Sponsored

omni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Premium
Just my luck. So what do we do? Just wait until it fails?
I heard that Toyota will not do anything if the lights are not up in the dash.

Hoping that Toyota would just diagnose our vehicle even if it doesn't have anything... for peace of mind.

OlafTheNork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Pro
IMO, "the diagnosis is in the known VIN# range(s). Also IMO, within about another 3 months they'll issue a recall. I'm sure they are realizing the extent of the problem and are determining recall parameters. However, knowing what they know for the involved VIN ranges, they should issue a recall now instead of forcing customers of these expensive trucks to wait for a failure, especially if the event/codes are thrown while out of town or in the wilderness and the vehicle can't be driven. Then expand the recall when new VIN # ranges become known as just happened.

Else there will be a class action lawsuit. Time to turn up the heat on them, likely through the dealers. I have a Pro hybrid that is VIN # involved. I'm thinking about what to do and might send a lemon law certified letter to the dealer/Toyota (use up one of the three fix attempts) to get this fixed now/pre-emptively else they can pay for a tow out of the Stanislaus National Forest and all the attendant rental car and motel costs.

Ford went through the same process in 2018 with their Ford Focus RS models where for a large VIN # range the factory put Mustang head gaskets on Focus RS engines. They made it right and did a decent job swapping out the head gaskets (would have preferred a new engine). Somehow I think Toyota will trip over it's own hubris and screw up the process as they are now doing.

OlafTheNork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Pro
I wish we didn't have to go through all this. Especially with the hybrid guts needing to be replaced as well as the transmission and torque converter. Sounds like they'll need to extend the warranty on the whole vehicle, too because so many other parts are impacted. Yikes.

OlafTheNork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Pro
And...we won't talk about the decline in the market value/saleability of the vehicle for an involved, covered VIN # while all this goes on. They better get their act together, and quickly. Sounds like I better write that letter, given what I/we know, so they can pay my towing, rental car and out of town motel costs, else they can claim "I knew the risk" and shouldn't have driven the vehicle "off road" and deny a claim for those other costs.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Looks like we have the same VIN, 3TYLC5LN#RT and we fall on the new TSB posted today.
Damn - my truck is a 3TYLC5LN too - and my number falls below the cutoff.

My truck still shifts perfectly, but now I can wait and see what happens too. I will be checking for codes with my Carista on a regular basis.

The replacement doesn't bother me because it is straight forward, even with the hybrid. But I plan both road trips and off roading in my truck, and it could die at some really hard to access locations.

Damn.

Scooby

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I’m going to be pissed if I break down out of town. I’ll definitely talk to a lawyer especially if they already know about which vehicles are affected. I just bought my truck two weeks ago. I reached out to my salesperson and will contact my dealers service department tomorrow. Where did this TSB list first get published? Did Toyota actually publish this list or was it a leaked list?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Where did this TSB list first get published? Did Toyota actually publish this list or was it a leaked list?
It looks like the real deal to me, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what options we have but drive them and keep our fingers crossed, and hope for a recall.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I’m going to be pissed if I break down out of town. I’ll definitely talk to a lawyer especially if they already know about which vehicles are affected. I just bought my truck two weeks ago. I reached out to my salesperson and will contact my dealers service department tomorrow. Where did this TSB list first get published? Did Toyota actually publish this list or was it a leaked list?
I posted it, Toyota needs to be held responsible for this disaster along with their tundra nightmare

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Everyone needs to get on the phone tomorrow and call corporate and start demanding answers

Scooby

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I posted it, Toyota needs to be held responsible for this disaster along with their tundra nightmare
Yeah but can we find the list on an actual Toyota website? I feel like they will just say that list is fake and wasn’t published by them.
Sponsored