Sponsored

Manual Transmission issues?

Camario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Chevrolet K2500. 2004 Subaru WRX STI
Picking up my TRD OR 6M in 2 weeks. Should be arriving at the dealer next week, and I’ll be going over for a test drive first thing no doubt. I really hope it’s a good truck and doesn’t give me transmission, or any kind of issues. Would be a shame if it did as the Tesla I’m trading in gave me ZERO problems.
Sponsored

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
Glad to hear, I'm part of multiple Facebook and internet groups and I've not heard of anyone having any manual transmission issues besides one post on this forum.

1st to 2nd is a bitch, and I feel like will always be a bitch no matter how much you master the transmission in this truck lol. Near 13,000kms now and I still have more rough 1-2 shifts than I do smooth. There is a technique I use to get smooth shifts 1-2 but I feel like it causes slight wear, more than needed to the clutch
Yeah I find when going from 1 to 2, if I give it a bit of gas at the end of letting the clutch out it smooths it out quite a bit. I’m with you though, I don’t like doing that.

taco4r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport 6MT
Glad to hear, I'm part of multiple Facebook and internet groups and I've not heard of anyone having any manual transmission issues besides one post on this forum.

1st to 2nd is a bitch, and I feel like will always be a bitch no matter how much you master the transmission in this truck lol. Near 13,000kms now and I still have more rough 1-2 shifts than I do smooth. There is a technique I use to get smooth shifts 1-2 but I feel like it causes slight wear, more than needed to the clutch
wow 13K klicks already? Other than the 1-2 shift any other issues?

I am actually considering going back to the dealer and trading it in while I can before mine fails, it seems there are a number of low mileage 6MT failures already.

Very hard to enjoy the truck now with press and word of mouth right now, my confidence in this platform is a bit shot.

I only have 500km so far.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
wow 13K klicks already? Other than the 1-2 shift any other issues?

I am actually considering going back to the dealer and trading it in while I can before mine fails, it seems there are a number of low mileage 6MT failures already.

Very hard to enjoy the truck now with press and word of mouth right now, my confidence in this platform is a bit shot.

I only have 500km so far.
Not an issue with the truck minus the infamous grille shutter. I know, it hurts the heart to see 13,000 on her already but I drive 60kms to work everyday and 400km total every weekend to reach my camp site, I'm getting good use from her! 🤣

Spencer

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma
I picked up my manual TRD OR yesterday and I’m very pleased with the manual transmission. Once figured out where the shift points should be it was very smooth. It’s been awhile since I’ve had a manual in a personal vehicle, but I used to drive an 18 speed for a living so the longer engagement of the clutch is “familiar” to me.
I just got my 2024 after a very premature total loss of my 3rd gen OR. I wasn’t even considering a sport, but ended up liking the drive better and the options. I didn’t want to wait for options a blow money on rentals… it took me a minute to get used to the different shift points and handling. I have not noticed any faults as of yet… just under 350 miles. I miss my old truck but am giving the 4gen a shot… I’ve drove the first gen as a kid; unlicensed on a camp as a work truck, owned 2gen 2WD ( I abused more than any 4x4) and then the 3rd gen OR which was a huge step up and now this be

Sponsored

hellofriendhai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport w/ Manual
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Manual here with 5000+ miles and still running strong. All these YouTubers definitely got me spoked. I’m praying that mine seriously never terminates as this will probably be my last manual vehicle as the world is moving away from manuals. I did a break in oil change at 1000 miles to make sure no extra rtv or engine debris are present. Now I’m feeling anxious to do a transmission flush just to protect the transmission as well. :oops:

IMG_2590.jpeg

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Manual here with 5000+ miles and still running strong. All these YouTubers definitely got me spoked. I’m praying that mine seriously never terminates as this will probably be my last manual vehicle as the world is moving away from manuals. I did a break in oil change at 1000 miles to make sure no extra rtv or engine debris are present. Now I’m feeling anxious to do a transmission flush just to protect the transmission as well. :oops:

IMG_2590.jpeg
TRD OR 6MT 1050km build date 05/24
All good here aside from the weird injector noises during certain gear shifts but from another thread on here the injector related sounds are normal and to be expected apparently.
Doing an early oil change on Tuesday.
May inquire about transmission fluid change to be safe.
On that note..what to use...Redline, Motul, Amsoil, OEM..

hellofriendhai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport w/ Manual
I forgot to mention I picked up my 24 late January. Longo Toyota claimed it was the first manual in the US for the 4th gen; so I’m even more worried that it could be one of the affected dates. How would I find the build date?

Oil change I just went with Costco Mobile 1 and mobile one M1-103A filter.

Let me know if you go through with the transmission flush and how much please ?

BrisketTacos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacom
Congrats! I have same color sport, MT, and also drove several hundred miles home from the dealer - great way to get to know the truck! The parking brake definitely takes some getting used to. I like the automatic engagement when you shut the truck down, but the auto off (you're supposed to be able to just hit the gas and go) seems to stick sometimes, so I've been releasing it manually. It also doesn't release automatically in reverse. Kinda miss a manual lever. The hold feature is great for stop lights/traffic.
Have you tried the no clutch start function?? I just got the truck, at 225 miles so I'm not mentally ready to tinker with things, not til after 600 miles or so. Just my own standards.

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
I've had mine for about 2 months now with a bit over 2,000 miles. Absolutely zero issues so far. This truck has been very nice to live with. Have not done any towing yet, and only some light off-roading. I found the transmission to be fairly easy to get used to, and I saw someone talking about the similarities between the 3rd and 4th gen MTs in the lowest gears. Even if they are the same, they certainly don't feel that way. 1st gear is incredibly short in this truck. I usually shift at around 3,000-3,500 from 1st to 2nd, and it is pretty tough to get a really smooth shift. If I'm babying it, I'll shift to 2nd almost as soon as the truck starts moving around 5 mph. As with most MTs, the lowest gears are always the toughest to be smooth with, and this truck is no different.

Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Just turned 1000 miles and in those miles eco mode was used. I have become “one” with this truck and can navigate light to light in heavy city traffic flawlessly. 1st to 2nd was the biggest learning curve. just yesterday I was shifting through heavy traffic and realized imt was not engaged and it was at that point I knew I had figured it out. I love this 6speed Tacoma very much and just love every chance I get to drive it. Only a few times have I spooled up the turbo giving it a lil gas or going steady up hills. Today I will try normal and sport modes just to try them. I really think I will be staying in eco and below the boost putting around. I get my adrenaline from dirt bikes and sport bikes so for me the Tacoma is not a toy but shifting those gears it sure feels like one!

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I've had mine for about 2 months now with a bit over 2,000 miles. Absolutely zero issues so far. This truck has been very nice to live with. Have not done any towing yet, and only some light off-roading. I found the transmission to be fairly easy to get used to, and I saw someone talking about the similarities between the 3rd and 4th gen MTs in the lowest gears. Even if they are the same, they certainly don't feel that way. 1st gear is incredibly short in this truck. I usually shift at around 3,000-3,500 from 1st to 2nd, and it is pretty tough to get a really smooth shift. If I'm babying it, I'll shift to 2nd almost as soon as the truck starts moving around 5 mph. As with most MTs, the lowest gears are always the toughest to be smooth with, and this truck is no different.
R, 1, 2 are the exact same cluster of gears in both 3rd and 4th gen. However, the reduction gears in the trans make them different final drives. So since the trucks have the same axle ratio, the ratios of the 1 gears are different between the two trucks, but they are proportional. For example, I regeared my 3rd gen to 5.29 gears on almost stock size tires. My 1st, 2nd, and R all rev about the same as a stock 4th gen now. We are very close to the same final drive in those 3 gears with my 5.29s. But the transmissions still share the same R, 1, 2 cluster in the transmission.

Kdbradley85

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR MT
R, 1, 2 are the exact same cluster of gears in both 3rd and 4th gen. However, the reduction gears in the trans make them different final drives. So since the trucks have the same axle ratio, the ratios of the 1 gears are different between the two trucks, but they are proportional. For example, I regeared my 3rd gen to 5.29 gears on almost stock size tires. My 1st, 2nd, and R all rev about the same as a stock 4th gen now. We are very close to the same final drive in those 3 gears with my 5.29s. But the transmissions still share the same R, 1, 2 cluster in the transmission.
That's cool information to know. Thanks for sharing!

JackieG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Tahoe, 2016 BMW X5, 2024 Tacoma SR 4X4 MT
Have just under 6,000 miles - GR M/T - no issues at all.
Sponsored