Sponsored

Ordered my 1st ever Toyota - 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium, and starting to worry 😬

tacotegu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went from a small mazda crossover to a 2024 taco offroad premium. Ran into issues initially with rear main seal leak. Dealer gave me max warranty 7yrs complimentary to compensate.

at the end of the day its just a truck. Its been running smoothly so far for me and im happy with the purchase. Only downside is my wallets feeling light after buying truck accessories… its fun so far building my own piece by piece
Sponsored

TacoJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
I have a 24 TRD Sport 4X4 Upgrade+ in " Underground" with just short of three thousand miles. I live in Florida but took it on a road trip to the mountains of North Carolina. Freakin' loved the handling on the winding mountain roads, the ability to "manually" shift, the smooth ride, the acceleration and the (love the sound of the turbo kicking in) damn good looks
I drove F150's for over 20 years and I really love this truck and have zero regrets or complaints.
I went through the same thing with having doubts after watching some of the YouTube videos out there (and even some of the comments on this forum) but the Tacoma has been the best selling mid-size truck for good reason. I agree with the other posters on here. YouTube is all about them getting views, likes and subscribers that equal revenue.
Buy one!
2024 Tacoma Ordered my 1st ever Toyota - 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium, and starting to worry 😬 1000027896

Duck Amuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Off-Road/17 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the MINI. I've had two, they're my favourite cars I've ever owned (although my first, a second-gen model, came with all kinds of headaches, but not enough to stop me buying another MINI!).

I bought a Tacoma totally site unseen and drove eight hours to get it. I have absolutely zero regrets. It's a wonderful vehicle, the tech works great, it rides well, it's extremely capable, and it does all the "truck stuff" I need. I still love my MINI to death and will never part with it, but I find myself driving the truck the majority of the time.

(PS - don't count MINIs out. I am guessing you got a second-gen, and yeah, they're garbage reliability wise. The third-gen cars are much improved).

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
What one has to remember is that the majority of YouTubers are journalists (Like TFL idiots)
Not to derail the original topic, but I do find it funny that everyone upon everyone seems to dislike the TFL guys. I think someone here in one of the threads referred to them as "shills". I think that's a fair comment, although I think that's also true for most of the Youtube auto "journalists" if you can call them that.

stillgotomx

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
My TRD OR now has 3000 miles on it. I love everything about it, except for 3 relatively minor issues:

1. The Multi Information display (the one behind the steering wheel) has a bunch of really nice settings, but 90% of the time, the settings get lost the next time you start the truck. It seems like this is not fixable, at least last time I seriously investigated it.

2. I get 23.5 MPH mixed driving around town, but on a longer 500 mile trip at 75-85 MPH it drops to about 17-18 mpg.

3. The upgraded front of the cabin experience is totally awesome, but you feel bad for anyone who has to sit in the back.

I would get this truck again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AirForce24

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Tacoma
I fell into the trap of watching youtube and I too, started to worry and get those intrusive thoughts of "I hope my truck doesnt have these issues." So far i have a lil over 1k in miles and every time I drive it, those intrusive thoughts are rendered ineffective.

Im acctually all for the negative reviews for the new tacoma, It keeps the doubtful from buying the truck keeping the numbers of new tacomas on the road at minimum. I like the feeling of having the new tacoma and it no longer being the honda civic of trucks from the early 2000's.

IMG_5294.jpeg
Where did you find your side steps? I’m having a hard time locating any. Would you happen to have a link? Thanks

xraided

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 6MT TRD Sport/06 BSP Xrunner (RIP)
They came with the truck! You can report to your nearest Toyota dealerships parts center and ask them to order a set if you dont want to shop online/pay for shipping, otherwise, just shop online they are the Predator Tube Steps! But now is the time to shop so you can take advantage of the 4th of July sale, 20% off. Heres a start that was sent to me from @alkregha

https://autoparts.fredandersontoyota.com/

Happy shopping!

AirForce24

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Tacoma
They came with the truck! You can report to your nearest Toyota dealerships parts center and ask them to order a set if you dont want to shop online/pay for shipping, otherwise, just shop online they are the Predator Tube Steps! But now is the time to shop so you can take advantage of the 4th of July sale, 20% off. Heres a start that was sent to me from @alkregha

https://autoparts.fredandersontoyota.com/

Happy shopping!
Thanks. Found it and good discounts.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I would like to get those also.

Hopefully I can sell my Pro's fake rock sliders.

Sponsored

taco.b0ut.it

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Off-Road Long Bed
It's a great truck, alot of the issues/problems are blown out of proportion especially on Youtube to get clicks, on *certain* Facebook groups like Taco Nation where the 4th gen gets alot of hate albeit it is very expensive. I don't think you'll be disappointed in terms of switching to Toyota from Mini with regards to reliability. It definitely won't be as nimble (and I was coming from a track spec BMW F82 M4). I also have a '21 4Runner OR and so if you really want a "truck" with ultimate reliability that you'll buy new today then you can get the last of the 2024 4Runners with the V6 and it'll go forever. I think the highest mileage 4th gen Tacos I've seen people posting about right now are in the range of 10-15000 miles. Other new trucks get alot of criticism when they first come out as well (whether warranted or not) if you search Ranger Raptor issues or Cybertruck...

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
The too expensive part is blown way out of proportion IMO That can easily be checked by building comparable trucks on other company's websites. The Pro and Trailhunter look expensive until you add the options to the other trucks that they come with standard.

Here is a Car and Driver article comparing a Colorado ZR2 to a TRD Off-Road. The Cliff notes version is that they picked the Off-Road ahead of the ZR2, which actually cost $14 k more than the "over priced" Tacoma.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ma-trd-off-road-2023-chevy-colorado-zr2-test/

tmac5809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Unfortunately with Youtube, you have a lot of people giving their en-educated opinions, and like others have said, many either don't own the truck and probably many of them have never had any experience with Toyota.

Lots of people on there will spin things their way... I feel like many of the opinionated in the comments sections crying that the sky is falling because of 1 Tacoma transmission issue, would be the same ones praising their favorite automaker for making things right if the same were to happen to their brand.

None of the click-bait doom and gloom videos have changed my opinion at all about the 4G. If anything I hope it causes many people to back off the Taco so I have a better chance at a discount when I'm shopping for mine. :)

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
The too expensive part is blown way out of proportion IMO That can easily be checked by building comparable trucks on other company's websites. The Pro and Trailhunter look expensive until you add the options to the other trucks that they come with standard.

Here is a Car and Driver article comparing a Colorado ZR2 to a TRD Off-Road. The Cliff notes version is that they picked the Off-Road ahead of the ZR2, which actually cost $14 k more than the "over priced" Tacoma.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ma-trd-off-road-2023-chevy-colorado-zr2-test/
This is exactly the issue. With the exception of the Frontier, which everyone wants to praise but won't actually buy, the truck is completely in line with other manufacturers. For the Canyon and Colorado, there is now a $10k package that brings the price to around $66k, which is the same price as a PRO. The Canyon Denali is $55k, the same price as a non-hybrid Limited. Go down the model range, and it all plays out the same. They're just mad because their moms said "No."

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I ordered a 2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium in Black about 5 weeks ago ( I’m in Canada 🇨🇦 ) and I received a text from the dealership last week saying it will be in early next week!
Lucky you're after black. I have tracked down 3 Off-Road hybrids in Alberta and they've all been black, and that's the only colour I really don't want lol. I feel like the first production run they did for Canada was strictly black. When I asked one dealer about their allocations, he said Toyota's not even allocating any hybrids that aren't pre-ordered now?? Luckily mine's been ordered for MONTHS, but still no build date.. *sigh*
Sponsored