Sponsored

Heads-Up Display (HUD) on 2024 Tacoma - Like/Dislike?

have_lawn_will_mow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Limited Hybrid
If you to the “HUD Main” menu and hold down OK, then go to “HUD Driving Support”, you can change it from Normal to Full. Then you will get NAV in the HUD. Works with the built in Nav, but is even better with CarPlay Apple Nav, IMHO.
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm impatiently waiting for my Limited delivery and wasn't able to get a test drive limited HUD to display navigation. Does anyone have an image of what the HUD looks like when displaying navigation? TIA
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I don't have an image handy, but it displays each turn as you get close to it.

So it is not out there all the time but when it is time to pay attention it appears with text and an arrow showing your turn.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I also like that it shows navigation prompts from Apple Car Play and Android Auto, not just the Toyota nav. It comes up at the same time as you would get voice prompts.

I have come to appreciate it in my wife's Lexus SUV and it is the same display in our Tacomas. It has all the information that you need and is not cluttered or in the way.

After a few months of using it I would really miss not having it. Just don't try using it with polarized sunglasses.

Randyg

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide LTD; 2008 Speedway Blue Off-Road
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm impatiently waiting for my Limited delivery and wasn't able to get a test drive limited HUD to display navigation. Does anyone have an image of what the HUD looks like when displaying navigation? TIA
I also tried to get a shot of the HUD and dash displays in same shot but HUD disappears if focus is off.

2024 Tacoma Heads-Up Display (HUD) on 2024 Tacoma - Like/Dislike? IMG_5657

2024 Tacoma Heads-Up Display (HUD) on 2024 Tacoma - Like/Dislike? IMG_5661

have_lawn_will_mow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Limited Hybrid
I also tried to get a shot of the HUD and dash displays in same shot but HUD disappears if focus is off.

IMG_5657.jpeg

IMG_5661.jpeg
Thank you so much! I have a simple aftermarket speed HUD in my current daily driver, and after seeing the HUD in a GMC Canyon I was blown away at how advanced they'd become.

I don't think I can ever go without one again either.

Luckily I already have non-polarized sunglasses for work.

I really appreciate the photos, it's put me at ease quite a bit!

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
HUDs are great. It was one of the reasons I went with a limited. That plus the AVS.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
HUDs are great. It was one of the reasons I went with a limited. That plus the AVS.
Yeah - I saw all of the driving modes you get with the AVS - very nice.

I think the HUD should be standard or everything with the premium packages and above, and I am surprised that nicely equipped ORs don't have it.

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
Love the HUD, color icons, mostly use it for speed checks. The turn by turn is taking some time getting used to; I use my Apple maps on the screen & cue off the audio / seems to keep my focus on traffic better that way.

2nd day owning the vehicle drove 600 mi thought my HUD was glitchy, turns out polarized sunglasses kill the projection. Haven't bought a new rig in 23 years. first world problems

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
I also like that it shows navigation prompts from Apple Car Play and Android Auto, not just the Toyota nav.
Maybe that is just with native apps?
I tried Google Maps thru apple car play. It works fine on 14" display but im not getting navigation in the HUD.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I think you are right @Ron. It works with Apple maps and I find them more accurate these days than google maps so I have never tried that.

That change would probably happen in the Apple OS and maybe it will come along eventually.

Reactions: Ron

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
I noticed a feature in google maps the other day when it identified the location of a speed trap as i approached.
Then later i reported the location of a speed trap. Theres a button on the right side of the screen to report traffic problems - speed trap is one of them

Edit - looks like apple maps does too. Might be time for me to switch

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
That is cool @Ron - That would have saved me a ticket the second week I lived in Virginia.

I always preferred Google maps but I have been given bad directions too many times lately. Apple maps were a joke at first, but I find them very good these days. It is nice to have choices.

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
HUD is one of the reasons I went with the TH. Just a shame it doesnt work with polarized sunglasses because thats all i have.
I only buy cheap-ass sunglasses from Amazon these days. Believe it or not, I've had better luck with the lenses lasting much longer and scratching less than say Ray-Bans. Probably just luck... but still.

And the nice thing about them being cheap? Buy a pair of non-polarized glasses for driving, and keep a pair of polarized ones for when you leave the truck. All for $30 bucks or so.