TheBandit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, but if it’s in my brand new truck, even if I’m not going to use it… it better work! It seemed to shift up fine through third, but when I downshifted, it sounded worse than missing and grinding a gear! And I agree, learned in stick, don’t need the training wheels.
my mileage has been in the 20-21 mpg range for commuting to and from work. Was expecting to learn a lot more on my road trip!
Oh man that’s awful, seems like the imt was a dud too. It sounds to be the same situation with the rav4 I mentioned earlier: Toyota sacrificing quality control just to get some on the road quicker and fixing the issues on later builds while just telling the earliest purchasers to suck it up and wait. Sorry to hear about your truck and hoping it gets resolved quickly for you

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
I am curious about what system they said had debris in it? And how do you go from them telling you need an engine replacement to a single fuel injector will fix yah up? Just looking for a little clarification in there diagnosis.

OP
OP

mangotaco

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that’s the part that really gets to me. At first it was full engine replacement because they found debris, then it changed to the engine is fine and just needs an injector. Now I imagine I’ll end up waiting 6 weeks, get the part in and maybe be told the engine is repaired then go through this again in a couple of months… or get the part in and find out they need to do more and have to wait longer at this point. I seriously doubt they replace the injector, send me in my way and never have an issue again… next week I’ll go back on to the dealer and get some clarifications…
Sponsored