Sponsored

tomvb1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Created an account just to let everyone know of my experiences with the new MX4 from Bak.
Received It earlier today and noticed that the instructions in the box were for model years 16-23. So I had to call and got them to email over the 24 instructions which are just slightly different.
As pointed out earlier, the factory bed rails are to be left in place and this is what the cover rails mount to. Little bit of difficulty with getting the rails in the correct spot, but the real trouble is that now there is hardly any support vertically and the bed cover rails bend a ton. Tried many different mounting positions but all are coming up the same. There just wasn’t enough sturdiness with this new design to close the cover and get it to latch all the way. I’ll be returning it tomorrow to go with another cover.

Have always had good luck with the MX4s on other trucks but this is a huge let down. Hope everyone has better luck!
Stitman37 - could you post or upload the 24 instructions? They aren't on the RealTruck product page yet and I'm wondering if they would solve some of the installation challenges I had when installing mine yesterday (mine also came with the 16-23 instructions). I haven't been able to find them anywhere else.

I'm planning to post my full experience here but want to call out if the 2024 instructions made things easier. Overall, I'm still happy with it and the initial installation was pretty straightforward. The hardest part so far has been getting the front-to-back adjustment precisely the way it should be.

It seems like the cover is almost a precision size and dimensions to help keep water out but I'm now wondering if the thickness of my spray-on liner is causing some of the final adjustment issues. Either that or the design is about a 1/4 inch off to make things fit together right the first time.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I'm now wondering if the thickness of my spray-on liner is causing some of the final adjustment issues.
uh oh, mine comes with spray also… thanks for the heads up

tomvb1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Just to be clear, I'm not 100% sure that causes a problem. It's mostly a theory because the fit is so tight (a good thing) and I need like a 1/4" of extra space to finish adjustments.

That's also why I want to see the 2024 instructions to see if they call out something I missed.

Sidrta

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Well, I ordered the BAK MX-4 and had it delivered. After much review I decided to go with the OEM cover for several reasons. With the BAK you loose the ability to have a divider (with some slight modifications needed to the divider) and use the rail tie downs, because the clamps with the BAK limit their use. If these are not important to you, one may want to go with the BAK. I thought if I paid $50k on a truck, why do I want to loose the functionality of the vehicle. Also, I was unable to determine any major improvements with the new BAK vs the OEM which is made by BAK.

BAK shared with me that the change in their rail system was to mitigate damage that could be caused to the cover by water using the old system and tighten it too much.

Sponsored

tomvb1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Ruissimo - ignore what I said about the spray-in bed liner - it's not a problem.

I just finished making some final adjustments and got everything to fit just right. The main problem was that the clamp (part G in step 5 of the 16-23 instructions) at the cab end of the rail interferes with the position of the cover retaining clamp (part F in step 9). Both of the parts can only go in one spot so not sure if that's a design problem or something I just haven't figured out.

Because the cover must be all the way forward to provide clearance for the tail gate, I removed the clamp (part G) until I figure how to get them side-by-side. It's not ideal, but it'll work for now.

I am still happy with the purchase but will point out some of things I discovered that weren't included in the instructions but turned out to be critical. I'll send a more complete writeup with pics later.

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I just finished installing my Backflip MX4. I think it looks really good but the locking rail definitely leaves a lot to be desired. I tried to make adjustments to the latches but the rail gives way too much. I'm going to call real truck tomorrow to see if they can suggest anything because that rail is way too flimsy. When you try to lock the latch it gives out.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240705_205951

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240705_160721

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240705_205957

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240705_155312~2

Last edited:

tomvb1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
bsquaredMTB - looks great! I can only guess but maybe the clamps on the side rails are not positioned exactly right to give the rails the stiffness you want. It's only a guess as I didn't have that issue.

Here is my experience with the BAKflip MX4 installation on my 2024 TRD Sport.

Although I ran into some installation annoyances, I'm still happy with the purchase so far and love the matte finish ultra-low-profile look as that was one of the reasons I bought this one.

1. Ordered from RealTruck.com on 6/5/24. Since it wasn't available elsewhere, figured ordering from the manufacturer would be fastest.
2. Was still in order fulfillment on 6/13, so opened a support ticket asking for an update.
3. On 6/17 (a Monday), got an answer that it would be shipped on or before 7/3. I wasn't totally surprised but do wish their site was more informative and forecasted shipping dates. I expect they started manufacturing this particular sku very recently.
4. Got my shipping confirmation on 7/1 and received it on 7/3.

Installation
Installation was actually pretty straightforward but all the hassle so far as been getting the fit adjusted just right.

Mine came with the model year 16-23 instructions. They weren't too far off for the 2024 but there was one instruction which said to remove the endcaps on the rail header. That didn't make sense because the 2024 header rail isn't the full width of the bed and already has tapered caps so I ignored it.

The MX4 came with weather stripping which wasn't noted on the instructions. From one of the installation videos for an F-150, learned that it might be needed if you don't have a spray-on liner. I do but installed the weather stripping anyway. It didn't get in the way and figured it would help keep water out.

The drain tubes are 5/8" but the drain holes are much smaller. I haven't drilled mine out yet. Having a wide tube is good to keep it from clogging if dirt gets in there, but am thinking about necking it down to fit the oem drain holes. That is totally just my personal preference and I may end up drilling the holes bigger later.

One thing the model year 16-23 instructions don't call out is that the cover should be slid all the way forward so the flexible trim seal fully covers the end wall of the bed. That's the only way I could get enough clearance between the tailgate and the cover latches on the last panel. The instructions say it should have about a 1/8" gap at the tailgate but can't get that unless the cover is all the way forward.

The main problem was that the clamp (part G in step 5 of the 16-23 instructions) at the cab end of the rail interferes with the position of the cover retaining clamp (part F in step 9). Both of the parts can only go in one spot so not sure if that's a design problem or something I just haven't figured out.

This is what it looks like with the clamp in place showing how it's position interferes with the cover retaining clamp. The adapter rail can't move and the outside part of the clamp must go in a slot (not shown) so can't figure out how to get them aligned.
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1720238198045-5e

Because the cover must be all the way forward to provide clearance for the tail gate, I removed the clamp (part G) until I figure how to get them side-by-side. It's not ideal, but it'll work for now.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1720238291162-xs

The final thing I had to figure out was how to get the BAKFlip rails to be vertical against the rail adapters which are mounted to the OEM rails. This is covered in steps 5 and 6 of the model year 16-23 instructions but getting it perfect turned out to be hugely critical.

The top of the bed side of Clamp G must be fully inserted into the rail as shown in step 6 to ensure the rail doesn't lean toward the bed. If it does, it will be too low for the cover latches to lock into place. I had to pull back on the rail while inserting that part of the clamp to get it to fully lock in place. Once that was done, the rail was level with the bed cap and the latches now make a very satisfying click when they snap in place.

Instead of having the bottom of the rail side of Clamp G meet the upper slot at the bottom of the bed side of Clamp G like the instructions said, I used the lower slot as that seemed to work better and keep it level. Other than that, the diagram is close to what I ended up doing.

This is how they look installed.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1720238416671-wa

Here are a few more shots of the final install showing the overlap near the cab and the clearance near the tailgate.

Front of cover overlapping the cab end of the bed.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1720238578840-lt

Clearance between the adapter rail and the tailgate fully closed.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1720238691965-o7

With the back panel slightly lifted. I wanted to show the clearance from the latch to the tailgate but it's hard to see,

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1720238795875-bv

For reference, here is how the BAKFlip rails overlay the OEM bed top rubber.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1720238978835-77

and finally, how it overlaps the Tacoma on the top of the tailgate when it's closed.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 1720239031798-ae

It was a bit of a pain to get everything adjusted just right but it's all done now. Still very happy with the purchase.

Hope this helps anyone else thinking about getting one.

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
For reference the addendum missing from the paperwork sent in the box:

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma IMG_5046
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma IMG_5033
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma IMG_5034

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone with the OEM cover notice an issue being able to open the flap on the power (or compressor) cubby? This issue is mitigated with the new design. Wondering if it is a problem on the OEM cover? Anyone willing to take a pic?

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma IMG_5038

Sponsored

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Wow.. Alot of info.. Now I'm still even more torn on canceling my MX4 and going with the OEM. Especially with the discount right now.... I like the look of both but why does everyone say the rails bend so much with the new installation. How is the oem better... They must be installed very similarly

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow.. Alot of info.. Now I'm still even more torn on canceling my MX4 and going with the OEM. Especially with the discount right now.... I like the look of both but why does everyone say the rails bend so much with the new installation. How is the oem better... They must be installed very similarly
I installed the new MX4 and I’m not seeing the bending others are referring to. If you hold the adapter rail firmly in place while tightening the clamps (while avoiding the bolt from pivoting in the slot), the result is a firm rail. That said I don’t like the loss of accessory rail use. I installed the cover and kept trying to convince myself it will be ok but now after sleeping on it and the fact that you can’t install/remove the sliding tie strap brackets without removing the adapter rail, I plan to return this cover and get OEM with the drop rails. I had also forgotten to pre-install my mini hooks that mount into the rail and it will require complete disassembly to add them and the position would be grossly limited.

There are some improvements with the new cover design. The adapter rail clears the textured part of the bed cap and seems to provide a nice seal on the smooth section. The old style/OEM overlaps the texture creating a leak path. Back in 2016 when MX4 came out, I shared several solutions on Tacoma World to improve leaks on the original design. Most of these mods are still needed to ensure a good seal at the bed rail. The new cover design mitigates the need to add extra seals.

Another improvement on the new cover is the rear section more is rigid than the original/OEM. You have to mess with getting the end of the rail just right to get the cover to latch on the old/OEM. It’s a no-brainer on the new design.

I’m on the fence on the new clamp that holds the front of the cover. It uses a plastic clamp onto the rails vs the through bolts and metal flange. Certainly the new design is easier to install which is good if you need to frequently remove/reinstall the cover.

All said and done though, I prefer the old style and currently the OEM cover is $467 less. I wanted to go MX4 for the extra warranty (5 yrs vs 1 yr for OEM), but the old design is better and worth the compromise IMO.

Serous fail on Real Truck’s part sending the wrong instructions (missing addendum for 2024 Tacoma). They are going to get a lot of calls about it.

Last edited:

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
You guys are great with all this info! That’s what this forum is all about: helping folks make better decisions.

i appreciate it, and will contribute in a couple weeks (hopefully) when i get my truck!

I ordered my tonneau from Prestige Toyota with the discount and they emailed me saying 1-2 weeks for delivery. Which is perfect since I’m in Tennessee next week for work and on vacation the week after. Hopefully the stars align and QC hold will be over by then!

Thanks again.

tomvb1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
For reference the addendum missing from the paperwork sent in the box:

IMG_5046.jpeg
Tekoma - many thanks for this! I moved my front clamps just like it shows.

Does seem a little odd they tell you to do that instead of putting the outside half of the clamp through the slot in the tab like in thee 16-23 instructions but since it's just a clamp, either way works.

BadApe

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
1) No BUT look up Youtube for installation videos on the newer Tundra OEM cover. They are exactly the same with a few minor differences- The Tundra cover has you stuffing a foam piece near the edge of the bed as Step 1, skip this step. The included foam for the Tacoma OEM kit is for the part of the cover that rests against the window when folded up. The only other difference is how the bolt is secured, they use a different type of locking nut.

2) Yes, with patience. Give yourself ~3 hrs time if you are really not DIY-friendly. You will need a few additional tools like a torx bit and phillips head screwdriver. If there is any doubt, I would go find a local mechanic, body shop, local car-savvy friend, etc and ask to pay them 1 hr labor to install this, I am sure they will oblige.
Thanks. I chickened-out and just had the dealer install it. I don't have the tools or the patience. And it's really hot. They installed cover and tube steps for me. Happy with the results.

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240628_120318

2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240628_120329
Sponsored