Determining Oversized Tire Pressure

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
In an earlier post that received no replies I asked what PSI people were running in 285/75R17 load rated C tires.

Searching the internet found vehicles with similar GVWR’s of 6300 lbs. varied greatly from 28-40 psi for highway travel.

Internet review of chalk testing recommended procedures were all done on cold tires. I would think it would make more sense to determine hot temperature psi’s and adjust from there?

Tire Rack had no input. I’m currently experimenting at 37 front and 35 rear. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Sponsored

OP
OP
JED

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
Chalk test

The chalk test for my 285/75R17 load C Toyo’s found 35 psi front and 32 psi rear COLD. The tires WARM today on an 84 degree day increased 3 psi in all the tires.
So my logic would be to reduce the cold chalk tested pressures by 3 psi in each corner. Does that make sense?
Something never discussed in caulk test procedures I’ve seen.

Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Temps where I live vary wildly -50 to +105! I only adjust my tire pressure a couple of times a year. Set the pressure cold and forget it unless your seeing unusual wear?

Reactions: JED
OP
OP
JED

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
Temps where I live vary wildly -50 to +105! I only adjust my tire pressure a couple of times a year. Set the pressure cold and forget it unless your seeing unusual wear?
Don’t want to get too far in the weeds😉 . The truck ride is improved.
Sponsored