Sponsored

Photo_Nerd

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
I agree with you in general @Photo_Nerd, but this is different. Toyota has basically told us that our transmissions might fail totally and strand us at any time, sometimes with little warning. That is a little stronger case than just worrying about something that a few people have reported online.

@tacorancher This afternoon as my truck was coming to a stop I felt a slight shudder and thought - holy crap - is this how it starts? So this situation focuses a lense on things that I might have never given a thought before

There is an old off road saying: A Land Rover will take you any place on earth, but if you also want to come back home again take a Land Cruiser. I kind of doubt that statement is totally true anymore either.
Itā€™s a good point. But I also feel like reliability is relative. Compared to how cars and trucks used to be, I think weā€™ve really come a long way. My old ā€˜86 Jeep would give me problems left and right. Leaked all over the place, would die randomly for various reasons (sometimes electrical, sometimes a vacuum hose would shift close enough to the exhaust manifold to melt it, etc). Even the sway bar was postioned in such a way where it would cut your brake lines if you hit a big enough bump. Ask me how I know thisā€¦. Lol! And that was considered a pretty reliable 4x4 in those days. People call them legendary, in fact. Fast forward to my old Ford Ranger. Also a legendary vehicle. At the time I bought it, even a Toyota salesman told me it was hard to beat a Ranger. But when it failed on me, it gave me absolutely zero warning. One minute, it was running as beautifully as the day I bought it, the next minute I was stranded on the highway during traffic hour.

Again, Iā€™m definitely not saying to completely ignore this. If itā€™s really an issue with all new Tacomas, I hope it gets sorted out. But I guess the point Iā€™m trying to make is that a vehicle of any sort should never be viewed as fool-proof. Iā€™ve definitely had my fair share of car troubles (even an engine that caught fire). The only reliability that you can control is yourself. If youā€™re heading out to a remote location, you should always have some sort of backup plan in place (survival supplies, satellite phone, whatever). Some vehicles can run a million miles, others fail at 1000. I guess I can share my personal offroad philosophy: ā€œThe only thing that will get you there and back is yourself.ā€
Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
Itā€™s a good point. But I also feel like reliability is relative. Compared to how cars and trucks used to be, I think weā€™ve really come a long way. My old ā€˜86 Jeep would give me problems left and right. Leaked all over the place, would die randomly for various reasons (sometimes electrical, sometimes a vacuum hose would shift close enough to the exhaust manifold to melt it, etc). Even the sway bar was postioned in such a way where it would cut your brake lines if you hit a big enough bump. Ask me how I know thisā€¦. Lol! And that was considered a pretty reliable 4x4 in those days. People call them legendary, in fact. Fast forward to my old Ford Ranger. Also a legendary vehicle. At the time I bought it, even a Toyota salesman told me it was hard to beat a Ranger. But when it failed on me, it gave me absolutely zero warning. One minute, it was running as beautifully as the day I bought it, the next minute I was stranded on the highway during traffic hour.

Again, Iā€™m definitely not saying to completely ignore this. If itā€™s really an issue with all new Tacomas, I hope it gets sorted out. But I guess the point Iā€™m trying to make is that a vehicle of any sort should never be viewed as fool-proof. Iā€™ve definitely had my fair share of car troubles (even an engine that caught fire). The only reliability that you can control is yourself. If youā€™re heading out to a remote location, you should always have some sort of backup plan in place (survival supplies, satellite phone, whatever). Some vehicles can run a million miles, others fail at 1000. I guess I can share my personal offroad philosophy: ā€œThe only thing that will get you there and back is yourself.ā€
Our concerns are not a generalized fear around whether this truck is dependable. Itā€™s focused on this TSB. Even if we are prepared to get ourselves back if we get stuck, we may not want the headache of it knowing weā€™re on this TSB list. I have a family and younger kids. I donā€™t want to mess with that. And with a new toyota I really shouldnā€™t even have to give it a thought.

Last edited:

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I agree with you in general @Photo_Nerd, but this is different. Toyota has basically told us that our transmissions might fail totally and strand us at any time, sometimes with little warning. That is a little stronger case than just worrying about something that a few people have reported online.

@tacorancher This afternoon as my truck was coming to a stop I felt a slight shudder and thought - holy crap - is this how it starts? So this situation focuses a lense on things that I might have never given a thought before

There is an old off road saying: A Land Rover will take you any place on earth, but if you also want to come back home again take a Land Cruiser. I kind of doubt that statement is totally true anymore either.
Wait you felt the shudder too when coming to a stop?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Wait you felt the shudder too when coming to a stop?
Yeah - a slight shudder just as I was stopping. I know it sounds a lot like your truck but it could have been the road surface - I don't know. It was just something that I had never noticed before. It could be me being paranoid after my truck was added to the TSB or it could be real. I guess I will know more as I drive it more.

I have never second guessed things like that with my Toyotas because I have almost never had any mechanical issues with them. But I don't have to tell you that knowing that my transmission might have been built incorrectly makes me pay closer attention.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Yeah - a slight shudder just as I was stopping. I know it sounds a lot like your truck but it could have been the road surface - I don't know. It was just something that I had never noticed before. It could be me being paranoid after my truck was added to the TSB or it could be real. I guess I will know more as I drive it more.

I have never second guessed things like that with my Toyotas because I have almost never had any mechanical issues with them. But I don't have to tell you that knowing that my transmission might have been built incorrectly makes me pay closer attention.
Well mine started doing that after 400 miles, not all the time though. Pay close attention to it, guarantee it wasnā€™t the road

Sponsored

Hannzie

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Well mine started doing that after 400 miles, not all the time though. Pay close attention to it, guarantee it wasnā€™t the road
I just had two hard shifts the past few weeks, but when I say hard shifts I mean it skid the tires it shifted down so hard. I had the odd rough shift but nothing like that. Probably not a good sign. I fall in the tsb with only 1400km (870 miles). šŸ˜ž

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
That sounds familiar - I just hit 500 miles yesterday. Unfortunately you have proved that until there are codes stored we are on our own, so I will be paying close attention.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
That sounds familiar - I just hit 500 miles yesterday. Unfortunately you have proved that until there are codes stored we are on our own, so I will be paying close attention.
Pretty much Iā€™m more shocked that my truck is shifting fine and no shudders since bringing it home from the dealer

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Pretty much Iā€™m more shocked that my truck is shifting fine and no shudders since bringing it home from the dealer
Yep - that is definitely strange. It makes you wonder if @tacorancher is right and the dealer flushed your transmission. If that fixed it and it doesn't come back maybe you will be fine.

I'm not sure that any of us within the TSB will ever feel totally safe again. I keep thinking of the Pro that died with 342 miles on it. I can handle it if that happens and I get a new transmission but that stuck in the middle bs is not a good feeling.
Sponsored