Paint imperfections- orange peel finish

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@av8r I agree - paint on cars/trucks today is certainly not of the quality that it once was.

I was just replying to @entropy's comment about his paint being good everywhere but at the very bottom. As you said, it is the dampening foam Toyota has used for years. If that is all he is seeing, then he seems to be satisfied with the paint on his TRD Pro.

With all the hate and worry about the 4th gen I want to be an advocate for a truck I think is cool, although I know that opinion is far from universal.
Sponsored

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
@av8r I agree - paint on cars/trucks today is certainly not of the quality that it once was.

I was just replying to @entropy's comment about his paint being good everywhere but at the very bottom. As you said, it is the dampening foam Toyota has used for years. If that is all he is seeing, then he seems to be satisfied with the paint on his TRD Pro.

With all the hate and worry about the 4th gen I want to be an advocate for a truck I think is cool, although I know that opinion is far from universal.
This is the internetz...people are going to complain about everything. I'm still going to buy a Pro, but have decided to wait for a 25. I've been doing fine without a truck for a few months so waiting isn't going to kill me. I'm hoping they'll make the ISO seats optional and work out some of the bugs...maybe come up with a more realistic price, too.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
The seats maybe, the bugs definitely and the price, no way.

The Pro is expensive but in line with other top spec, off road, midsize trucks from companies without Toyota's reputation for reliability. Or at least the reputation they formerly enjoyed.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)

The Pro is expensive but in line with other top spec, off road, midsize trucks from companies without Toyota's reputation for reliability. Or at least the reputation they formerly enjoyed.
Not quite "in line" Fully loaded Raptor $58K, fully loaded Bison $61K and Fully loaded Pro $66K. Definitely a Toyota premium. Of those Raptor all day long.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Not quite "in line" Fully loaded Raptor $58K, fully loaded Bison $61K and Fully loaded Pro $66K. Definitely a Toyota premium. Of those Raptor all day long.
If price is all you're looking for, sure.

There are countless features neither of the above have that the Toyota does. Now that I have my TH, I cant believe I was even cross shopping.

Sponsored

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many

Being inline with other trucks doesn't mean there is value. Today, it simply means they're gouging us while providing inferior quality products. They will only continue to price them like this if we continue to buy them.

You're 100% on the former reputation. Toyota and Honda have done this before. Built lower quality vehicles and hoped their reputation would carry them to higher profits. It only works for a short time and then there is a dip, which isn't always easy to recover from. I guess we'll see what happens.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@av8r with a Chevy ZR2 Bison being a very similar truck and selling at almost the same price I don't see Toyota needing to cut prices anytime soon. Since you are waiting anyway maybe they will and you will save some money.

But the average new vehicle price in the US today is just under $50k, which puts most Tacoma trims near average. By your logic all vehicles are overpriced and you may be right, but price drops on new vehicles are pretty rare. On the other hand Ford has dropped some truck prices recently, so maybe more brands will follow. Only time will tell.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@goin2drt You are right about the Raptor, but I built a ZR2 Bison on the Chevy site and it came to $65,475.
Splitting hairs but I can't get it to $65.5K unless you start adding on a bunch of the add on stuff that the Pro doesn't come with. I am at $63K which is still $3K less. I am sure you getting that $3K back on resale as Toyota "should" hold the value better. I bet the paint is better on the Bison :crackup:

Standard Vehicle Price
$46,800
Model
$46,800

Options

11.3" diagonal advanced color LCD display with Google built-In
Standard
8-speed automatic transmission
Standard
TurboMax™ engine
Standard
Safety Package
$0
3.42 rear axle ratio
$0
Bose® premium audio system
$500
Technology Package
$950
ZR2 Convenience Package III
$1,490
ZR2 Bison Edition
$11,700
Total Vehicle and Options
$61,440
Destination Freight Charge
$1,595
Total Vehicle Price
$63,035
Net Price After Offers
$63,035

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
@goin2drt Not looking for an argument, and if I wasn't getting a Tacoma I would be getting a Bison. They are very, very nice trucks.

The only thing my build today had that yours doesn't was an upcharge for the red (great color) that Chevy set as the default, so I can't explain the difference. The chevy site listed two trucks at dealers, one for just over $66k and one for just over $60k. From what I have seen so far you are probably right that the Bison might have better paint.

I just get tired of the YouTube rants about how Tacoma prices are way, way out of line, while in reality they are just marginally more expensive and have historically held their value well. IMO you can't really go wrong with either of those two trucks. I wouldn't consider the Ranger Raptor, but that is just me.

Sponsored

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
@goin2drt

I just get tired of the YouTube rants about how Tacoma prices are way, way out of line, while in reality they are just marginally more expensive and have historically held their value well. IMO you can't really go wrong with either of those two trucks. I wouldn't consider the Ranger Raptor, but that is just me.
For many, the issue is a 2023 TRD Pro Taco was 50K. What changed to make the 24 worth $16,000 more? That's a 32% increase in price in one year. That doesn't settle well with most.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For many, the issue is a 2023 TRD Pro Taco was 50K. What changed to make the 24 worth $16,000 more? That's a 32% increase in price in one year. That doesn't settle well with most.
ALOT changed…

I suggest you look into it. If you seriously think this far into launch the 2023 and 2024 pros are similar outside of price change, you got some reading to do!

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@goin2drt Not looking for an argument, and if I wasn't getting a Tacoma I would be getting a Bison. They are very, very nice trucks.

The only thing my build today had that yours doesn't was an upcharge for the red (great color) that Chevy set as the default, so I can't explain the difference. The chevy site listed two trucks at dealers, one for just over $66k and one for just over $60k. From what I have seen so far you are probably right that the Bison might have better paint.

We were not “pro” shopping but were shopping Sport Premium to the others in the category; Colorado ZR1, Canyon and Ranger. We shopped, compared, and got the “best deal” within 200 miles. When all the dust settled we chose the Tacoma. However is was more expensive, about $3k more. However I 1000% agree about the value and think that the $3k is easily a wash on resale so then it became a choice of looks, benefits, etc etc and we chose the Tacoma.

Our choice would have been different if we were shopping Pro And the $60k price range. I just think the Raptor is better in a lot of ways.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
ALOT changed…

I suggest you look into it. If you seriously think this far into launch the 2023 and 2024 pros are similar outside of price change, you got some reading to do!
They're very similar. A price increase of 32% is more like a 10 yr cycle increase, not one year. There is nothing to justify that large of an increase other than riding the "everything is so much more expensive" wave that's been used to crush us over the last couple years. This is gouging. Nothing more. 5K, sure. I'm all in. $16K...lol...pure theft.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're very similar. A price increase of 32% is more like a 10 yr cycle increase, not one year. There is nothing to justify that large of an increase other than riding the "everything is so much more expensive" wave that's been used to crush us over the last couple years. This is gouging. Nothing more. 5K, sure. I'm all in. $16K...lol...pure theft.
Those first three words is all I need to know.
Sponsored