Sponsored

TRD Pro vs. TRD OR Premium

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
I’m fortunate to own both 2024 Tacomas, TRD Pro and TRD OR Premium. This comparison is not a one is better than the other, only my opinion of how they compare. I’m only posting to provide information to the community.

I’m very happy with both trucks, happy enough with the ORP, that I did not want to trade. My son drives it almost as much as I do. That’s the main reason we chose to have both.

Ownership-
TRD Pro Terra - 105 miles 7/3/24
TRD OR Underground - 6300 miles 3/30/24

Engine-
OR iForce engine is smooth with very little hesitation when accelerating, even from dead stop. The torque is not lacking but not something you really feel. Engine does sound a little rough, diesel like.

PRO iForce Max is very smooth, feels more refined. Part of this could be the exhaust sound. Doesn’t really make sense to me, but the engine seems more refined, quieter smoother idle. Maybe this will change with break in. The torque difference is noticeable at all speeds, smooths out the acceleration, and you can feel it pulling. Not really punchy, but smooth pull.

Ride Quality-
I had a 40 mile drive home from dealership and to be honest, I wasn’t impressed with the TRD Pro ride. Seemed soft, bouncy and steering was not as precise as my OR. I know from experience the tire pressures, suspension and OEM tires have a major effect on this. So the first thing I did was increase the tire pressure for 30 to 37. Then checked the Fox shock settings. From the factory they were set on 2, I adjusted to 1 for a firmer suspension. This is perfect! Firm controlled ride, but comfortable on rough roads. My OR has MT Baja Boss 285/70/17 tires and they were a huge improvement over OEM. The OR ride quality is excellent but firmer on big bumps, like it’s bottoming out then rebounding fast. The Pro feels more comfortable, soaks up the big bumps better, without needing new tires to improve ride and handling. No complaints about either suspension, but they do feel different.

AC-
OR- chirps on start up, occasionally as compressor kicks on. The AC cycles constantly about every 15 seconds.
Pro- quiet AC compressor. No chirp or fan cycling with compressor. I’m thinking this may change with break in because I didn’t recall the OR cycling on/off until about 1,000 miles.

Seats-
OR seats are very comfortable, and easy to slide into. Decent legroom in back seat. The backseats are not uncomfortable but not the best. At 5’10”, with my feet on floor the seats don’t support my thighs.

Pro ISO Dynamic seats hug your body. The bolsters are high on the sides of thighs. I’m of average build and they are snug on my thighs. This also makes it a little more challenging to slide into seat, between steering wheel. Manual recline is satisfactory. You can’t lay back, but you’re not forced to sit straight up. Obviously the ISO seats affect the rear legroom, but with front seats adjusted for 5’10”, my 5’9” wife is able to sit comfortably in the backseats. She said the back seats are more comfortable because they’re taller than the backseats in the OR. The taller seats support the thigh better, but you lose a little headroom.

Paint-
OR Underground color is nice. It’s glossy, but muted. The paint seems a little soft based on 1 or 2 chips that I have.

Pro Terra color is awesome on the Taco. Not sure if it’s the body style, black accents or the size but this color is great on Taco. To me, it does not look like same color on the Tundra. Perfect on Tacoma, different but not loud like some of the special Pro colors. It does have some metallic flake, but not large metallic flakes.

Keep in mind, I’m not a professional writer😁. This is my initial comparison after only 100 miles in the TRD Pro. From my experience there’s no reason for the owner of either model to feel like they have an inferior truck. They’re both great, but different.

2024 Tacoma TRD Pro vs. TRD OR Premium IMG_1517

2024 Tacoma TRD Pro vs. TRD OR Premium IMG_1523

2024 Tacoma TRD Pro vs. TRD OR Premium IMG_1520
Sponsored

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3G TRD OR
I’m fortunate to own both 2024 Tacomas, TRD Pro and TRD OR Premium. This comparison is not a one is better than the other, only my opinion of how they compare. I’m only posting to provide information to the community.

I’m very happy with both trucks, happy enough with the ORP, that I did not want to trade. My son drives it almost as much as I do. That’s the main reason we chose to have both.

Ownership-
TRD Pro Terra - 105 miles 7/3/24
TRD OR Underground - 6300 miles 3/30/24

Engine-
OR iForce engine is smooth with very little hesitation when accelerating, even from dead stop. The torque is not lacking but not something you really feel. Engine does sound a little rough, diesel like.

PRO iForce Max is very smooth, feels more refined. Part of this could be the exhaust sound. Doesn’t really make sense to me, but the engine seems more refined, quieter smoother idle. Maybe this will change with break in. The torque difference is noticeable at all speeds, smooths out the acceleration, and you can feel it pulling. Not really punchy, but smooth pull.

Ride Quality-
I had a 40 mile drive home from dealership and to be honest, I wasn’t impressed with the TRD Pro ride. Seemed soft, bouncy and steering was not as precise as my OR. I know from experience the tire pressures, suspension and OEM tires have a major effect on this. So the first thing I did was increase the tire pressure for 30 to 37. Then checked the Fox shock settings. From the factory they were set on 2, I adjusted to 1 for a firmer suspension. This is perfect! Firm controlled ride, but comfortable on rough roads. My OR has MT Baja Boss 285/70/17 tires and they were a huge improvement over OEM. The OR ride quality is excellent but firmer on big bumps, like it’s bottoming out then rebounding fast. The Pro feels more comfortable, soaks up the big bumps better, without needing new tires to improve ride and handling. No complaints about either suspension, but they do feel different.

AC-
OR- chirps on start up, occasionally as compressor kicks on. The AC cycles constantly about every 15 seconds.
Pro- quiet AC compressor. No chirp or fan cycling with compressor. I’m thinking this may change with break in because I didn’t recall the OR cycling on/off until about 1,000 miles.

Seats-
OR seats are very comfortable, and easy to slide into. Decent legroom in back seat. The backseats are not uncomfortable but not the best. At 5’10”, with my feet on floor the seats don’t support my thighs.

Pro ISO Dynamic seats hug your body. The bolsters are high on the sides of thighs. I’m of average build and they are snug on my thighs. This also makes it a little more challenging to slide into seat, between steering wheel. Manual recline is satisfactory. You can’t lay back, but you’re not forced to sit straight up. Obviously the ISO seats affect the rear legroom, but with front seats adjusted for 5’10”, my 5’9” wife is able to sit comfortably in the backseats. She said the back seats are more comfortable because they’re taller than the backseats in the OR. The taller seats support the thigh better, but you lose a little headroom.

Paint-
OR Underground color is nice. It’s glossy, but muted. The paint seems a little soft based on 1 or 2 chips that I have.

Pro Terra color is awesome on the Taco. Not sure if it’s the body style, black accents or the size but this color is great on Taco. To me, it does not look like same color on the Tundra. Perfect on Tacoma, different but not loud like some of the special Pro colors. It does have some metallic flake, but not large metallic flakes.

Keep in mind, I’m not a professional writer😁. This is my initial comparison after only 100 miles in the TRD Pro. From my experience there’s no reason for the owner of either model to feel like they have an inferior truck. They’re both great, but different.

IMG_1517.jpeg

IMG_1523.jpeg

IMG_1520.jpeg
Great write up!

Can you expand a bit on rear legroom? You’re the first I’ve heard the rear legroom is more or similar on the Pro.

how do you think your wife would do on a long trip in the same seating position? The seats are the only real deal breaker on the Pro for me so I am very curious about that

Sponsored

OP
OP

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
Great write up!

Can you expand a bit on rear legroom? You’re the first I’ve heard the rear legroom is more or similar on the Pro.

how do you think your wife would do on a long trip in the same seating position? The seats are the only real deal breaker on the Pro for me so I am very curious about that
Rear legroom is definitely not more than the standard seats. The rear seating will obviously be relative to the position of the front seat. For the rear seating to be comfortable for my wife, I position the passenger front seat with my knees about 3 inches from glove box. This is not uncomfortable, but not stretched out either. I don’t think either person would want to make a 6 hour drive in this position.

The extra height of the Pro rear seats make the back and thigh support position more comfortable. The seats are higher due to the hybrid battery under seat.

I’ll try to take a couple pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
A couple more comments…

I’ve just completed a 45 mile trip, 60/40 Hwy/City and the computer MPG was 22.5.

The gloss black fenders are wrapped, not painted. I know this because I have a rock “chip” that is obviously vinyl/plastic not paint divot.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
The gloss black fenders are wrapped, not painted. I know this because I have a rock “chip” that is obviously vinyl/plastic not paint divot.
That is interesting. Like most of us I just assumed they were painted, although wrapped will end up being a lot more practical in the long run.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Nice to hear the gloss is wrapped. I don't care for it so hopefully, it's matte underneath and can be removed day 1.

The rear seats are taller in the Pro due to the battery taking up more space under the seat.

Interesting point on the Pro seats having taller bolsters. Beefier individuals may not find them comfortable long term.

OP
OP

Supertech1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD ORP
“Interesting point on the Pro seats having taller bolsters. Beefier individuals may not find them comfortable long term.”

This was my thought as well.