Sponsored

What’s your opinion on aluminum rock sliders?

nicholo85

First Name
nicholo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
Hey guys, just want to know what your opinions are on using aluminum rock sliders. I'm not really planning on doing any super technical off roading or rock crawling, but want to put some protection to avoid damaging the body.

This is the one I'm considering: https://greenlaneoffroad.com/4th-gen-toyota-tacoma-2024

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

grizzlyoutlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TACOMA
I think they sound perfect for your need. Description says "*Will protect vehicle from rocker damage but not designed to be used as a high lift jack point. " So the real question is; Are you even going to have a high lift jack on your truck? If so, you can put it under the sliders to lift the truck for trail repairs or changing tires. I have personally have never had to do that and will probably just get an exhaust air jack to throw under the frame. example
exhaust air jack

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
Just my opinion, but those are ass. They're put together with a bunch of smaller pieces of tubing, because they obviously don't have a bender. And while yes they're lighter than steel sliders, they cannot support the weight of the truck, which makes them for looks only. They're charging the same price for these that companies do who make real sliders also.

OP
OP
nicholo85

nicholo85

First Name
nicholo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
Just my opinion, but those are ass. They're put together with a bunch of smaller pieces of tubing, because they obviously don't have a bender. And while yes they're lighter than steel sliders, they cannot support the weight of the truck, which makes them for looks only. They're charging the same price for these that companies do who make real sliders also.
I see what you mean from the renderings, but from the photo of the actual product, it looks like its bent aluminum. Would tube welding be covered up with the powder coat? It's really the weight savings I'm after.

This is the hard part for me, being a novice. I just don't know how difficult of offroading I'll end up doing. If I buy steel, but never really do trails that put the entire weight of the truck on the slider, then I'm carrying around extra protection and 120 lbs thats not needed. But if I go aluminum for light protection and end up banging it around, I'll end up having to replace it in the future.

Ugh, decisions decisions!

Greatisland

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
The white truck in the photos is mine, I have full confidence In those sliders. I did have steel ones on my previous vehicle but I wont be wheeling the new one as hard. Its for the odd occasion I need to slide. To me weight savings is more important than full sliders so that's why I went the aluminum route this time.

Visa_Declined

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off Road
then I'm carrying around extra protection and 120 lbs thats not needed. But if I go aluminum for light protection and end up banging it around, I'll end up having to replace it in the future.
The trucks are already heavy pigs anyway IMO.
Sponsored