Sponsored

Professional ceramic coating vs. DIY options

Muckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
My neighbor recently got a new rig and got a ceramic coating applied - seven layers with a "lifetime warranty" that is added to the Carfax, yada yada yada. All for the fantastic price of about $1,600. First time I've been introduced to ceramic coating, which seems to be all the rage these days.

I have always handwaxed my prior vehicles 2-4 times a year with Nu Finish or Meguiars.

Is there truly that much of a difference between a $1,600 professional ceramic coating and sub-$30 DIY options such as Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions/Graphene Spray? Do ceramic coatings truly still bead up years after application as if they were just hand waxed a day ago?

I'm willing to spend the money to properly protect my new truck, but if I can achieve 90% of the performance at a fraction of the cost with a little bit of elbow grease, I'll gladly go that route.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I have read that the ceramics detailers apply are somehow better than the ones we can apply, but I think that is marketing bs. For that much money I would go with some PPF in critical spots and skip the professional application. That is what I intend to do when I get my Taco.

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Thanks for that link @Liquidassets. Hopefully a new truck would not need buffed, but I do have a random orbital buffer. I just sold a black car this spring that I maintained for 30 years, and that will teach you how to keep your paint in top shape.

So is that the difference between pro and diy ceramic? The pro level is a quartz coating which is harder to apply properly, compared to what is commonly available?

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
Thanks for that link @Liquidassets. Hopefully a new truck would not need buffed, but I do have a random orbital buffer. I just sold a black car this spring that I maintained for 30 years, and that will teach you how to keep your paint in top shape.

So is that the difference between pro and diy ceramic? The pro level is a quartz coating which is harder to apply properly, compared to what is commonly available?
The pro version may be harder to apply. It might flash quicker/slower, or go on uneven. I doubt there is any noticable difference though.

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
Hobbyist here. You can see my thread here

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/ceramic-coat-on-my-2024-tacoma-other-detailing.2291/

It takes a out 5-10 hours to do it right. There is no point in doing a ceramic coat unless you buff and correct the paint underneath. I'd say that most people haven't used a random orbital before. The cquartz ceramic coat takes a while. It's pretty tedious, but definitely diy-able if you are patient.
I see we use a lot of the same products.

There is a lot of labor involved, so I understand the associated costs. For those who offer warranties, they require manufacturer training, which also involves additional costs for the installer.

Then again, $1,600 or so will get you a lot if you're willing to try it yourself; it depends on your motivation.

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Wash your truck in a touchless automatic, dry with quality edgeless microfiber towel and a light misting of detailer spray! Wax every 6 months. The detailer spray will maintain water beading between waxes. Save the $1600 for something worthwhile. I have done this for years on numerous vehicles including black with no swirls, bird crap stains, etc. and the paint looks new after years of ownership.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Wash your truck in a touchless automatic, dry with quality edgeless microfiber towel and a light misting of detailer spray! Wax every 6 months. The detailer spray will maintain water beading between waxes. Save the $1600 for something worthwhile. I have done this for years on numerous vehicles including black with no swirls, bird crap stains, etc. and the paint looks new after years of ownership.
You're my people.

I do the exact same thing. I don't wax every six months; I have my car detailed at a local shop whom I trust, but it's essentially the same thing. Touchless wash, detailer spray, wheels and tires, windows, done.

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
You correct the swirls and scratches in the clear coat. I meant to say correct the clear coat/paint under the ceramic coat. The ceramic coat will seal any imperfections.

RollingThunder

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I have read that the ceramics detailers apply are somehow better than the ones we can apply, but I think that is marketing bs. For that much money I would go with some PPF in critical spots and skip the professional application. That is what I intend to do when I get my Taco.
Here in California it's crazy expensive. I called around where I'm at in Northern California and to get a matte PPF install on the entire truck is $8-11k! I even called around to some places in LA and got it down to $6k for full coverage. So, just the front end coverage would be $3-5k for PPF. Ceramic is cheaper but not by much here. To do a full ceramic coating I got a quote for DQuartz for $2600. I opted not to do a PPF and instead will do a DIY ceramic coating. This is what I will be using:

https://www.chemicalguys.com/products/hydroslick-ceramic-coating-kit

It's definitely not the 3-5 yr durability but I figured it would be a good foundation and if I keep up with the washing and reapplication, I should be OK. After all, it is a truck and will be used as one
Sponsored