Sponsored

I am giving up on waiting for my Tacoma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Samaritan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model 3, Subaru Legacy, Honda Element EX AWD
I waited, and waited, and waited... Now, I am calling it quits. Toyota purchasing (or rather non-purchasing) experience has been HORRIBLE. No direct ordering. I wanted a Limited Blue hybrid with grey interior, gave my configuration to a dealership, and almost one year later, there is nothing in the area, and no idea when and if it would become available.

2025 Ford Maverick is offering an AWD Hybrid, and a choice of exterior colors that are cool (unlike boring Toyota selection). I will be much happier with that, and will save on purchase price AND gas. Ford offers direct ordering - they build MY truck to MY specefication, provide VIN and ability to track MY order. And it seems to be more reliable, too.

You had your chance, Toyota, and you blew it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
What’s the payload on that Maverick? Bed length is just 5’ or shorter correct?

OP
OP
Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enjoy the car that just so happens to have a bed. You can give the Santa Cruz a run for its money!

That's exactly what I need. Not a bulky heavy truck that spends power on hauling its own battery. I don't do offroading, I don't tow huge trailers. A small unibody pickup is ideal for me.
But no, Santa Cruz has no hybrid + AWD combination.

Last edited:

Sponsored

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
compared to a loaded Rivian R1T, the Trailhunter is in the sweet spot.

Not sure the maverick competes w/the new hybrid tacos. I think Toyota has something in the works. It’s called the ‘Stout’ if I’m not mistaken. It’ll be a compact truck. Possibly BEV solid state.

OP
OP
Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s the payload on that Maverick? Bed length is just 5’ or shorter correct?
1500 lbs payload, 4000 lbs towing.
Bed length is 4.6, so just 5 inches shorter than Tacoma.

But fuel economy is 40 mpg, compared to Tacoma's 24.

To each its own.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
1500 lbs payload, 4000 lbs towing.
Bed length is 4.6, so just 5 inches shorter than Tacoma.

But fuel economy is 40 mpg, compared to Tacoma's 24.

To each its own.
I definitely think the Mavericks are interesting. Resale value on these I’ll be watching…

OP
OP
Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
compared to a loaded Rivian R1T, the Trailhunter is in the sweet spot.

Not sure the maverick competes w/the new hybrid tacos. I think Toyota has something in the works. It’s called the ‘Stout’ if I’m not mistaken. It’ll be a compact truck. Possibly BEV solid state.
I almost bought an R1T, but then my wife and I decided that we need a gasoline truck to travel longer distances without having to stop for recharging.

The Stout has been rumored, yes, but I am not waiting another 3 years to maybe, just maybe, get one. Ford direct ordering is so great! Toyota should start doing that. For the last year, I was searching Tacoma's availability on the Toyota website - extremely annoying.

OP
OP
Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely think the Mavericks are interesting. Resale value on these I’ll be watching…
It's 20K cheaper than the Tacoma that I was waiting for. And I work from home, will be keeping it for a long time. Not really concerned about the resale value. Plus 40 mpg vs 24 mpg would offset whatever I might lose when I sell it.
And insurance is cheaper.

Sponsored

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
I almost bought an R1T, but then my wife and I decided that we need a gasoline truck to travel longer distances without having to stop for recharging.

The Stout has been rumored, yes, but I am not waiting another 3 years to maybe, just maybe, get one. Ford direct ordering is so great! Toyota should start doing that. For the last year, I was searching Tacoma's availability on the Toyota website - extremely annoying.

Yea the allocation system sucks. I had to fly and drive back 800mi to get my gen 4 taco. Deposited July last year at a local dealer, they didn’t allocate. Huge time suck but the last time I bought a new truck was 2001.

timetoeatpotatoes

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
D:
I mean if you are considering an AWD vehicle why were you interested in the tacoma in the first place? completely different class of vehicle.

OP
OP
Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean if you are considering an AWD vehicle why were you interested in the tacoma in the first place? completely different class of vehicle.
Totally.

Because when I checked Mavericks 2 years ago, they were offering either hybrid OR AWD.
Tacoma was the ONLY alternative, that's how I ended up putting a deposit for a Tacoma. Later on, they annonced unimpressive MPG figures, but by then, I was pretty much committed. So I was compromising on many things - too heavy, too bulky for my needs, no good colors, no direct ordering, etc.

But now, Maverick has all that, and I am happily getting what I wanted from the very beginning.

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
My 1 year from deposit is coming up on the 22nd, waiting for a white TRD pro, I’m getting discouraged but I don’t want to switch brands

Status
Not open for further replies.