gofastdan

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
Any chance you know where the tapped the power for the 3rd brake light?
Ha! I literally just got done wiring it 15 minutes ago before reading this.

I don't know if there is an easier way but I had already installed this a couple of weeks ago so I could have a separate four way plug to plug my rear light bar in without having to cut any wires. For the third brake light I bought a splitter for the four way plug (one 4 way for the rear light bar and the other for the third brake light) and then used this 2 to 3 way converter to extract just the brake. It has outputs for independent turn signals and brake light and is designed for trailers but works just fine for this application as well. I just taped up the turn signal wires.

I spliced the ground wire for the third brake light into the same ground as was used for the 2 to 3 way converter (used the ground wire from the four way plug for both).

The LP third brake light has the option to function as a running light but I taped that wire as well since I didn't want that.

All the various harnesses create quite the jumble of wires but it's actually simpler than the mess of wires appears. Lots of zip ties are my friend.
Sponsored

gumbo

First Name
erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6MT
Great info to know, thanks. I have an order supposedly being installed in September with them. Did you get any of their accessories with the camper?

OP
OP
gofastdan

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
Great info to know, thanks. I have an order supposedly being installed in September with them. Did you get any of their accessories with the camper?
I think I got most of the options... ;o)
-Juicebox
-Interior lighting
-roof vent fan
-grab handles all around
-bed ladder
-solar panel wiring port (2, one for solar wiring and the other for the potential of a light bar in the future)
-awning mounts
-diesel heater port
-rear pass through window
-rear molle panel
-load bars
-misc, channel nuts, covers, etc...

I bought quite a few of these during the pre-sale pricing but most of these I'd buy again even at full price. So far the only thing I'm thinking I might actually remove is the bed ladder. It's really convenient but when it's not in use it hangs down quite a bit and is just a matter of time before I whack my head. I may end up removing it and just use a small step ladder, or maybe I'll try to fabricate a mount for it that doesn't require permanent installation.

If you're considering different options but aren't sure you want to spend the money I'd advice focusing on items like the rear pass through window that have to be built into the camper initially. You can always add grab handles later but you're not going to be able to replace the window easily.

I think the gear vault is cool but it seemed like a lot of money so I'm going to try to do something similar myself. They're also working on a propane tank mount and water can/mount. Kyle had prototypes for both mounted in his camper and they're nice. I'm not sure when they'll be available though.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Ha! I literally just got done wiring it 15 minutes ago before reading this.

I don't know if there is an easier way but I had already installed this a couple of weeks ago so I could have a separate four way plug to plug my rear light bar in without having to cut any wires. For the third brake light I bought a splitter for the four way plug (one 4 way for the rear light bar and the other for the third brake light) and then used this 2 to 3 way converter to extract just the brake. It has outputs for independent turn signals and brake light and is designed for trailers but works just fine for this application as well. I just taped up the turn signal wires.

I spliced the ground wire for the third brake light into the same ground as was used for the 2 to 3 way converter (used the ground wire from the four way plug for both).

The LP third brake light has the option to function as a running light but I taped that wire as well since I didn't want that.

All the various harnesses create quite the jumble of wires but it's actually simpler than the mess of wires appears. Lots of zip ties are my friend.
that's one way to do it! Wow

In a thread about Smart Caps there's a diagram of a 7 pin trailer connector looks like a simple reverse splitter that hooks up to the backside of the bumper and apparently their brake light taps right into it. Something like this maybe a ~$30 single harness on Amazon?
2024 Tacoma Lone Peak Overland Camper Install - Review & Photos Screenshot 2024-10-12 071719

I got a GFC installed yesterday and the shop who installed has no clue (or could care less) how my 3rd brake light ties in, so I've been looking around to see what others have done. I also relocated my rearview cameras and know where the OE 3rd brake light connects up in the headliner.
2024 Tacoma Lone Peak Overland Camper Install - Review & Photos Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 8.35.26 PM

I'm tempted to extend this cable as my main objective, but need to know how to weatherproof the loom for underside frame zip-tieing. I think* the connector is identical to my aux pigtails....Might as well add a reverse light on the GFC back hatch and run it proper; I opted for no glass to keep things lighter allowing more real estate to mount cameras. BTW: the glass-less GFC back hatch offers a bit of flex over that gen 4 tailgate lip. Because I have the powered tailgate, can even access the bed with the hatch locked. Kind of a win there...

2024 Tacoma Lone Peak Overland Camper Install - Review & Photos IMG_6770
Sponsored

Last edited: