Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
It may be buried somewhere in the manual, but I couldn't find it

I thought when I picked up my Taco and drove 12 hours home my entire set of the USB was playing. It was about 1300 songs

I added a bunch of songs and got slightly over 1500. Now it will only see and recognize several hundred songs which got old repeating a lot

I found some posts on other Toyotas that the Multi-media unit would not recognize any more than 500 (some said 250) songs in a folder and to create folders with less than 500.

I did that and it now seems to be working

Not sure if it is that or I tripped something else going over 1500 songs

I haaven't gone on a long drive, but browsing shows whaat looks like the entire contents

I believe my isssue is resolved. Anyone else have a similar issue and did the same thing?

Posting this up here because there wasn't a lot of there on using the USB as a music source
Sponsored

bresna

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
I've run into weird things with Toyota's ability to play music from a USB drive. I've been told it's nested folders. I've been told it's filename length limits. The way I've been doing it is to drag and drop the tracks I want onto the USB drive with no folders. I've never had a problem playing all of my tracks when doing it this way.

However, I will say that using "Random" playback in my JBL 2024 Tacoma with the JBL head unit really sucks. They clearly didn't put in a big enough buffer for a drive with a lot of tracks because it repeats tracks all the time. I've had a track get repeated less than 10 tracks after it just played. It may also just be that whoever designed the head unit didn't feed power to the buffer when it's powered down because it's really noticeable after re-starting the truck.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
It may be buried somewhere in the manual, but I couldn't find it

I thought when I picked up my Taco and drove 12 hours home my entire set of the USB was playing. It was about 1300 songs

I added a bunch of songs and got slightly over 1500. Now it will only see and recognize several hundred songs which got old repeating a lot

I found some posts on other Toyotas that the Multi-media unit would not recognize any more than 500 (some said 250) songs in a folder and to create folders with less than 500.

I did that and it now seems to be working

Not sure if it is that or I tripped something else going over 1500 songs

I haaven't gone on a long drive, but browsing shows whaat looks like the entire contents

I believe my isssue is resolved. Anyone else have a similar issue and did the same thing?

Posting this up here because there wasn't a lot of there on using the USB as a music source
It might not be the answer you're looking for but I just put my own or non-streamed, not form a default store audio in my phone's default player. I got there from realizing our own 3 auto makes, friends and family plus rental or fleet are all not so great at that relative to having Android Auto or CarPlay or where some vehicle dashboards without those platforms have you log in with their own apps.

Through May of this year so not long ago my dept (I'm IT director) also had an obligation to give a lot of staff support in addition to managing our own around 200 mobile devices. That was yet more evidence for my having tracks in my default player as best. A downside for some could be terms of service. Everything I put in my library was a legit or legal purchase if not something I made myself.

bresna

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport
It might not be the answer you're looking for but I just put my own or non-streamed, not form a default store audio in my phone's default player. I got there from realizing our own 3 auto makes, friends and family plus rental or fleet are all not so great at that relative to having Android Auto or CarPlay or where some vehicle dashboards without those platforms have you log in with their own apps.

Through May of this year so not long ago my dept (I'm IT director) also had an obligation to give a lot of staff support in addition to managing our own around 200 mobile devices. That was yet more evidence for my having tracks in my default player as best. A downside for some could be terms of service. Everything I put in my library was a legit or legal purchase if not something I made myself.
I am not sure what you're saying here... I think you're saying that you recommend putting everything on your phone and playing from that local library. That won't work for a lot of us that want to play from a larger library as most phones, particularly iPhones, have limited storage space.

I'd also note that it is a pain in the ass to get your own music onto an iPhone. They make it hard for a reason - they want you to use their music options so they get more money.
Sponsored