Sponsored

Photo_Nerd

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
I agree with you in general @Photo_Nerd, but this is different. Toyota has basically told us that our transmissions might fail totally and strand us at any time, sometimes with little warning. That is a little stronger case than just worrying about something that a few people have reported online.

@tacorancher This afternoon as my truck was coming to a stop I felt a slight shudder and thought - holy crap - is this how it starts? So this situation focuses a lense on things that I might have never given a thought before

There is an old off road saying: A Land Rover will take you any place on earth, but if you also want to come back home again take a Land Cruiser. I kind of doubt that statement is totally true anymore either.
Itā€™s a good point. But I also feel like reliability is relative. Compared to how cars and trucks used to be, I think weā€™ve really come a long way. My old ā€˜86 Jeep would give me problems left and right. Leaked all over the place, would die randomly for various reasons (sometimes electrical, sometimes a vacuum hose would shift close enough to the exhaust manifold to melt it, etc). Even the sway bar was postioned in such a way where it would cut your brake lines if you hit a big enough bump. Ask me how I know thisā€¦. Lol! And that was considered a pretty reliable 4x4 in those days. People call them legendary, in fact. Fast forward to my old Ford Ranger. Also a legendary vehicle. At the time I bought it, even a Toyota salesman told me it was hard to beat a Ranger. But when it failed on me, it gave me absolutely zero warning. One minute, it was running as beautifully as the day I bought it, the next minute I was stranded on the highway during traffic hour.

Again, Iā€™m definitely not saying to completely ignore this. If itā€™s really an issue with all new Tacomas, I hope it gets sorted out. But I guess the point Iā€™m trying to make is that a vehicle of any sort should never be viewed as fool-proof. Iā€™ve definitely had my fair share of car troubles (even an engine that caught fire). The only reliability that you can control is yourself. If youā€™re heading out to a remote location, you should always have some sort of backup plan in place (survival supplies, satellite phone, whatever). Some vehicles can run a million miles, others fail at 1000. I guess I can share my personal offroad philosophy: ā€œThe only thing that will get you there and back is yourself.ā€
Sponsored