6 MT CLUTCH ISSUE

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
from last 2 months i been getting issue with clutch grind feel when clutch is all the way down to floor . Dealership coundt figure it out . It doesnt happen in all gear . Specially shifting to 3rd or 4th and only if i am speed up and shifting around 2500 rpm
so far i found 2 things when it doesn’t happen
1- if i let gas off early and then wait 1-2 second and wait for engine speed come down then disengage clutch its shifts fine no grind on clutch

2 - lets say i am driving at 35 km per hour and now its time for me to shift into 3rd . I put curise control on and then cancel it before disengaging clutch it shifts fine - basically i remain on constant speed and change gear it works fine

There is no problem in shifter

Any suggestions what could this problem be ??
Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Maybe an issue with the synchros?

Does it happen if you try double clutching?

OP
OP
Sandeep1994

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yes it does . Basically to prevent it not happening i have to let gas off early or be at constant speed before disengaging clutch . And its worst with imt on .

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Yes it does . Basically to prevent it not happening i have to let gas off early or be at constant speed before disengaging clutch . And its worst with imt on .
Weird. So you're saying it grinds when you press down on the clutch - not when you're actually putting it into gear? Bit confused. If the grinding is only happening when the clutch is depressed.... throwout bearing possibly? Doesn't make a lot of sense tbh.

OP
OP
Sandeep1994

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Weird. So you're saying it grinds when you press down on the clutch - not when you're actually putting it into gear? Bit confused. If the grinding is only happening when the clutch is depressed.... throwout bearing possibly? Doesn't make a lot of sense tbh.
Yes its only when i am pressing the clutch . But the strange thing is it doesnt do anything if i shift at low rpm or shift at constant speed

Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Yes its only when i am pressing the clutch . But the strange thing is it doesnt do anything if i shift at low rpm or shift at constant speed
Yeah I mean honestly - trucks under warranty and if the problem is easily reproducible then it's the dealer's issue to figure out.

When pressing the pedal, the fork pulls back the pressure plate via the throwout bearing and prevents the clutch from making contact with the flywheel. A bad throwout bearing could make a grinding sound, but usually the sound of a bad bearing is much more distinct.

What doesn't add up to the bearing being the culprit is that it only happens in certain gears. Even in neutral, the input shaft still spins, just no gears are engaged. So technically if it was bad throwout bearing, you'd hear it every time you release the clutch...

24TRDOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
from last 2 months i been getting issue with clutch grind feel when clutch is all the way down to floor . Dealership coundt figure it out . It doesnt happen in all gear . Specially shifting to 3rd or 4th and only if i am speed up and shifting around 2500 rpm
so far i found 2 things when it doesn’t happen
1- if i let gas off early and then wait 1-2 second and wait for engine speed come down then disengage clutch its shifts fine no grind on clutch

2 - lets say i am driving at 35 km per hour and now its time for me to shift into 3rd . I put curise control on and then cancel it before disengaging clutch it shifts fine - basically i remain on constant speed and change gear it works fine

There is no problem in shifter

Any suggestions what could this problem be ??
My truck also has this problem. Haven't gotten it looked at. Let me know if you find out anything.

OP
OP
Sandeep1994

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yeah I mean honestly - trucks under warranty and if the problem is easily reproducible then it's the dealer's issue to figure out.

When pressing the pedal, the fork pulls back the pressure plate via the throwout bearing and prevents the clutch from making contact with the flywheel. A bad throwout bearing could make a grinding sound, but usually the sound of a bad bearing is much more distinct.

What doesn't add up to the bearing being the culprit is that it only happens in certain gears. Even in neutral, the input shaft still spins, just no gears are engaged. So technically if it was bad throwout bearing, you'd hear it every time you release the clutch...
I heard it from an old guy yesterday he was a mechanic and worked on manual transmissions all the time .he said it could be my pressure plate fingers are not al aligned properly .

OP
OP
Sandeep1994

Sandeep1994

First Name
Sidhu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
My truck also has this problem. Haven't gotten it looked at. Let me know if you find out anything.
best thing so far i got is it could be presure plate fingers not aligned properly . .yesterday i was so shocked when i figured it out that if i stay at constant speed by using cruise control . Even if rpm are 3000 or above . And then cancel cruise right before disengaging the clutch . Its shift butter smooth no grind on clutch

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
best thing so far i got is it could be presure plate fingers not aligned properly . .yesterday i was so shocked when i figured it out that if i stay at constant speed by using cruise control . Even if rpm are 3000 or above . And then cancel cruise right before disengaging the clutch . Its shift butter smooth no grind on clutch
Plausible, but doesn't explain why it only happens in certain gears or certain speeds. Maybe some harmonics going on here and it only resonates at a specific shaft or engine RPM. Only real way to find out what could be causing this is for the dealership to drop the trans and take a look. I would just push them to do that at this point.

24TRDOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-road
I haven't noticed it at any specific speeds, however gears definitely grind for me when I push my clutch all the way to the floor.. ex... Clutch push to the floor, attempt to shift into next gear, grind, wait 1 - 2 seconds w/ lifting foot off clutch and push in and no problems... not my first stick car, and driven for about 2 years in various other sticks cars without this problem. hard to believe they messed up the fingers on the pressure plate but who knows... hopefully not since I'd hate for my brand new motor / trans to be pulled due to occasionally grinding of a clutch but... well see..
Sponsored