Sponsored

Pretty sure my 2nd transmission is going to fail

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Trans and Torque Converter replaced @ 989 miles. I have just surpassed 1K miles post replacement and all shift scenarios appear fantastic with no issues. Wishing everyone else the same positive results but will keep you posted if anything else surfaces.
As you would hope for, the design is fine; it must be a parts or contamination issue that should be resolved by now.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@fightforfood247 I haven't seen any updates on your new transmission recently.

What is currently going on with your truck. Has your dealer commented on it getting stuck in 2nd gear? Are they still working this or are they just letting you hang and waiting for it to die?

Have you basically given up and only want a buyout at this point? If that is the case I could understand and I wish you luck.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
As you would hope for, the design is fine; it must be a parts or contamination issue that should be resolved by now.
I think that definitely is true. What would be helpful would be to know when it was resolved, and is there a build date after which we can feel safe?

OP
OP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
@fightforfood247 I haven't seen any updates on your new transmission recently.

What is currently going on with your truck. Has your dealer commented on it getting stuck in 2nd gear? Are they still working this or are they just letting you hang and waiting for it to die?

Have you basically given up and only want a buyout at this point? If that is the case I could understand and I wish you luck.
Hey brotha. I have an appt on wed so we’ll see. They did replace the TC and transmission on mine. Mine lasted with new trans about 3000 miles so for anyone saying the problem is fixed it’s clearly not. I’ll keep you posted brotha.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I think that definitely is true. What would be helpful would be to know when it was resolved, and is there a build date after which we can feel safe?
Cannot believe this hasn’t been announced yet, I’m growing increasingly nervous about my trans and the fact mine was built in March. Deff one of the early 4th gen’s. I’m dissapointed in Toyota to leave us hanging like this on such a vehicle known for reliability, how can they expect owners who bought tacomas to wonder every time they drive if this will be when my trans takes a dump

Last edited:

Sponsored

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry
If you're talking to your lawyer, the first thing you were probably told is don't talk about this anywhere, especially social media. Discovery will bring up comments like "I think it's going to have problems after problems" which an opposing attorney may very-well use against you. Good luck.
he had a transmission fail at 2700 miles hes fine to talk and I don't think any Toyota exec is reading his forms looking for a way around his lawsuit.

ScottyTaco

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco and camry
Got my trd off road auto around may/June timeframe. Had new transmission put in around 2700 miles. Now I’m around 6900 miles and this 2nd transmission just got stuck in 2nd gear. Shut the truck off and turned back on and it had a couple rough shifts but it has went thru all the gears. It’s doing what the 1st trans did before it failed. So I guess it’s back to the dealership.
thats insane, I understand maybe at 40k, 50k on a new generation but 2700 and now it happened again thats really night ok.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Cannot believe this hasn’t been announced yet, I’m growing increasingly nervous about my trans and the fact mine was built in March. Deff one of the early 4th gen’s. I’m disappointed in Toyota to leave us hanging like this on such a vehicle known for reliability, how can they expect owners who bought tacomas to wonder every time they drive if this will be when my trans takes a dump
I agree. I think with a Taco it is worse than just when might it die and leave you stranded. How about where might it die? Maybe out in the backwoods on a trail and how the hell do you get it flat bedded out in that case?

Toyota needs to address this with specific information to give buyers the confidence in their 4x4 trucks that they have always had. Toyota earned that with years of building ultra reliable trucks and this one issue stands ready to piss that all away IMO.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I agree. I think with a Taco it is worse than just when might it die and leave you stranded. How about where might it die? Maybe out in the backwoods on a trail and how the hell do you get it flat bedded out in that case?

Toyota needs to address this with specific information to give buyers the confidence in their 4x4 trucks that they have always had. Toyota earned that with years of building ultra reliable trucks and this one issue stands ready to piss that all away IMO.
Absolutely …. Off road truck meant to go anywhere but yeah you might wanna bring a spare transmission with you… lame. Do better Toyota. If your marketing team and engineers are seeing this you have really dissapointed lot of people , the tundra issue shined a big enough spot light do you really want the spot light even bigger with your tacomas ???

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma Off-road

Now you understand why I am not a Sheldon Brown fan.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Now you understand why I am not a Sheldon Brown fan.
Yes I do.

He did a pretty dance around this subject and only admitted to a few early transmissions failing. He said that the sloppy build quality just results in poor shifting, like that isn't really a problem from Toyota's POV. It is a problem to me and I won't accept paying this kind of money if my truck shifts like crap.

I'm still fine with him being PR man, but it would go down better if he would start to tell us the truth.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Yes I do.

He did a pretty dance around this subject and only admitted to a few early transmissions failing. He said that the sloppy build quality just results in poor shifting, like that isn't really a problem from Toyota's POV. It is a problem to me and I won't accept paying this kind of money if my truck shifts like crap.

I'm still fine with him being PR man, but it would go down better if he would start to tell us the truth.
Did you call corporate and file a concern? I did already and I wish more people here would do this.