Replacing factory dash speakers, non-JBL

TacoMagic

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Installed some new dash speakers today. Factory stereo, SR5, non-JBL.

Replacement is on the left, factory on the right in that first photo.

2024 Tacoma Replacing factory dash speakers, non-JBL IMG_2311

Seemed like quite a few people have used these in automotive applications so I figured I’d give them a try. I used TacoTunes speaker harness adapters.

Started with the passenger side, popped off speaker cover and used a 10mm wrench to get the screws out.

Replacement FaitalPRO dropped right in and lined right up with the holes. Secured the screws down and popped the cover back on and tried some A B listening while adjusting the balance on the stereo. Definite improvement.

Now, on to the driver side. The gauge cluster hump provided some problems, as the new speaker with four points of attachment couldn’t lay flat. Either cut the tab off the speaker, or Dremel down the area it would occupy.

I chose to use a Dremel with a sanding drum to make some room. Finally got it to fit. Screwed down the other two mounting tabs and we’re in business. Speaker grill popped back on with no problem.

They are being powered with the recently added Beat Sonic plug and play amp. Highs were a tad harsh, so I knocked the treble and mid bass in the fader/balance.

Overall, prettt happy. Cutting out the dash took the most amount of time. Just be careful with a spinnysander tool around your delicate pieces. Use two hands. Wait for the bit to stop before moving it.

FaitalPRO 4” at Parts Express
Sponsored

Last edited:

bresna

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I definitely would have cut the tab off of the $40 speaker than cut up the dash of a $40,000 truck. :)

OP
OP

TacoMagic

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4x4
Definitely not a significant change. I also had to consider if I needed to return the speakers if I didn’t like them. The “damage” is all under a speaker grill and once buttoned up, you can’t even tell.
Sponsored