Sponsored

Tips on Toyota financing, trading in, and more?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Anyone who's bought with Toyota in the past have any tips worth noting when it comes to dealing with sales people, and getting the best bang for your buck on your trade in?

This will be my first time trying to work a deal with Toyota, and probably the only time I'm slightly worried about my trade in offer they're going to offer me.

Any advice on what to do, say, and what I could do to my current Toyota to retain as much as that trade in value as possible will be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure may help others down the road too.
Sponsored

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I traded a 2019 Tacoma SR5 4x4 iwith 49200 miles for my new OR Premium on last Friday. I had it cleaned well inside and out and had the tires cleaned and dressed. I stressed that I needed a good trade in number to make this deal work. They came in at 28k initially and that went to 28500 as we finalized the deal and I asked for more off before going to get the cashiers check. According to KBB for my zip code that truck trade in was 29-31. Trading it in saved me over $1700 in taxes. I felt it was a plus trading in a very good condition Tacoma that I knew they could sell quickly.

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
Anyone who's bought with Toyota in the past have any tips worth noting when it comes to dealing with sales people, and getting the best bang for your buck on your trade in?

This will be my first time trying to work a deal with Toyota, and probably the only time I'm slightly worried about my trade in offer they're going to offer me.

Any advice on what to do, say, and what I could do to my current Toyota to retain as much as that trade in value as possible will be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure may help others down the road too.
Since the 6MT Tacoma's are not being built, while my allocation sits idle, I have been exploring other avenue's besides using my 2016 SR for trade-in at the dealer I have my allocation at.

The used car market prices are falling, so I am testing the waters now.

I have an appointment with another dealer Friday to see what they will offer me. Two more contacted me after I did the KBB cash offer analysis, but I will wait and see what this Toyota dealer offers. Carvana is no hassle, but they are lower in offer price.

I will keep trying other dealers, larger market areas than my small-town dealer.

My 22 Corolla goes in for service on Saturday at another dealer, so I will ask the used sales guy about my 2016 SR.

While we wait for our 6MT, I will be busy. If I get a good offer, I will sell it to them before used prices go down further.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
Do a search on Auto Trader, Province wide and Canada wide, to see what approximately the retail value of your car is. Check with your dealer to see what they will give you for it, they will only give you wholesale. If you don't like their offer,post it on Kijij or Auto Trader for somewhere in the price range of the retail found in your research. If you find a buyer, the dealer will usually facilitate the deal and you still get your tax savings...and they might even help the new buyer of your car with financing..The problem being that the buyer of your car might want it now..not being willing to wait until your new truck arrives. When I sold my 2020 OR the private buyer gave me a deposit and waited until my new 2022 Sport came in.
I had more interest in it on Kijiji verses Auto Trader. A friend of mine here in Nova Scotia just sold his 2022 OR to a guy in Que through kijiji.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Since the 6MT Tacoma's are not being built,
Who told you this? I've seen atleast two 6MTs posted online, and mine's due to arrive anyday in Canada, verified by dealer very recently

Sponsored

fjtotaco

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
pinnacledragons.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road
1. Do your research on the value of your trade in and how much you owe.
2. Do your research on the vehicle you want and what the vehicle is going for from different dealers. Look into many dealers, it may take a few dealers to find the vehicle you want and the deal you want.
3. Do not be afraid to walk. Some dealers will come back with the deal you want or be real close if they want to sell the vehicle.
4. Buy at the end of the month, they want to sell to make better numbers and this can work for you. :)

5. Don't be afraid to ask for their invoice. I was denied this by a couple dealers and I walked.

My experience more than one Toyota. 4 Toyotas.

******* NOTE: Toyota pays at least $2000.00 under MSRP *******

My Tacoma: 2015 TRD OR. MSRP 34,210.56 I asked to see the invoice and it was 32,212.56
I offered $200.00 over invoice and they said yes. Mind you I had been e-mailing dealers for 4 months, they were competing for my business via e-mail.

You are and should be the buyer, you be in control. Stick to your guns and do not be pushed around some dealers will try.
You have the money.... Get the truck you want! :)

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I traded a 2019 Tacoma SR5 4x4 iwith 49200 miles for my new OR Premium on last Friday. I had it cleaned well inside and out and had the tires cleaned and dressed. I stressed that I needed a good trade in number to make this deal work. They came in at 28k initially and that went to 28500 as we finalized the deal and I asked for more off before going to get the cashiers check. According to KBB for my zip code that truck trade in was 29-31. Trading it in saved me over $1700 in taxes. I felt it was a plus trading in a very good condition Tacoma that I knew they could sell quickly.
An update to my initial post here. My sales guy called me to check on how the new Tacoma was doing and to tell me the one I traded in sold also. Not sure about everyone's area but in Dallas, trucks sell well!

Take the time to clean it well and make it look good. They told me they just had to do a few things to it to get it out on the lot.

Here is a picture of the 2019 4x4 SR5 the day I traded. Good memories in that truck. I taught my son how to drive in that truck which became his first truck and I remember teaching him to drive in 4x4 in the snow in our Dallas blizzard of 2021!

2024 Tacoma Tips on Toyota financing, trading in, and more? 2019TacomaSR5.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE
OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
1. Do your research on the value of your trade in and how much you owe.
2. Do your research on the vehicle you want and what the vehicle is going for from different dealers. Look into many dealers, it may take a few dealers to find the vehicle you want and the deal you want.
3. Do not be afraid to walk. Some dealers will come back with the deal you want or be real close if they want to sell the vehicle.
4. Buy at the end of the month, they want to sell to make better numbers and this can work for you. :)

5. Don't be afraid to ask for their invoice. I was denied this by a couple dealers and I walked.

My experience more than one Toyota. 4 Toyotas.

******* NOTE: Toyota pays at least $2000.00 under MSRP *******

My Tacoma: 2015 TRD OR. MSRP 34,210.56 I asked to see the invoice and it was 32,212.56
I offered $200.00 over invoice and they said yes. Mind you I had been e-mailing dealers for 4 months, they were competing for my business via e-mail.

You are and should be the buyer, you be in control. Stick to your guns and do not be pushed around some dealers will try.
You have the money.... Get the truck you want! :)
Thanks! All the advise I've been getting leads me to believe I'm going in over prepared, which isn't a bad thing. That was a nice looking 2019, and funny enough the Camry behind it is exactly like the one I own. Maybe it's a sign 😉😂

jxflyer

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
An update to my initial post here. My sales guy called me to check on how the new Tacoma was doing and to tell me the one I traded in sold also. Not sure about everyone's area but in Dallas, trucks sell well!

Take the time to clean it well and make it look good. They told me they just had to do a few things to it to get it out on the lot.

Here is a picture of the 2019 4x4 SR5 the day I traded. Good memories in that truck. I taught my son how to drive in that truck which became his first truck and I remember teaching him to drive in 4x4 in the snow in our Dallas blizzard of 2021!

2019TacomaSR5.JPG

2019TacomaSR5.JPG
Hey I missed it somewhere… who did you work with in the DFW area? Would you work with them again?

I’m DFW dealer shopping.

Thanks!

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
Get an online quote from carvana and CarMax. I think most car dealerships would match this. If you have sales tax, then you get the added benefit of deducting this base on your trade in.

Sponsored

PNWblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Depends on the dealership with how they price out trades, but always negotiate the offer and be prepared to walk away if they lowball you. Also, always come to the table pre-approved for a loan and make the dealer beat the interest rate.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey I missed it somewhere… who did you work with in the DFW area? Would you work with them again?

I’m DFW dealer shopping.

Thanks!
Longo Toyota in Prosper. Have also worked with Freeman Toyota in Hurst and Toyota of Dallas. None charge a market adjustment. I use Toyota of Plano which is next to Toyota's North American Headquarters, for service since they are the closest to me.

I use Longo for parts. They have a great online price and only charge $2 for local pick up. Ordered the bed mat for $144 from them.

Last edited:

jxflyer

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Longo Toyota in Prosper. Have also worked with Freeman Toyota in Hurst and Toyota of Dallas. None charge a market adjustment. I use Toyota of Plano which is next to Toyota's North American Headquarters, for service since they are the closest to me.

I use Longo for parts. They have a great online price and only charge $2 for local pick up. Ordered the bed mat for $144 from them.
Cool, thanks! That's great intel. I was hesitant about Toyota of Dallas, but they are right down the street from us. I guess I'll give them a shot. Appreciate it.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool, thanks! That's great intel. I was hesitant about Toyota of Dallas, but they are right down the street from us. I guess I'll give them a shot. Appreciate it.
Make sure to Negotiate! Darren the managing partner is a great guy! They also maintain a huge fleet of pre owned so if you are trading, make sure to get a good price on your trade!

paulbdotcom

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
This is a fantastic thread.
I will defiantly employ some of these tactics. Here is how I begin negotiations:
** Please note all my numbers are guestimates - nothing real.

1- Research my vehicles value. First KBB, next private sale, then dealer sale. My example: 2022 TRD Offroad (TRD lift/Pro wheels, 15K). KBB=$36,000. Private=$39,500. Dealer=$42,900.
2- Find the vehicle I like (2024 Tacoma TRD Sport/Premium). Locate one that matches my specs and record MSRP $53,000
3- Mass email time. I include ALL dealers located within about 150 miles. Email them all with what I WANT for my trade ($40,000) and what I want to pay for the new one ($50,000).
4- Maybe 2-3 dealers will email me back (out of about 15), then I begin actual negotiations-all on phone/email. I NEVER go to the dealer. That is a giant vacuum.
5- When I arrive at the dealer, it's to sign papers.
Sponsored