Gulf States Toyota - ripoff?

Frog Mack

First Name
Frog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD, 14 FJC
Does anyone else feel like we're being ripped off when a $43K truck MSRP on the sticker is over $47K after distributor added 'options'?

I mean, is it really an option if we have no choice in the matter? Gulf States adds these to all trucks and cars, and then dealers add their own scam charges like Star Gard and Safe-Shield (which I was told they 'include' with all of their new vehicles), only to find out later it was included, at my expense of $695 for each!

I like my truck, but man, I hate feeling like I've been gouged.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Frog Mack

Frog Mack

First Name
Frog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD, 14 FJC
You do have a choice: find a different dealer.
says the man from Idaho.

all dealers in the midsouth can only buy from Gulf States Toyota, the only distributor for the midsouth. So yes, we can go 3 states away, but not as simple as “find another dealer”.

Every dealer in 7 states is the same. This is the right side of the sticker that didn’t used to be there.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
You mean the Gulf State Cartel? Not sure which one is worse....GST or SET.

Sponsored

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
well it seems that a plane ticket would have been cheaper than all your options.. would have done what sagebrush did and enjoy the ride

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I’m in Texas. Gulf states should be prosecuted for criminal levels of consumer exploitation. I fucking hate them. I always pay 3-5 thousand more for a truck because of $500 bed extenders and “paint protection” horse shit. It makes my blood boil. It’s never negotiable. And yet we are trapped with them.

I tried to go out of state during Covid but they would not sell to me. I’ll try again next time. At least I got my toyota extended warranty out of state.

by the way 43 to 47 is nothing is often way worse

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I’m in Texas. Gulf states should be prosecuted for criminal levels of consumer exploitation. I fucking hate them. I always pay 3-5 thousand more for a truck because of $500 bed extenders and “paint protection” horse shit. It makes my blood boil. It’s never negotiable. And yet we are trapped with them.

I tried to go out of state during Covid but they would not sell to me. I’ll try again next time. At least I got my toyota extended warranty out of state.

by the way 43 to 47 is nothing is often way worse
I agree with the OP and yourself. The gulf states always add extra crap on. I'm in Texas as well and found my dream build in Florida in June. Yep, $2,000 over MSRP and i don't care. Bought a $89 one-way airfare ticket and the salesman picked me up from the Melbourne airport. Drove it 1,300 miles back to Texas and now have 5,300 miles on my Taco and no issues.

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma Off-road
Does anyone else feel like we're being ripped off when a $43K truck MSRP on the sticker is over $47K after distributor added 'options'?

I mean, is it really an option if we have no choice in the matter? Gulf States adds these to all trucks and cars, and then dealers add their own scam charges like Star Gard and Safe-Shield (which I was told they 'include' with all of their new vehicles), only to find out later it was included, at my expense of $695 for each!

I like my truck, but man, I hate feeling like I've been gouged.
It didn’t use to be this way. The original owner of Gulf States was a cool dude, but his children are greedy mother fuckers. After he died, everything changed.

If you have a good relationship with a sales GM, they can pull stuff off the build before it ships from the factory. But you’d better be a repeat buyer and on a first name basis.

Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
  • Dan Friedkin owns Gulf States Toyota, which sold $9.1 billion worth of Toyotas in 2022.
  • The company, based in Houston, has exclusive rights to distribute Toyota vehicles in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Oklahoma.
  • His father Thomas, who started the business in 1969, died in March 2017.
  • Friedkin is the owner of luxury hospitality management firm Auberge Resorts, which has properties in Aspen and Cabo San Lucas.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I agree with the OP and yourself. The gulf states always add extra crap on. I'm in Texas as well and found my dream build in Florida in June. Yep, $2,000 over MSRP and i don't care. Bought a $89 one-way airfare ticket and the salesman picked me up from the Melbourne airport. Drove it 1,300 miles back to Texas and now have 5,300 miles on my Taco and no issues.
Well done. I will do the same next purchase.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
You do have a choice: find a different dealer.

I got my OR with the Premium package for $1700 under MSRP with no added on junk.
I flew 2300 miles for a deal…
Sponsored