Mpg and air dam

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
Back when the Tacoma were introduced I saw a video where one of Toyota representatives said that the Air Dam can add up to 4-5 mpg. So if the TRD Sport is rated at 20 city, 24 highway, and 22 combined, does that mean that if you take off the Air Dam it would drop the mpg by 4-5, or does that mean the the estimate mpg released by Toyota were done without the Air Dam and so with it on you would get about 4-5 over.
Sponsored

Tacosyeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Back when the Tacoma were introduced I saw a video where one of Toyota representatives said that the Air Dam can add up to 4-5 mpg. So if the TRD Sport is rated at 20 city, 24 highway, and 22 combined, does that mean that if you take off the Air Dam it would drop the mpg by 4-5, or does that mean the the estimate mpg released by Toyota were done without the Air Dam and so with it on you would get about 4-5 over.
I doubt the air dam does that much. If it were that easy, every manufacturer would slap plastic to the ground on every vehicle they make. Guess we will see when people actually get their trucks.

Drew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Niro, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Chances are, the listed mpg is with the air dam, since it is standard equipment. That said, if the removal actually drops the mpg to 19-20 highway, that's awful. I'm guessing the effect is somewhat overstated. Probably a couple mpg.

OP
OP
ldudiaz

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
I really hope that person I heard say 4-5 mpg was over stating.

OP
OP
ldudiaz

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma RTD Sport
wow you sounded like a technician and someone who know it’s thing. The 2024 Tacoma would be my first truck ever and I’m very looking forward to it. Thanks
Sponsored