Sponsored

Pretty sure my transmission is on its way out.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Good call. If I end up with a transmission failure I will be pushing hard for them to change the radiator and maybe all of the plumbing too.
I can’t stand the idea of a dealership doing anything to my truck. Especially messing with any painted body parts or trim to access the radiator and plumbing. As a collision repair tech I know how much finesse it takes, I do it daily but mechanics don’t.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I can’t stand the idea of a dealership doing anything to my truck. Especially messing with any painted body parts or trim to access the radiator and plumbing. As a collision repair tech I know how much finesse it takes, I do it daily but mechanics don’t.
Yeah - good body work is an art and not a skill many mechanics have. I don't know if replacing the radiator would require doing anything to painted body work, but then you know more about that than I do.

I have said that I think you should take your truck to your dealer, but I am starting to think that you should wait. Obviously this situation is still developing and more trucks will end up being involved and more might need to be done than what the TSB outlines. I know that at least one replacement transmission failed and the buyer just took a buyout and ran.

So I think we might all just wait like you, @tacorancher and @-Strike- are doing. The best thing to do might be to just drive it until it stops shifting into some gears. At that point there will be codes and you will get a new transmission and hopefully by then this whole situation will be better understood.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Yeah - good body work is an art and not a skill many mechanics have. I don't know if replacing the radiator would require doing anything to painted body work, but then you know more about that than I do.

I have said that I think you should take your truck to your dealer, but I am starting to think that you should wait. Obviously this situation is still developing and more trucks will end up being involved and more might need to be done than what the TSB outlines. I know that at least one replacement transmission failed and the buyer just took a buyout and ran.

So I think we might all just wait like you, @tacorancher and @-Strike- are doing. The best thing to do might be to just drive it until it stops shifting into some gears. At that point there will be codes and you will get a new transmission and hopefully by then this whole situation will be better understood.

I think that’s right. Dumb question - aren’t the shavings going to be inside the tramsision fluid / in the trans and not in the coolant circulating around the trans?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I think that’s right. Dumb question - aren’t the shavings going to be inside the tramsision fluid / in the trans and not in the coolant circulating around the trans?
4Th gens have transmission coolers. The transmission fluid circulates through a section of the radiator at the bottom to keep it cool when the truck is working hard. It is a nice feature because it is meant to extend the life of your transmission. But that means that any shavings that are circulating will also be in the oil cooler and that system would either need to be flushed out or replaced.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
4Th gens have transmission coolers. The transmission fluid circulates through a section of the radiator at the bottom to keep it cool when the truck is working hard. It is a nice feature because it is meant to extend the life of your transmission. But that means that any shavings that are circulating will also be in the oil cooler and that system would either need to be flushed out or replaced.
I was under the impression they do not have separate coolers and just use the main radiator

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I was under the impression they do not have separate coolers and just use the main radiator
You could be right and I can't check my truck because it isn't available right now. I was basing that on what someone reported months ago when his transmission was replaced. I asked him why change the radiator and he said it was because of the transmission fluid cooler. I didn't realize Tacomas had that, but my Tundra had one, so it made sense.

Hopefully someone else knows and will reply. I won't get my truck back until Friday and I can check it then.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
You could be right and I can't check my truck because it isn't available right now. I was basing that on what someone reported months ago when his transmission was replaced. I asked him why change the radiator and he said it was because of the transmission fluid cooler. I didn't realize Tacomas had that, but my Tundra had one, so it made sense.

Hopefully someone else knows and will reply. I won't get my truck back until Friday and I can check it then.
Gotcha. Would be good to know. And I agree that the dealer doing all this is cringe.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Gotcha. Would be good to know. And I agree that the dealer doing all this is cringe.
Replacing the transmission is pretty simple for an A tech pretty cut and dry and not much that could be don’t wrong. As for the radiator and things that need to be removed to access it like little clips and harness retainers ehhhh real cringe. Only quality techs care about stuff like that

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Replacing the transmission is pretty simple for an A tech pretty cut and dry and not much that could be don’t wrong. As for the radiator and things that need to be removed to access it like little clips and harness retainers ehhhh real cringe. Only quality techs care about stuff like that
Yeah.. shit being left “loose” would drive me insane. Ugh. I have a feeling my transmission is fine but we shall see.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Yeah.. shit being left “loose” would drive me insane. Ugh. I have a feeling my transmission is fine but we shall see.
Yup, time will tell. I really wonder when mine will completely fail and who knows maybe it won’t fail but it dam sure falls in line with the symptoms of all those that have failed

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
If 2nd transmissions are failing Toyota has to fix this. And I want to wait until it’s a simple and known process. I’ve got plenty of time. Toyota knows this will cost them more in the long run in direct and reputational costs if they don’t get their shit in order
Sponsored