Tail Gate Assist?

scottsjjackson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
I'm looking for a tail gate assist for my SR5. I have put one on every truck I've ever had and can't seem to find one for the 2024. It's similar to a hydraulic hood strut and it usually just attaches with a bracket on one side of the tail gate to assist it in lowering so it doesn't slam down if you aren't holding it. Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I thought all the trims without power tailgates had the damped lowering, but it does not sound like your SR5 does. If that is already on trims above the SR5 then it means a small market and explains the lack of options out there.

OP
OP

scottsjjackson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
They all already have a tailgate assist for slowly lowering it n
They absolutely do not. My SR5 has no lowering assist at all. It’s just the cables on either side

Sponsored

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
They absolutely do not. My SR5 has no lowering assist at all. It’s just the cables on either side
Does it just slam down or drop slowly? The Tacoma doesn’t have a strut, it’s in the hinge mechanism itself, same as the third gen.

OP
OP

scottsjjackson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
Does it just slam down or drop slowly? The Tacoma doesn’t have a strut, it’s in the hinge mechanism itself, same as the third gen.
I’m pretty sure it just slams down. Maybe I’m doing it wrong?? I mess with it but I’m pretty sure it just drops.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I’m pretty sure it just slams down. Maybe I’m doing it wrong?? I mess with it but I’m pretty sure it just drops.
That’s weird. All the fourth gen’s I’ve opened the tailgates on have the drop assist or whatever it’s called.

OP
OP

scottsjjackson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
That’s weird. All the fourth gen’s I’ve opened the tailgates on have the drop assist or whatever it’s called.
Just walked outside and tried it. It definitely just slams down. I’m looking to see if it’s an OEM part. But I can’t find it
Sponsored