Sponsored

Ordered my 1st ever Toyota - 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium, and starting to worry šŸ˜¬

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I'm no Toyota fanboy. I've never been, but I'm very happy with this Tacoma. I wasn't even considering it replacing my '21 Silverado High Country. I wanted a smaller truck and had been wanting one of the GMC Twins (Colorado/Canyon), but after a few visits to several GM dealers, I was less than happy with their unwillingness to deal. While I've been watching the media, I know that I didn't want a new Tacoma, no particular reason -- but as mentioned I'm not a Toyota fanboy.

One day out of sheer boredom I decided to take a trip down to the Toyota dealer and during the first test drive, I realized how much I liked the Tacoma. So much so that I was able to make a positive deal with the dealer that day and have been driving this new Tacoma for almost a month now.

In some ways, I'm a spoiled man in that I've had a LOT of vehicles over the years, some very very nice. Needless to say I'm all about Cars, Trucks, and Motorcycles. But I'm as happy as a clam driving this Taco around. It's comfortable, rides well, fairly quiet. All in all a well-rounded vehicle for the money. That said, like other manufacturers I feel the auto manufacturers are taking advantage of their customers with their nonsense price gouging. With that stated, I have an OR model with only a few basic options. Its sticker was right around 45K, however, my feeling is that it should be more like 38-40k cost, but I'm not unhappy, just stating what I feel is obvious in my mind.

Needless to say, I think you'll be more than happy with your new Taco as I am with mine.

On a side note, the 4 cylinder in this truck has plenty of "get up and go", and I do feel that it will be a reliable motor. I state this because you really don't have to wind the motor up to get you moving. It seems to hang right around 1.2k to 2k RPM with most of my driving and I'm averaging around 22-2mpg. Something my 6.2 Silverado wasn't able to achieve, where it would get 15-16 mpg with the same driving habits. The key point here is that the motor isnt overstressing itself at all with regular driving. Nor is it dipping into the turbo much (at least for me) with my driving habits.
Sponsored

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
I donā€™t have mine yet in Canada. Not till August. I ordered it in April, it was part of the dealerā€™s second allocation, the first allocation sold out.
Hereā€™s two issues I have seen:
Some issues have popped up and as mentioned, desperate click bait seekers have made crazy claims. Trying to capitalize on making them bigger than they are.

The Gen 4 is so much better in every way, it has made the Gen 3 basically obsolete. Pretty soon Gen 3 values will take a hit as Gen 4ā€™s enter the used market and more are available. This creates a big motive to downplay the Gen 4.

As well Iā€™m good getting it later as some of the early issues I feel have been worked out.

Last edited:

AirForce24

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Tacoma
I have to admit I watched YouTube about this truck, but there are only two individuals I listen to who give honest reviews. Everyone else is just hating on the truck. I only had mine almost two weeks and find it amazing. I downsized from a full size truck and wonā€™t look back. Love the looks, the ride, and fits me just right. you will not be disappointed.

Tungstenisw

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD OR
First, thanks for reading this and I appreciate your advice and opinions in advance.

I ordered a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium in Black about 5 weeks ago ( Iā€™m in Canada šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¦ ) and I received a text from the dealership last week saying it will be in early next week!

Over the last 3-4 weeks I have spent so many hours researching and watching YouTube on the 4th Gen Tacomaā€™s because Iā€™m excited that itā€™s bordering insanity. Seriously, my wife thinks Iā€™ve lost my mind lolHaving never owned a Toyota in my life, 2 years ago I bought a Mini Cooper Countryman that has given me nothing but issues since the day I bought it. Being a carpenter, I need a truck ( I know I know, why buy the Mini Cooper !?!? It was an impulse buy. Trust me Iā€™ve learned my lesson ).

I asked so many people about trucks and everyone kept saying ā€œ get a Tacoma ā€œ ā€¦ so after ( as I said above ) researching my brains out, I ordered one.

Now over the last few weeks I have seen more hate for Toyota Tacomaā€™s and ā€œ never buy this truck ā€œ videos than I could have imagined. A stark contrast to everyone saying ā€œ The Tacoma is one of the best trucks ever built ā€œ opinions I was being given. I understand click bait videos, but there seem to be so many! Itā€™s making me really nervous after the last 2 years of dealing with such a piece of crap vehicle.

I guess Iā€™m just looking for feedback from people who own a 2024, or may have more insight into this on practically the eve of spending 60k on a truck I was really excited for.

So once again, thank you everyone who spends the time to write, I will take everything being said from long time Toyota customers serious and appreciate the help.

PS : seriously, never ever buy a Mini Cooper Countryman ā€¦ like, ever.
Its awesome...I love my 2024 TRD OR. 3k miles and still get excited to drive it everyday!

Sponsored

Echoedlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Silverado 2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I upgraded 25 years into the future with the tacoma and its amazing in so many ways that I haven't even seen in some newer vehicles I've been in (minus a Lexus). Thus it contextualizes it for me that trucks nowadays are luxury like a Lexus; and well worth the high price tag.

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
My .02 is the go over your truck with a microscope when it comes in. I mean test everything. Spend half a day testing it before you agree. Take a long test drive get on the highway feel how it drives listen for any rattles etc. Fully check all AC/heat controls, heated seats/ventilated seats/ heating steering wheel etc, fully check 4wd hi/low, locker, MTS all work and engage properly. Inspect the paint. Make sure the center jbl speaker works.

Read through the forum and make a list of all the issues people have reported and check the truck for them.

Toyota is doing an awful job QCing these trucks and the dealers aren't doing the pre-sale checklists properly. If you find ANYTHING wrong expect it to take months to resolve. If there is anything you don't like or can't tolerate just walk away.

houstonJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma SR
My .02 is the go over your truck with a microscope when it comes in. I mean test everything. Spend half a day testing it before you agree. Take a long test drive get on the highway feel how it drives listen for any rattles etc. Fully check all AC/heat controls, heated seats/ventilated seats/ heating steering wheel etc, fully check 4wd hi/low, locker, MTS all work and engage properly. Inspect the paint. Make sure the center jbl speaker works.

Read through the forum and make a list of all the issues people have reported and check the truck for them.

Toyota is doing an awful job QCing these trucks and the dealers aren't doing the pre-sale checklists properly. If you find ANYTHING wrong expect it to take months to resolve. If there is anything you don't like or can't tolerate just walk away.
your $0.02 looks a lot like feelings born from what you watch/see and not actually owning the truck...

...my .02

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
your $0.02 looks a lot like feelings born from what you watch/see and not actually owning the truck...

...my .02
Check out my post history and the threads Iā€™ve started before saying what my post ā€œlooks likeā€. I havenā€™t even started threads for all the issues my truck has.

This week my side view mirrors stopped working. So add that to the pile.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@KRiMZoN Toyota owns the midsize segment and it has for years. YouTube videos saying that the new Taco is great bore people, who just want to hear negatives, even when they aren't true.

To cancel your Taco based on YouTube garbage would be a big mistake IMO. I have owned many Toyotas, including Tacomas and Tundras and I have loved every one of them. My current truck is a 2011 Tundra that has had just one repair in going on 14 years. I don't know what else you would buy that could be more reliable than that.

Get that Off-Road, fall in love and then tell us all about it please!

Sponsored

trey_is_a_jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I am not seeing a thread showing your 2024...care to link me to it?
Here is my truck on the tow truck after the driveline sounded like it was breaking apart at 75mph. There is an open support case with Toyota corporate. They replicated the issue at the dealer but it has now magically disappeared. Toyota told me drive it and bring it in next time it breaks. Maybe Iā€™ll get lucky and next time it will break down less than 300 miles from home.

So yeah, Iā€™m gonna warn people. And despite all of this I do still like my truck.

Go check out the issues and support forum on this site.

2024 Tacoma Ordered my 1st ever Toyota - 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium, and starting to worry šŸ˜¬ IMG_1940

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Here is my truck on the tow truck after the driveline sounded like it was breaking apart at 75mph.
I have to agree that puts you in a really bad place. Your truck works fine now but you will be waiting for it to break again for as long as you own it.

IMO Toyota needs to either figure out what happened and fix it, or get you a new truck.

xraided

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 6MT TRD Sport/06 BSP Xrunner (RIP)
I fell into the trap of watching youtube and I too, started to worry and get those intrusive thoughts of "I hope my truck doesnt have these issues." So far i have a lil over 1k in miles and every time I drive it, those intrusive thoughts are rendered ineffective.

Im acctually all for the negative reviews for the new tacoma, It keeps the doubtful from buying the truck keeping the numbers of new tacomas on the road at minimum. I like the feeling of having the new tacoma and it no longer being the honda civic of trucks from the early 2000's.

2024 Tacoma Ordered my 1st ever Toyota - 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium, and starting to worry šŸ˜¬ IMG_5294

Last edited:

24Canuck

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma
What one has to remember is that the majority of YouTubers are journalists (Like TFL idiots) that have zero mechanical background or inclination.
As mentioned before some have preconceived notions before they evaluate a vehicle regardless of the brand.
I can only say the following...I drove Chevy trucks for the last 40 years of my life and I am about to take delivery of my second Tacoma. My 3rd gen was an awesome truck and I have no fear this one will be even better.

OP
OP

KRiMZoN

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium
Man, thank you so much everyone for the input. Even the negative ones made me more comfortable. And Trey, I hope they figure out the issue that really does suck. My mini was towed 6 times in the last 2 years ā€¦ trust me when I say I feel your pain
Sponsored