Sponsored

Q and A: 2024 Off-Road in Manual Transmission

TacoMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Offroad MT
Got one on order.
Watched most, if not all online overviews and reviews.
I'm new to 4X4 and trucks and overlanding, and driven stickshift on sedans my whole life (30+ years)

1. What's the deal with Rev Hang? I've watched stuff about people tapping the throttle to rev-match to avoid 'lurching', though I've never experienced this on manual cars in the past. Is Rev Hang truly a deal breaker for most? I'm a conservative, cautious driver and not looking to make sportscar-like quick shifts, so I'm wondering how big of a deal this actually is.
2. Is iMT really an advantage? Seems to me that it might be simply a feature to help those that are new to MT and marketed to these people as a way to make shifting and RPMs easier. Personally I don't want a computer deciding where the RPMs are and I've never had an issue in the past. For manual 'purists', have you really noticed any advantages?
3. Crawl control is missing on the MT, and iMT is supposed to have anti-stall technology. So could you have pseudo-crawl control by simply going into iMT mode in 4L, and simply let out the clutch and keep right foot at-the-ready on the brake? Presumably the iMT will adjust the throttle just enough to keep slow forward momentum without letting it stall?
4. What 'real' differences do you notice in different modes (Eco, Normal, Sport) on the MT. What do you practically use each mode for?

Here to learn- Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
1- rev hang - i got use to it now .. i think over the time rev hang is going away not sure if this is true . I have driven 14000 km
2-imt - i hate it bcz my truck have a issue i cant figure it out . Sometimes when i use it if i am reving high to speed up in 2nd gear or 3rd as soon my clutch is on floor to change next gear i get grind noice and feel on clutch . But it doesnt happen all the time . Mostly when going uphills and also if i get off gas slowly before changing gear i mean very slow then there is no grind but if i press the clutch right away after i leave gas i get this issue on clutch
3-crawl control - i donā€™t need it i donā€™t do do extreme off roading
4- modes - i think truck drives way better in sports mode . Gas mileage is same in all modes for me . I use sports everywhere except highway

OP
OP

TacoMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Offroad MT
interesting about the grinding noise, Sandeep. Have you noticed if it only happens with iMT on or off?

Larryappleton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR MT
Got one on order.
Watched most, if not all online overviews and reviews.
I'm new to 4X4 and trucks and overlanding, and driven stickshift on sedans my whole life (30+ years)

1. What's the deal with Rev Hang? I've watched stuff about people tapping the throttle to rev-match to avoid 'lurching', though I've never experienced this on manual cars in the past. Is Rev Hang truly a deal breaker for most? I'm a conservative, cautious driver and not looking to make sportscar-like quick shifts, so I'm wondering how big of a deal this actually is.
2. Is iMT really an advantage? Seems to me that it might be simply a feature to help those that are new to MT and marketed to these people as a way to make shifting and RPMs easier. Personally I don't want a computer deciding where the RPMs are and I've never had an issue in the past. For manual 'purists', have you really noticed any advantages?
3. Crawl control is missing on the MT, and iMT is supposed to have anti-stall technology. So could you have pseudo-crawl control by simply going into iMT mode in 4L, and simply let out the clutch and keep right foot at-the-ready on the brake? Presumably the iMT will adjust the throttle just enough to keep slow forward momentum without letting it stall?
4. What 'real' differences do you notice in different modes (Eco, Normal, Sport) on the MT. What do you practically use each mode for?

Here to learn- Thanks in advance
congrats on the order!
I have had my TRD OR 6MT for just over a week.
1) I find as long as Iā€™m not trying to make the shifts too quickly, I donā€™t notice the rev hang at all anymore. Feels like a really great gearbox.
2) I donā€™t use iMT at all - I much prefer the feel of manually rev matching etc.
4) I also feel like the truck drives best in sport, but I havenā€™t spent tons of time in each of the modes just yet.
I have been driving manual for 25 years, and the transmission makes this truck for me - it is a ton of fun and really enjoyable. I hope you enjoy your new ride!

Paul_1978

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport+ 6M
I have 7k+ on my TRD Sport+ 6m, loving it.

1.) Haven't noticed the rev hang, its a truck I am not looking for quick shifts
2.) iMT is growing on me; been driving manual vehicles for 30 years never had any "tech" and did not think I needed or would like it. It takes an adjustment to your to learn a new style of driving an manual, but when adjust its so smooth and its going to make the clutch last. Braking/Downshifting, I have caught myself hitting my gear a few seconds before I am ready to let the clutch out and the rev blip is annoying.
3.) Haven't tried anything requiring 4L.
4.) I keep going back to sport, the steering stiffness and throttle response just seems better.

Sponsored

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
interesting about the grinding noise, Sandeep. Have you noticed if it only happens with iMT on or off?
Its is worst with imt on . I pretty sure its not clutch its something attached to clutch or gear box that grind . Dealership have no solution to this . So to avoid this i have let gas off slow and then wait sec or 2 before putting disengaging the clutch . If u see second gear is very deep in other gears i can shift around 2000 rpm and there is no issue . But with second gear needs to go at or above 2500 rpm so in third gear engine doesnā€™t lug that when the problem is . Me pushing rpm 2500 or above i gota wait for for few sec to disengage clutch

kweevuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 6MT OR
Rev hang was the same in my past Mazda 3. Itā€™s slightly annoying, but Iā€™m used to it. Itā€™s just something Iā€™ll deal with as a trade off that a manufacturer still makes manuals so I donā€™t make it a big deal.
I donā€™t see how people would heel toe here, the issue is you are waiting for the RPMs to come down, so applying more throttle wonā€™t help.

the only time it gets me is if Iā€™m trying to maybe beat a light or have to get off the line quick. Otherwise Iā€™m not trying for the quickest shift

iMT stays off. I have a similar feature in my 6th gen Camaro for rev matching. It can be a learning tool. When I first started doing track events it was useful, but I worked to learn to properly heel/toe and never use it on other. Good thing is it stays off if you donā€™t want it.

the modes to me have a drastic change in throttle response. Still somewhat gimmicky to me. Just rather have a normal response.

I still think itā€™s 100% worth it and the reason I did buy the Tacoma

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
At almost 3000 miles on my MT Tacoma I have become completely comfortable with the truck. Muscle memory has taken its place with my shifting. Sometimes I use imt when in city for light to light traffic the rev match is helpful. But if I am in sport mode imt is off and I am using the truck like a traditional manual transmission. I just love the shifting! Love the truck! As far as 4x4 usage I have used sport mode 4hi no traction control to drift and slide in wet muddy fields and 4lo in eco to crawl slow in forest on muddy tractor trails. 4lo is not crawl control with rev match. Itā€™s just a very low geared tractor like mode that will stall out like any traditional manual transmission. The modes really affect how the truck spools up the turbo. I have found personally it is easier for me to make smooth shifts in normal and sport mode. Eco is torque heavy and more difficult for smoother shifting in lower gears. My learning curve phase is over. This is my truck now. I highly recommend MT turbo Tacoma. So much fun! Oh and I do run 93 octane and noticed a difference in performance from 87 octane. Your going to love shifting and boosting that truck!

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
I have 5700+ km in my OR 6MT and have done some pretty gnarly off roading with it as well.

1. Rev hang, yeah itā€™s there, but I only notice it shifting 1-2 and 2-3. If youā€™re fine with slower shifts then it wonā€™t bother you at all. Itā€™s not a sports car.

2. iMT, I love it, but Iā€™m lazy. Iā€™m used to driving 18 speed manuals which are much less touchy on the throttle, so for the sake of smoother shifts I just use the iMT, that way I can downshift and brake at the same time.

3. Crawl control, I did some pretty steep trails with loose rock and mud and I didnā€™t wish I had crawl control at all. 1st gear is very low already and 1st gear 4LO is VERY low. I spun out once on some loose rocks because I didnā€™t have the locker in and thought I might have to use the clutch cancel start feature. I held the brake while I let out the clutch, once I started to feel the clutch grab I let off the brake and gave it a touch of gas and it just walked away. I was VERY impressed with the crawl-ability. Going down the steep sections I barely had to touch the brakes, there was enough engine compression at around 2000-2500rpm to hold the truck back easily.

My only mods are wheels and tires. In stock form the Off Road model is a beast on the trails.

2024 Tacoma Q and A: 2024 Off-Road in Manual Transmission IMG_9320
2024 Tacoma Q and A: 2024 Off-Road in Manual Transmission IMG_9283

OP
OP

TacoMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Offroad MT
At almost 3000 miles on my MT Tacoma I have become completely comfortable with the truck. Muscle memory has taken its place with my shifting. Sometimes I use imt when in city for light to light traffic the rev match is helpful. But if I am in sport mode imt is off and I am using the truck like a traditional manual transmission. I just love the shifting! Love the truck! As far as 4x4 usage I have used sport mode 4hi no traction control to drift and slide in wet muddy fields and 4lo in eco to crawl slow in forest on muddy tractor trails. 4lo is not crawl control with rev match. Itā€™s just a very low geared tractor like mode that will stall out like any traditional manual transmission. The modes really affect how the truck spools up the turbo. I have found personally it is easier for me to make smooth shifts in normal and sport mode. Eco is torque heavy and more difficult for smoother shifting in lower gears. My learning curve phase is over. This is my truck now. I highly recommend MT turbo Tacoma. So much fun! Oh and I do run 93 octane and noticed a difference in performance from 87 octane. Your going to love shifting and boosting that truck!
Awesome..when you're going for a low crawl, do you keep the clutch slightly engaged with a bit more throttle to avoid stalling (i.e. wanting to go slowly up an incline?). I've read that it can cause greater wear on the clutch?

Sponsored

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
Awesome..when you're going for a low crawl, do you keep the clutch slightly engaged with a bit more throttle to avoid stalling (i.e. wanting to go slowly up an incline?). I've read that it can cause greater wear on the clutch?
Yes you might have to do that, and yes it does cause more wear. BUT, first gear 4LO is so low that you would have to be very steep in order for that to come into play. At that point, consider the clutch cancel start feature. If you had to feather the throttle while letting the clutch out a few times over the lifetime of the clutch itā€™s not going to be a big deal, notice I said FEATHER the throttle.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I use none of those features, I just drive it like it was one of my older Toyota trucks. Less computer fussing and just drive it like a manual is supposed to be driven, no problems.

2024 Tacoma Q and A: 2024 Off-Road in Manual Transmission thumbnail_20240415_162458
Sponsored