Sponsored

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
it’s implied by simple probabilities. We have a small subset of 4G Tacoma owners here and have a handful of them with failed transmissions at minimum. Of course, people on forums are biased toward those with negative outcomes, but extrapolation suggests more despite our likely population bias.
Sponsored

Mykale220

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Off-road (cement)
oh, man. I gotta think it’s more than that at this point.
Perhaps the NHTSA is slacking, but according to their website, dealers are required by law to report vehicle issues to them and as of Friday the 9th when I checked last that is what they were reporting.

Wutangz_Taco

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro Tacoma
Perhaps the NHTSA is slacking, but according to their website, dealers are required by law to report vehicle issues to them and as of Friday the 9th when I checked last that is what they were reporting.
Interesting. I wasn’t aware they were required to report it. I’d be curious to see what teeth there are for mandating reporting.

Learn something new everyday.

TX-BluStreak

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
(I don't wanna jinx myself) but I get the feeling someone's not doing their jobs right when building these trucks in Mexico. For a brand new truck to have so many problems this early on is redunkulas. The likelihood of things going wrong is significantly lowered if these vehicles were built in Japan.

Sponsored

guterz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Technically, I was able to get mine to go from stop so I could get 2 miles down the road to a hotel for the night. What I did notice was it took a high rev to get it moving forward, once up to 35 mph and up, it ran fine... I'd imagine if I had to climb a hill or was in stop go traffic, it wouldn't have been able to make it without overheating the transmission.
Thats exactly what I had to do with mine. Tried going into manual mode and choosing a lower ger but only 6-8 worked. I then rev'd it up like crazy to get it to go from a stop. I limped it home about 2 miles. Once I got it home I turned off the truck, started it back up, and all the gears worked. I called Toyota after that, who towed it away. So far I am the only one I have heard about who has had the issue intermittently. They still found metal shavings in the transmission fluid and saw a code for a solenoid issue.

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Thats exactly what I had to do with mine. Tried going into manual mode and choosing a lower ger but only 6-8 worked. I then rev'd it up like crazy to get it to go from a stop. I limped it home about 2 miles. Once I got it home I turned off the truck, started it back up, and all the gears worked. I called Toyota after that, who towed it away. So far I am the only one I have heard about who has had the issue intermittently. They still found metal shavings in the transmission fluid and saw a code for a solenoid issue.
Well, when it first happened I could tell something was wrong while sitting in a parking lot. No check engine lights yet. As I pulled out I noticed I had to give it considerably more gas to get moving. I ended up pulling off the road into a neighborhood where I turned the truck off and back on, it went into lower gears, and I went about a quarter mile till I got to a stop sign where as I sat there I could feel it jerking forward as it was going up through the gears. Then the check engine light came on.

guterz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Well, when it first happened I could tell something was wrong while sitting in a parking lot. No check engine lights yet. As I pulled out I noticed I had to give it considerably more gas to get moving. I ended up pulling off the road into a neighborhood where I turned the truck off and back on, it went into lower gears, and I went about a quarter mile till I got to a stop sign where as I sat there I could feel it jerking forward as it was going up through the gears. Then the check engine light came on.
I had no check engine lights when my issue occurred. I was at a stop light with the auto stop hold on, had ect power button on (SR5 feature), and got to about 25 pulling onto the highway and heard a loud clunk, and lost power it seemed. Right after that I knew I had some sort of transmission issue. Once at the first light tried going but it wouldn't until I revved it up.

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
Does that mean this is all primarily debris related, as with the Tundra engines? Genuine question.
I think it’s just saying if debris in pan, then replace torque converter. The debris could have been from the failed transmission parts. However I do think it possible it was a run of bad transmissions from Aisin. Maybe due to a manufacturing glitch such as debris. If it was an engineering flaw maybe more would have failed?

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
Good info for the 13 people effected
Way more than 13. I already went through this. New trans after 5000 miles. My dealer got one a week after mine showed up. On forums I already seen 15. So wonder how many that haven’t posted there trans problems . Number just keep going up the more miles ppl but on this truck.

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
(I don't wanna jinx myself) but I get the feeling someone's not doing their jobs right when building these trucks in Mexico. For a brand new truck to have so many problems this early on is redunkulas. The likelihood of things going wrong is significantly lowered if these vehicles were built in Japan.
The transmissions are built in Japan. The engines in Alabama.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Based on other threads it sounds like the transmissions are fine and the torque converters are to blame. Using the same TC is going to cause the same problem.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Debris is likely from a failed component… which will circulate until it drops into the pan and at that point, it remains there. The concern I have is that the debris can damage planetary gears and possibly imbed in friction plates….. or hide in the valve body to be released later and damage something else….
is it a bad run of torque converters or a front pump failure? What has Toyota discovered with the inspection of these failed transmissions?
Question(s)to all of you folks who have had transmission problems…
Do you drive it primarily in manual or drive mode?
Eco, regular, sport ?
Have you driven the truck at wide open throttle/WOT from a stop, up to the speed limit?
No judgements, trying to parse out any irrelevant information and find a common set of related issues that may cause this issue: and for the record, there should be no issue, regardless of how they have been driven.

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The engines being replaced in the identified Lexus models and the Tundra were engines built in Japan. In fact the machining process that caused the debris was first introduced in Japan, and then repeated in the US.

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@32spoke Drove in automatic until the failure at which time I put in manual to see if I could get into a lower gear. Drove in normal (not eco, not sport). Generally, pretty easy on the throttle but there are certain sections of the country where you enter the highway and you've got to gun it to get up to speed to properly merge on... so yes, a mix of both.
Sponsored