First i-Force Max Review - Questionable Power

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent

Note they say that this is a pre-production unit. However, they got an absolutely HORRIBLE 0-60 time on their test. Only 7.7 seconds compared to 7.8 on their standard motor. This just seems flat out wrong, but it kind of matches the statements coming out of people at the initial drive event. Hopefully something will change because right now it feels like the hybrid offers no significant advantage in MPG or power.

Given some of the recent issues had by both TFL and Truck King I'm wondering if Toyota didn't build enough strength into their drivetrain and are computer limiting the power that goes through it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WhiteLightning

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
@Wighty Have you seen a better 0-60 time in the Pro than what they are claiming these YT's are seeing in the Limited?

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Obviously anyone who bought or is buying a TRD PRO/TH, or any other variant of the hybrid is going to defend their purchase. Nobody wants to admit the Hybrid powertrain offers marginal benifit at best. I won't even elaborate on the negatives such as added weight, a battery that starts to degrade on day 1 (it may take 10 years to fail but it will get weaker with each passing year) added driveline complexity, less storage space in the second row, reduced payload and towing capacity to name a few.
This is a modest sized Hybrid battery that will stay depleted under heavy load such as towing because it has no opportunity to charge when it is constantly in use.

Tacoma's, hybrid or not are slow. Any mommie in her kid hauler is going to own you at the stop light no matter what you do. Times in the 7's are slow. Fast cars are sub 4 second 0-60 and run 1/4 mile in the 12's.

I am not a fan of the Hybrid Tacoma as you can probably tell but those that choose to buy one obviously feel differently and I respect their choice to do so.

Sponsored

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Obviously anyone who bought or is buying a TRD PRO/TH, or any other variant of the hybrid is going to defend their purchase. Nobody wants to admit the Hybrid powertrain offers marginal benifit at best. I won't even elaborate on the negatives such as added weight, a battery that starts to degrade on day 1 (it may take 10 years to fail but it will get weaker with each passing year) added driveline complexity, less storage space in the second row, reduced payload and towing capacity to name a few.
This is a modest sized Hybrid battery that will stay depleted under heavy load such as towing because it has no opportunity to charge when it is constantly in use.

Tacoma's, hybrid or not are slow. Any mommie in her kid hauler is going to own you at the stop light no matter what you do. Times in the 7's are slow. Fast cars are sub 4 second 0-60 and run 1/4 mile in the 12's.

I am not a fan of the Hybrid Tacoma as you can probably tell but those that choose to buy one obviously feel differently and I respect their choice to do so.
Or maybe those with nonhybrids dont want to admit is is worth it?

I drove an iforce max and I am still buying one

Also, anything above 4 is slow? What?

Last edited:

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Numbers don't lie, and the power increases for the i-FORCE MAX are significant.

Comparing an OR with the base engine to a Pro gives you 56 more hp and 155 more lb-ft of torque in the hybrid. These are not slight differences. I will wait until some professional testers compare the two to make up my mind. Car and Driver still sets the standards for instrumented testing and I'm sure they will be doing that soon.

As someone once said to me, hp gets you moving and torque maintains your speed. With the smaller hp advantage and more weight you don't expect massively better acceleration from the hybrid. But the feeling of a strong truck that easily handles a load and rolling acceleration should be the strength of the hybrid. When you watch video of a PRO playing off road you can see that torque push the back end around at will - that is what the massive torque buys you.

If you don't want a hybrid, don't get one, since you have that choice in most trims. I am getting a hybrid despite some garbage reviews on Youtube.

Drive both and make up your own mind, and don't listen to yahoos online.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus

your list is why I stopped looking at the hybrid

Sponsored

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Package, Underground
The one thing about these click bait reviews on YouTube is they are like azzhole, everybody got one, If you listen to one review you are just getting a one sided opinion. Last I checked most of us are not buying a Tacoma to launch off the line at every light. Coming from a GM 5.3L doing that get very expensive at the gas pump

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Why is this even titled first review when there are countless reviews already posted a while ago?
Sponsored