Sponsored

Tow/Haul Mode downshifting

Tacoscott24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
Has anyone experienced a kind of lugging downshift say 3rd and 2nd gear when it shifts down harder than usual it kind of throws you forward a little bit. It only does it when tow haul mode is activated any thought's. It’s had me worried considering my truck falls into the new tsb Toyota issued. It might be completely normal.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
Probably because it’s in tow haul mode ? Lol do you understand the purpose of it? Mine does the same but truck is faster when I drive in it for fun. Sport mode sucks steering wheel gets all heavy like as if I was in a sports car

OP
OP

Tacoscott24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
Probably because it’s in tow haul mode ? Lol do you understand the purpose of it? Mine does the same but truck is faster when I drive in it for fun. Sport mode sucks steering wheel gets all heavy like as if I was in a sports car
True that’s the whole reason why I like tow/haul it’s definitely more responsive and better my opinion than any other mode. I didn’t know if that was normal though

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Completely normal. I just did 2700 miles of towing, along with going up and down I-70, I think the torque converter likes to lock up quicker to prevent the trans fluid from getting too hot.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Tacoscott24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
Completely normal. I just did 2700 miles of towing, along with going up and down I-70, I think the torque converter likes to lock up quicker to prevent the trans fluid from getting too hot.
And I forgot to mention I’m referring to when I’m slowing down and coming to a stop is when it does it.

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
That’s normal for tow/haul mode on most any vehicle. The transmission will downshift sooner to take advantage of engine compression at higher rpm to help slow the load down as you come to a stop.
Sponsored