Sponsored

Hybrid owners: Does the gas engine turn on when you start the car?

andrewleader

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road 5' Automatic with Stabilizer Dsconnect
Hey any owners of the Hybrid, I’m wondering if the gas engine starts when you turn on the car, even if you’re just driving a few feet in the neighborhood?

For example, if you parked the truck overnight and start it in the morning (with the engine cold, but you don’t have the heater on), does the gas engine start up immediately? Or can you drive ~200 yards at a low speed in the neighborhood before the gas engine starts?

I’m curious since when at campsites it’d be kinda useful to be able to move the car a few feet without having the gas engine turn on and then immediately off (especially when the engine is cold). But any info I found online seems to indicate that hybrids probably start the engine if the engine is cold (unless it’s a plug in hybrid that has EV modes).
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
if i read the owner's manual right, the start button ONLY powers up the hybrid system (traction battery system). i don't have any control as to when/if the engine turns on/off. i have only been driving it for a week, but typically, no, the engine does not start until i shift into drive and press the gas pedal. i don't think you can depend on the gas engine not turning on when you start to move.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Hey any owners of the Hybrid, I’m wondering if the gas engine starts when you turn on the car, even if you’re just driving a few feet in the neighborhood?

For example, if you parked the truck overnight and start it in the morning (with the engine cold, but you don’t have the heater on), does the gas engine start up immediately? Or can you drive ~200 yards at a low speed in the neighborhood before the gas engine starts?

I’m curious since when at campsites it’d be kinda useful to be able to move the car a few feet without having the gas engine turn on and then immediately off (especially when the engine is cold). But any info I found online seems to indicate that hybrids probably start the engine if the engine is cold (unless it’s a plug in hybrid that has EV modes).
Either way it’s noisy! Under 25 EV mode triggers a nasty high pitched whine from a speaker mounted behind the grill…

canuck19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
The engine starts when you press the "power" button. Normally first start of the day the gas engine runs while the temps warm up. The electric motor helps boost the overall power. Then gas engine stops at all stops lights. It will also shut off when you coast to a stop. It will run all electric going down hills sometimes at freeway speeds. I have only had mine for 2 weeks so I am still learning how everything works! So far loving the immediate go from a stop, no lag at all. Doesn't seem like a 4 cylinder at all. It's also fun to see how far you can go electric only!

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
I have a hybrid on order, but I can speak as an owner of a Lexus hybrid. Toyota hybrids start the engine depending on the temperature. For example, if the car has been sitting all night, the engine will start within a minute of pressing the start button because you do not get full hybrid functions until the engine is up to operating temperature. The truck is a mild hybrid, and the system supplements the internal combustion engine (ICE) with added torque and power. While it sounds like you get some full hybrid benefits from the truck, in practice, it's going to prioritize power when you need it rather than economy. I look forward to figuring out the differences once I have it in my driveway.

Sponsored

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Yea that electric motor is an involuntary background thing, driver has really zero control over when it kicks on/off…I’m more interested in other equipment running with the engine off. Granted a cold start in the winter the engine needs to run to heat the cab. But a really nice flex is running climate controls in the summer. Anyone run the air conditioner while you’re parked doing errands in the store, come back to a 69 deg cab on a 102 deg day?

Last edited:

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yes, accessories run normally when the engine is not running.. engine may start periodically to charge battery and then turn off. This hybrid model has all electric accessories, except for the belt driven vacuum pump.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yes, accessories run normally when the engine is not running.. engine may start periodically to charge battery and then turn off. This hybrid model has all electric accessories, except for the belt driven vacuum pump.
Another fun fact while I wait for my truck. I didn't know that the accessories were all electric on the hybrids. Very cool.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Yea that electric motor is an involuntary background thing, driver has really zero control over when it kicks on/off…I’m more interested in other equipment running with the engine off. Granted a cold start in the winter the engine needs to run to heat the cab. But a really nice flex is running climate controls in the summer. Anyone run the air conditioner while you’re parked doing errands in the store, come back to a 69 deg cab on a 102 deg day?
Or sitting in traffic. I've run fully electric in air-conditioned comfort on a 90+ degree day, creeping along while the engine remains off until it needs to charge the battery.

bluemts

First Name
jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport hybrid

Mine engine has started every time. It's different from the RAV4 hybrid I just sold. My understanding is that the RAV4 hybrid was designed for gas mileage and the hybrid trucks were designed for horsepower. There are times when I'm driving in town that the engine shuts down but it doesnt seem to be as often as in the RAV4. I'm no expert on this subject. I've had my TRD Sport for 2 weeks and I'm getting 22 mpg and if I stomp on it, it gets up and goes. If I'm sitting in a parking lot and it's hot out and I have the AC going, the engine will shut off and the battery will power the AC.

OP
OP

andrewleader

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road 5' Automatic with Stabilizer Dsconnect
Thanks everyone!! Sounds like the engine will definitely start even when you just need to move the car a bit (unless you have already been driving it and are in slow stop-and-goes). This is what I suspected, since the hybrid is mostly for power as bluemts mentions. I appreciate you all helping confirm and add some info here, helps me feel good about my decision!

Being able to have the A/C running while stopped at a light without the engine running seems nice, but I think for my use cases the hybrid doesn't add the benefits I'm looking for. I really wish they had a bigger battery, especially a plug-in, then I would have went hybrid!
Sponsored