Sponsored

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
The only flaw with the otherwise excellent OEM cover is the attachment hardware. It's hard to install, and you'll drop washers more than once. Given this is supposed to be easy to remove/replace, the hardware is a bit of a fail. They should have used captured bolts on the cover with the correct spacers, and handwheel nuts underneath to make it removable without tools.
Don’t know that the OEM cover is advertised as easy to remove. It is a variation of the previous Gen MX4 cover. Despite how finicky the hardware is, it more robust than the former MX4 model. The old MX4 also had hand wheels in place of the nuts/lock washers. Toyota is clearly concerned about people inadequately attaching the cover given the fact that they even add cotter pins. I’ve had the previous MX4 (similar to OEM) on my last two Tacomas and never had to take it off.

The new MX4 for 2024 much easier to remove/reattach. This is one of the few improvements I liked about it. It is also notably lighter which makes it easier to take off/flip open/closed but also means they cut some cost.

I ended up returning the MX4 due to the redesign allowing water to collect in the under side of the cross rails at the folds and pouring all over the bed when opened.

I have the OEM cover now and I’m much happier with the quality. Zero leaks and drop rails retained. I removed the silly emergency exit handle, drove me nuts whenever I fold the cover open.
Sponsored

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Don’t know that the OEM cover is advertised as easy to remove. It is a variation of the previous Gen MX4 cover. Despite how finicky the hardware is, it more robust than the former MX4 model.
Because I have neither my truck nor my tonneau cover (the latter is at the dealer, waiting for me to pick it up), I don't know how this kit helps (or if it does at all). But I bought one anyway because I heard the extra parts come in handy:

BAKFlip MX4 Upgrade Kit | RealTruck

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Just installed my OEM Toyota hard bed cover. Super high quality and easy to install. Looks great too, if anyone is on the fence call your Toyota dealer and order one.

IMG_2522.jpeg

IMG_2523.jpeg
I noticed on your pictures that the "old style" mount extends out to the plastic rails. That's nice. The new MX4 doesn't extend that far out so there are some gaps where water can get in. Too late for me since I've already installed the MX4 but worth noting if anyone else is trying to decide in the future. Sounds like the OEM one is the way to go.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I noticed on your pictures that the "old style" mount extends out to the plastic rails. That's nice. The new MX4 doesn't extend that far out so there are some gaps where water can get in. Too late for me since I've already installed the MX4 but worth noting if anyone else is trying to decide in the future. Sounds like the OEM one is the way to go.
Oem one is deff way to go

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I had mine installed at the dealer prior to delivery. It is a very clean look. However, it is definitely not waterproof. I get water in the bed both going through a car wash and when it rains. Trying to figure out how the water gets n when it rains.
I initially thought it was water tight. But recent vacation had a down pour that had water show up in the bed. Not exactly sure how.

It’s pretty good through car washes and light rain.

I figure there must be a positioning issue or maybe the front drains aren’t working. I can’t see the joints leaking. It was only on the sides.

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Mine is leaking at the front corners when driving in rain. I can see daylight from in the bed with tonneau is closed out the 2 corners.

Will try some weatherstrip first then silicon if that fails.