Pretty sure my 2nd transmission is going to fail

Spitfiredude

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tacoma TRD PRO
I am going to be that person that will flat out say I will be enjoying my 2024 4th Gen Tacoma for all the years to Come while you wait and watch us Get through a few teething issues but help each other through the ups and downs as we are having the time of our lives in these trucks. Life is very short. A single grain in the sands of time.
Bro wut? 🤣
Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Your circling like a vulture waiting for 2024 purchaser’s and owners of 4th Gen tacoma trucks to have a issue so you can swoop in and say I’ll be that person that feeds off of the dead and dying. I will be the person that will defend the purchase of first year of new generation. Why would you make a bad situation feel worse by making someone’s purchase feel like a bad choice. Did we all make a bad purchase? Should we all have waited for 2026 2027? So person to person tell me is this a forum of 2024 Tacoma owners all collectively suffering from 4th Gen buyers remorse?

OP
OP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
I am gonna be that person… this is why I don’t purchase in the first few years of a new gen. I feel really bad for some of the people who have their truck in with no fix date. Hoping they take care of you quickly & make it right. Not fair for the consumer(s).
I feel yuh. Someone’s gota test them out for the boys I was like eh I’m down I’ll do Gods work lol.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I am gonna be that person… this is why I don’t purchase in the first few years of a new gen. I feel really bad for some of the people who have their truck in with no fix date. Hoping they take care of you quickly & make it right. Not fair for the consumer(s).
I get what you’re saying but there’s always going to be a percentage of cars that fail every year. I bought the third gen and fourth gen not long after they both came out. Third gen went 211k miles and I only had to replace the blower motor for the ac system. I’m currently at 11,715 miles in the 4th gen and I’ve had zero issues. Hoping it stays that way but I’m confident in Toyota producing a good truck.

sparkytaco

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
That sucks.... I feel for you. They probably did not replace the torque converter (yours prob happened before the advisory to replace it when changing the trans) so it will fail again... I think the lemon law is 3x the same problem though. Dont let a lawyer take your money if the dealer is handling it.

Sponsored

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
oh man I hope this isn't happening. I just got mine back two days ago. I hope you get them to buy that back (as I would do if my second transmission failed).

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Hopefully they replaced or at least flushed the transmission cooler. If that didn’t happen failure is almost inevitable if initial failure put metal debris in system. Aftermarket transmission builders will not warranty transmission unless coolers are replaced (I know that this isn’t aftermarket).
Aftermarket transmission rebuilders also require a radiator replacement if the cooler is part of the radiator

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
So telling the truth isn't allowed?
That is allowed by law but good faith negotiations for solving a problem are best kept between the parties negotiating. If your good faith and best practices efforts fail you have more on your side to take that farther.

Think of it like you're actively trying to solve a problem, mistake or accident you made all in good faith. You want that opportunity and because problems do happen, it's only fair for you to have a chance to resolve it.

Problems are never fun and I hope it works out well for @fightforfood247. If using a state's lemon law know most have consumer agencies to help. All parties are usually better off if lawyers are not involved, but a lot occurs when a lawyer has the expertise and skill needed. Going into the latter should be as NOT messy as possible.

Good luck!

OP
OP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
That sucks.... I feel for you. They probably did not replace the torque converter (yours prob happened before the advisory to replace it when changing the trans) so it will fail again... I think the lemon law is 3x the same problem though. Dont let a lawyer take your money if the dealer is handling it.
So for mine atleast they did replace the TC. Idt that’s an end all be all fix. I think it’s a band aid for the situation.

timetoeatpotatoes

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
D:
If replacing the transmission and the TC is a band aid, what is actually causing the failures?

Sponsored

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Manufacturing process? Piss poor quality control? 🤔 who knows
TRD Jon just had a Toyota interview where the transmissions topic was covered. Sheldon B did mention root cause of a transmission problem.

My curiosity is actual numbers and it could be time for what might be a recall. It might be like our having two otherwise legendary known-good Toyotas were they were a few our thousands of hundreds of thousands that had problems. I've got empathy because it was no fun when my 4Runner had the transmission and clutch dropped 3x. Once for early problem, once for idiots who did not read the TSB, and finally to fix it right. It was a bad bearing OEMs sent to competitors too.

It was long ago but I was in production mgmt and QC in a parts maker that supplied to Honda, GM, and John Deere. Sad as it may sound less than 1% type problems occurred but that did not lead to recalls. When I looked at the govt reports site a week ago the problems were not yet near 1% of what's shipped.

Good luck to all here.

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma and 4Runner Off-road
TRD Jon just had a Toyota interview where the transmissions topic was covered. Sheldon B did mention root cause of a transmission problem.
What was the time mark in the video?

I’m pretty sure I listened to that section and didn’t hear Mr. PR mention root cause.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
What thread was the link to that video in? I might finally have time to watch that tomorrow and now I can't find it. If Toyota has a root cause for this I would love to hear about it.

@fightforfood247 I am still waiting for my Taco but I think if a second transmission fails I will be wanting a buy back too. Let us know what your dealership has to say, but it is hard to imagine that getting stuck in 2nd gear is normal. Good luck.

OP
OP

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
What thread was the link to that video in? I might finally have time to watch that tomorrow and now I can't find it. If Toyota has a root cause for this I would love to hear about it.

@fightforfood247 I am still waiting for my Taco but I think if a second transmission fails I will be wanting a buy back too. Let us know what your dealership has to say, but it is hard to imagine that getting stuck in 2nd gear is normal. Good luck.
Gotchu brotha.
Sponsored