Sponsored

TRD Off-road stock rear shock travel.

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
Ok, so based on the specs of the stock shocks on the TRD Off Road model (46mm pistons, remote reservoirs) we have a pretty competent platform here. We also have some extra travel built-in due to the sway bar disconnect option (in the front anyway). In the past, spacer lifts have been looked down upon because of the frame mounted bump stops. This isnā€™t an issue anymore due to the shock integral bump stops. I have no doubt that a 1-2ā€ front lift (preload spacer and/or top hat spacer) would be well within the wheelhouse of the stock front shocks and ball joints and still be very off road-able.

My main question lies with the rear shocks. In the past 5100s would be recommended for any lift around 1ā€ to get back lost travel. You could argue now, that 5100s wouldnā€™t be much of an upgrade, on paper anyway. Since extra travel is built into the front shocks due to the sway bar disconnect option (which my truck doesnā€™t have), do you think the stock rear shocks would have enough travel to remain off road-able with a 1ā€ rear lift? Join me in speculating based on your previous experience with small lifts.

Now when I say ā€œoff road-ableā€ Iā€™m thinking somewhere between bouldering and logging roads. Nothing super technical, but I like a rough mountain trail, with the odd stream crossing far away from the RAV4s and CR-Vs.
Sponsored

Last edited: