Manual Transmission issues?

ebtea

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
I’ve been shifting out of 1st around 3k and letting the engine spin down to try and rev match for a smoother shift, automatics can stay on the power but we can’t
Sponsored

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Somme one please explain .. i have Trd OR manual . Driving it for 3 days now . I need help in understanding if i am doing something wrong or is it normal.
so every time at red lights u come to stop and when light turns green every body want to rush and go But with this manual tacoma first gear and 2 gear is very small . If i try to rev first gear high then it gives me jerk in second gear and if i dont rev high and change 1st gear to 2 nd gear around 1700-2000 rpm it feels very slow . traffic behind doesn't like that .. so i dont how do get this truck quick to at least 40 km per hour speed . How should i shift 1-2 nd gear . am i doing something wrong
Like said earlier, 2nd gear is half of first. You need to wind 1st out for a smooth shift. But when you do that, rev hang makes it to where you have to wait for the revs to fall. You need the revs to fall by half. Either way, it is a slow shift. If you take 1st to 4000, you need to wait for the revs to fall to around 2000 to let the clutch out. If you let the clutch out too quick, say when revs are at 3000, you will get a hard clunk because you are forcing the engine to go from 3000 to 2000 to match the speed of the wheels in 2nd gear.

This is because 1st gear is 4.784 and 2nd is 2.423. 2.423/4.784 = 50.6%. Almost exactly half. Practice driving 1st to a certain rpm and then letting the clutch out at half the rpm in 2nd and see if it goes better.

lb272

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 OR MT
Don't worry - you're not doing anything wrong. It just takes some getting used to. If you look up "1st to 2nd" for the 3rd Gen it is the same thing with low gearing in 1st. My experience so far is that there are two ways to take off from a complete stop smoothly. You can mosey off with slow shifts or you can rev high to get moving fast. Not really much in-between. May want to try the different driving modes. Sport mode seems to work better for me in fast paced stop and go traffic.

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Don't worry - you're not doing anything wrong. It just takes some getting used to. If you look up "1st to 2nd" for the 3rd Gen it is the same thing with low gearing in 1st. My experience so far is that there are two ways to take off from a complete stop smoothly. You can mosey off with slow shifts or you can rev high to get moving fast. Not really much in-between. May want to try the different driving modes. Sport mode seems to work better for me in fast paced stop and go traffic.
Yeah, 3rd gen is the same problem, although it’s a bit different. 1st and 2nd are significantly taller than 4th gen, although the two transmissions share the same 1st and 2nd gears. The output gears of the two different transmissions are different which is what causes the final drive of 1st and 2nd to be different in 4th gen.

This does mean that 1st and 2nd are proportionally apart by the exact same amount in both trucks since they both utilize the same 1st and 2nd gears.

I regeared my 3rd gen to 5.29 and I don’t run large tires. My 1st and 2nd gear are about in the same spot as the stock 4th gen. Yep, 1st revs quick and gotta wait a bit to let it out in 2nd.

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I’ll add this for anyone interested. Credit goes to Jeff Lange on TacomaWorld. Dude is a former Toyota parts wizard that has helped figure out the details on all these transmissions and many other various aspects of Toyota vehicles.

IMG_8651.jpeg

RC60F - Hilux 2.4L diesel (and now 2024 Tacoma 2.4L Turbo Gas)
RC60J - same ratios as above, cable shifted version for HiAce van, 3.5L 7GR I believe

RC61F - Hilux 2.8L diesel

RC62F - ‘16-‘23 Tacoma 3.5L 2GR-FKS

RC60x:
1 - 4.784
2 - 2.423
3 - 1.443
4 - 1.000
5 - 0.777
6 - 0.643
R - 4.067

RC61x:
1 - 4.784
2 - 2.423
3 - 1.443
4 - 1.000
5 - 0.826
6 - 0.643
R - 4.067

RC62F:
1 - 3.982
2 - 2.017
3 - 1.321
4 - 1.000
5 - 0.848
6 - 0.713
R - 3.385

As you can see, they all share the same R-1-2. The difference that makes the 60 & 61 different from the 62 is their reduction gear set. For those who don’t know, the reduction gear set is the relationship between the counter shaft and whichever shaft it’s fixed to. On older transmissions like the R15xx 5-speeds, the input shaft is very short and tied to the counter shaft. Therefore, those transmissions have input reduction gears.

The Aisin RC family (all of the transmissions listed above) have output reduction gears. So in this case, all 3 transmission models have the same R-1-2, and the 62 model has a different output reduction gearset than the 60/61. So the 60/61 have the same final drive in all 3 of those gears, while the 62 is taller. But, the proportional spacing between R-1-2 is exactly the same on all 3.

3rd gear is the same on both 60/61, and is taller on the 62.

4th is direct drive, it locks the input and output together for a direct connection. Lubrication is still provided by the output shaft driving the counter shaft which slings up gear oil.

5th is different on all 3, for whatever reason Toyota wanted the 2.8L to have a lower 5th gear. Maybe for better towing in 5th, I don’t know.

6th is the same on the 60/61, and is shorter on the 62. My guess is that the gas diesels and now the turbo gas, they know those have the torque to maintain speed at low ish (2000) rpm. The gas motor doesn’t work so well there so you end up with a shorter final drive at higher rpm (24-2500ish).

Overall, you end up with a wider box in the diesels and new turbo gas engine, while the NA gas engine gets a closer ratio box. Which for the most part makes sense, although I’ll say some of those ratios of the 62 are no fun in a stock 4.30 rear end gas engine configuration.

Last edited:

Sponsored

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I just arrived home from my 400-mile journey from the dealer I bought my 2024 TRD Sport 6MT from.

No real issues except figuring out the electronic brake release.

Other than that, my truck made it home with plenty of power to spare and typical 6MT that I had on my old 2005 X-Runner. Suits me well at my age.

20240412_160007.jpg

dshargs

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I just arrived home from my 400-mile journey from the dealer I bought my 2024 TRD Sport 6MT from.

No real issues except figuring out the electronic brake release.

Other than that, my truck made it home with plenty of power to spare and typical 6MT that I had on my old 2005 X-Runner. Suits me well at my age.

20240412_160007.jpg
Congrats! I have same color sport, MT, and also drove several hundred miles home from the dealer - great way to get to know the truck! The parking brake definitely takes some getting used to. I like the automatic engagement when you shut the truck down, but the auto off (you're supposed to be able to just hit the gas and go) seems to stick sometimes, so I've been releasing it manually. It also doesn't release automatically in reverse. Kinda miss a manual lever. The hold feature is great for stop lights/traffic.

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
I'm scheduled to take delivery of a Sport 6M within the next two weeks. I've reached out to my dealership to inquire about this 'defect'. I'll update with what I find out.
Any updates on what they said?
Seems more and more 6MT's in the message boards are losing 2, 4 & 6th.
Worry I'm in a ticking time bomb.
Really hope not.

gumbo

First Name
erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6MT
I just picked up a 6MT trd off road on Saturday, have about 100 miles on it now, and am loving the way it drives. I'm coming from a 5 speed 2017 Crosstrek and this thing is way funner to drive. I haven't had issues with the 1st to 2nd shifts (it's kinda fun hitting 2nd at 3500 and feeling the wheels chirp a little bit), but 2nd to 3rd has been a little more finicky at times. It wants to be finessed in. Otherwise it all feels super smooth, at least a lot smoother than my previous car.

The iMT mode makes it feel like driving an automatic with the automatic rev matching. It's almost weird, but extremely forgiving if people are just learning or getting reacquainted with manuals on this truck. I like the more classic feel of downshifting without it better. Will update if I run into any issues in the future.

xraided

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 6MT TRD Sport/06 BSP Xrunner (RIP)
900 miles on mine, picked it up 4 weeks ago and Its still good. how do find out the build date?

Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Still good at 11500kms! After getting used to this transmission, you definitely can get very quick shifts from 1st to 2nd without any hard clunking but it takes finesse, you really got to feel the vehicle, become one with it if you may lol.

I found one steady motion of 1st clutch out hard steady gas, clutch in and not even a millisecond after your clutch is put in you're going for second and releasing the clutch, one quick smooth combination with no room for error, god forbid you do error, you're going to get yourself a little grind lol.

Helps that the bite point is extremely far out so if you're already shifting for second before your clutch is in because your hands are quicker than your feet, you're not really hurting it, although of course you should make sure your clutch is to the floor regardless

lb272

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 OR MT
The symptoms described on the other forum sound like a linkage issue not trans failure. It will be interesting to hear what their root cause actually is and if it is a concern for all the MTs. But I doubt the sky is falling. I'm at about 3k with a 2/24 build date and no shifting issues.

run_ruh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road Premium Package 6-Spd (white)
I have a TRD Off Road 6 M/T premium. Got it with 3 miles on it, and now have just short of 1500. No issues with the transmission, it continues to feel better the more I break it. (Im driving like an old man)

At around 1100 miles I did have an O2 sensor fail, but its been back to normal since we replaced it.

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Any updates on what they said?
Seems more and more 6MT's in the message boards are losing 2, 4 & 6th.
Worry I'm in a ticking time bomb.
Really hope not.
Hi. Sorry for not getting back. They said they've had no bulletins or notices come to them regarding the gear selection issues. I have to believe them because I have no other info to go on. I'd like to think they are being honest with me.

I've had my truck for nearly two months now with about 3500Kms on it and I've had no issues with shifts or gears. Like others mentioned, my first to second shifts are perhaps a little rougher than I'd like as I let out the clutch, but that does get smoothed out with the iMT. It could be that I'm just still getting used to being in a manual again after a 12 year hiatus. All other gears are butter smooth though and its a pleasure to drive, even in heavy traffic.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Hi. Sorry for not getting back. They said they've had no bulletins or notices come to them regarding the gear selection issues. I have to believe them because I have no other info to go on. I'd like to think they are being honest with me.

I've had my truck for nearly two months now with about 3500Kms on it and I've had no issues with shifts or gears. Like others mentioned, my first to second shifts are perhaps a little rougher than I'd like as I let out the clutch, but that does get smoothed out with the iMT. It could be that I'm just still getting used to being in a manual again after a 12 year hiatus. All other gears are butter smooth though and its a pleasure to drive, even in heavy traffic.
Glad to hear, I'm part of multiple Facebook and internet groups and I've not heard of anyone having any manual transmission issues besides one post on this forum.

1st to 2nd is a bitch, and I feel like will always be a bitch no matter how much you master the transmission in this truck lol. Near 13,000kms now and I still have more rough 1-2 shifts than I do smooth. There is a technique I use to get smooth shifts 1-2 but I feel like it causes slight wear, more than needed to the clutch
Sponsored