Paint imperfections- orange peel finish

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyta Tacoma Sport Premium 6’ bed
I did some detailing on my Sport Premium the other day and noticed a fair amount of orange peel on my Underground paint. I had noticed a bit when I took delivery but was not too concerned but detailing the truck did bring out some spots that I hadn’t noticed before. Paint has a 3 year warranty against imperfections but truthfully there is nothing Toyota can do about this. Does anyone know what I might be able to apply to the paint that may lessen the noticeability of the orange peel? Is there even a product out there that might help? Would a ceramic application help any? I would certainly appreciate any information that might help. Thanks!
Sponsored

M40A1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD
I did some detailing on my Sport Premium the other day and noticed a fair amount of orange peel on my Underground paint. I had noticed a bit when I took delivery but was not too concerned but detailing the truck did bring out some spots that I hadn’t noticed before. Paint has a 3 year warranty against imperfections but truthfully there is nothing Toyota can do about this. Does anyone know what I might be able to apply to the paint that may lessen the noticeability of the orange peel? Is there even a product out there that might help? Would a ceramic application help any? I would certainly appreciate any information that might help. Thanks!
Where is the orange peel located? If it's along the bottom portion of the vehicle then, I believe, this is normal.

Deleted User 1813921

I also noticed orange peel on my underground Tacoma. The charge for premium colors apparently also gets you better quality as well.

OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Note to M40A1 -Thanks-The supposed orange peel that you’re referring to along the bottom is actual protective coating of sorts. No -my orange peel is mostly located underneath the windows of the doors and in the front fenders.- where there is a bend or a curve in the side panels it becomes more noticeable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s quite noticeable along the fender below the battery.

2024 Tacoma Paint imperfections- orange peel finish IMG_3977

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Ceramic coat will not remove nor lessen the orange peel. Your only "good" option is to take it to a good detailer and they will do a 2 stage paint correction to smooth it out. Expect for a good job and not a hack job to be around $2K or so.

OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ceramic coat will not remove nor lessen the orange peel. Your only "good" option is to take it to a good detailer and they will do a 2 stage paint correction to smooth it out. Expect for a good job and not a hack job to be around $2K or so.
Thanks for this. I will definitely look into it.

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma and 4Runner Off-road
That doesn’t look like it can be “detailed” out. Even with a heavy cutting pad, it isn’t going to remove orange peel in the base coat.

OP
OP
Fireguy67

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for your comments. I may just have to live with it. I must admit my 2nd gen had a far better paint job but….. I guess it is what it is!

Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That doesn’t look like it can be “detailed” out. Even with a heavy cutting pad, it isn’t going to remove orange peel in the base coat.
Yes it can with a good detailer.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
A good detailer will start with measuring paint thickness. Based on what others have reported, they will not wet sand one of these trucks. The paint is too thin.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A good detailer will start with measuring paint thickness. Based on what others have reported, they will not wet sand one of these trucks. The paint is too thin.
Ok if you say so. I'm done here. I guess there are plenty of good detailers on here that do it for a profession. Live with your orange peel and think it can't be done. Never said cheaply BTW.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Ok if you say so. I'm done here. I guess there are plenty of good detailers on here that do it for a profession. Live with your orange peel and think it can't be done. Never said cheaply BTW.
lol.. You can't remove orange peel with a pad and machine. It has to be wet or dry sanded, then the sanding marks have to be removed with a rotary machine and a wool wheel (usually). These processes remove material (paint and clear coat) to flatten the paint/clearcoat. The paint is too thin to do these stapes effectively. This isn't rocket science.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol.. You can't remove orange peel with a pad and machine. It has to be wet or dry sanded, then the sanding marks have to be removed with a rotary machine and a wool wheel (usually). These processes remove material (paint and clear coat) to flatten the paint/clearcoat. The paint is too thin to do these stapes effectively. This isn't rocket science.
Since you are a professional detailer how about you put your money where your mouth is. When I get mine. It will have orange peel. I will take it to my detailer. When he removes it all and the paint looks perfect you pay the bill (it should be around $2500). If he can't remove it I will pay the bill or better yet if he says the paint is too thin and he can't do the job I will send you a bottle of Kentucky's finest bourbon? And don't worry your next come back doesn't need to be that he will do it even though he shouldn't. He usually only does high end cars. It isn't rocket science but unless you actually know what you are talking about and not reading on the internet you shouldn't speak about it.
Sponsored