Sponsored

SR vs TRD OR (Manual Transmission/Price)

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
I'm debating (and I need to go test drive a 3rd gen and 4th gen Tacoma first) between a Tacoma, Frontier Pro4x, and keeping my 2 door Bronco.

I got a pretty good deal on the Bronco (reserved at the beginning, got all the rebates), so basically I can still sell now with 18k miles and only lose $2k off what I paid. The Bronco has been great so far, but I worry down the road with Ford quality. It's a manual, and I like how it drives, seats are extremely comfortable, washout, etc. it's a good fit for my lifestyle........but..........a truck would make it really easy to just throw everything I do in the back and roll (MTB, kiteboard, surfboard, etc.)

I'm wanting to split even or make money, so that's roughly $43k to play with. I've only bought 2 new vehicles a JK and the Bronco, and I built them exactly what I wanted and picked it up. It seems a TRD OR with a manual under $50k doesn't exist.

Here are my thoughts, I don't care about a lot of the electronics (Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot, etc.), I just want 4x4 and a manual. I plan on using the truck with less off roading, but still have the capability, (The Bronco has been to Uwharrie, Georgia, various moderate to slightly difficult trails). A rear locker isn't a deal-breaker on this one. So.......what am I losing by getting the SR, pulling the air dam out, and maybe updating the wheels/tires to the TRD OR (if they will fit) down the road? I'm basically looking at a roughly $8k difference or so at MSRP between the SR ($36k-ish or so) and the TRD OR ($43k), with the caveat that I will probably never find one at the base $43k price without add-ons.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
If the locker isnā€™t a deal breaker, what youā€™re losing by going with the SR, is the suspension. Specifically the coil spring rear suspension and the off road tailored Bilstein shocks. Sounds like you donā€™t NEED the upgrades of the Off Road model. That said I love my Off Road manual and the suspension is very comfortable in bumpy terrain.

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the locker isnā€™t a deal breaker, what youā€™re losing by going with the SR, is the suspension. Specifically the coil spring rear suspension and the off road tailored Bilstein shocks. Sounds like you donā€™t NEED the upgrades of the Off Road model. That said I love my Off Road manual and the suspension is very comfortable in bumpy terrain.
Yeah, I realized that once I dove into a bit more. I have Bilstein on my current Bronco, it's a nice ride on and off road. I'll go test drive them......but considering there's basically no stock TRD ORD's it's going to price me into a SR, a Frontier Pro-4x, or keeping what I've got, it's paid off, so there's no circumstance where interest rates come into play.

It's more a debate if I think the Bronco is going to last long term versus a Gen 3 or Gen 4 Tacoma. I've already put 17k miles on it in a year and a half doing mtb/surf trips mostly.

scottiev

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I'm debating (and I need to go test drive a 3rd gen and 4th gen Tacoma first) between a Tacoma, Frontier Pro4x, and keeping my 2 door Bronco.

I got a pretty good deal on the Bronco (reserved at the beginning, got all the rebates), so basically I can still sell now with 18k miles and only lose $2k off what I paid. The Bronco has been great so far, but I worry down the road with Ford quality. It's a manual, and I like how it drives, seats are extremely comfortable, washout, etc. it's a good fit for my lifestyle........but..........a truck would make it really easy to just throw everything I do in the back and roll (MTB, kiteboard, surfboard, etc.)

I'm wanting to split even or make money, so that's roughly $43k to play with. I've only bought 2 new vehicles a JK and the Bronco, and I built them exactly what I wanted and picked it up. It seems a TRD OR with a manual under $50k doesn't exist.

Here are my thoughts, I don't care about a lot of the electronics (Adaptive Cruise Control, blind spot, etc.), I just want 4x4 and a manual. I plan on using the truck with less off roading, but still have the capability, (The Bronco has been to Uwharrie, Georgia, various moderate to slightly difficult trails). A rear locker isn't a deal-breaker on this one. So.......what am I losing by getting the SR, pulling the air dam out, and maybe updating the wheels/tires to the TRD OR (if they will fit) down the road? I'm basically looking at a roughly $8k difference or so at MSRP between the SR ($36k-ish or so) and the TRD OR ($43k), with the caveat that I will probably never find one at the base $43k price without add-ons.

Thoughts?
I found a fairly base OR for about $45K out the door, but had to have it shipped in from out of state. The manual is brilliant. Much better than the Bronco.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found a fairly base OR for about $45K out the door, but had to have it shipped in from out of state. The manual is brilliant. Much better than the Bronco.
Nice, this is good info. I actually really like the Bronco manual over the JK/JL (especially the JL).

The way I'm looking at it........I can get it roughly for let's say $38k out the door:

New 2024 Toyota Tacoma R01794 | Toyota Dealership in North Charleston, SC (hendricktoyotanorthcharleston.com)

Sales tax is only $500 in SC, and I'll find a dealer with no fees hopefully. So, $38k out the door, I can definitely have some money to spare for updated wheels/tires possibly just to beef it up a bit.

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2023 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma
Don't know if this is going to matter to you, but it's not for nothing: The SR has the same frame and suspension mounts as the OR. If you're planning to upgrade your suspension anyways, you can do coils with almost no hassle.
Sponsored