6M Sport+ Better fuel milage in Sport?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
With the pedal mapping and the turbo spooling more in sport you would assume fuel milage would be worse, probably minimal difference but worse in general, I haven't found the same with my Sport.

Every weekend I make the same 200+ km trip, same roads, same weather for the most part and same speeds at 125-135km each way. Not paying attention to average fuel economy numbers but looking at my fuel gauge and how much it costs me to fill at the pump, I've noticed I got much better economy running in sport the entire way 6th gear with no gear changes.

The couple times I ran in eco I seen hardly any change so never did sense as the pedal mapping is a nightmare to me, normal mode is what I've always ran because I seen no real need for sport mode on the highway and by the time I reached my Destination my fuel gauge would always be under 3/4 tank and cost me about $55-65 to fill depending on gas prices.

This weekend driving in sport I noticed my gas gauge only went down to the 3/4 mark and it only cost me $43 to refill, gas prices not really changed sense the last time I made that trip. On the way back home, same deal actually this time staying just a smidge above 3/4 tank.

Any else notice the same? Clearly I'm going to start driving highway in sport mode from now on.

Maybe the turbo spooling quicker in sport helps as I don't really make any gear changes once up to highway speed unless I hit a very steep hill and notice the engine needs a little more help from the transmission lol.
Sponsored

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Iā€™ve been driving around quite a bit breaking in my engine. I also bought a sport. Iā€™ve noticed (if the trip computer is correct) that I got better fuel economy on the highway in normal than I did in ECO.

ECO seems to be better for driving around town.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Both of our newer Toyotas get better MPG in Normal or sport/power mode than ECO. Neither are Turbocharged though. I think the key is to briskly, not flooring it, get up to speed then just maintaining that speed is the key? When your in ECO mode it seems like your always into the gas trying to get up to and maintain speed.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
With the pedal mapping and the turbo spooling more in sport you would assume fuel milage would be worse, probably minimal difference but worse in general, I haven't found the same with my Sport.

Every weekend I make the same 200+ km trip, same roads, same weather for the most part and same speeds at 125-135km each way. Not paying attention to average fuel economy numbers but looking at my fuel gauge and how much it costs me to fill at the pump, I've noticed I got much better economy running in sport the entire way 6th gear with no gear changes.

The couple times I ran in eco I seen hardly any change so never did sense as the pedal mapping is a nightmare to me, normal mode is what I've always ran because I seen no real need for sport mode on the highway and by the time I reached my Destination my fuel gauge would always be under 3/4 tank and cost me about $55-65 to fill depending on gas prices.

This weekend driving in sport I noticed my gas gauge only went down to the 3/4 mark and it only cost me $43 to refill, gas prices not really changed sense the last time I made that trip. On the way back home, same deal actually this time staying just a smidge above 3/4 tank.

Any else notice the same? Clearly I'm going to start driving highway in sport mode from now on.

Maybe the turbo spooling quicker in sport helps as I don't really make any gear changes once up to highway speed unless I hit a very steep hill and notice the engine needs a little more help from the transmission lol.
What about stop and go city driving? Have you left it in 'sport' mode for that?

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
What about stop and go city driving? Have you left it in 'sport' mode for that?
Yes, and it's hard to judge, as some days I drive like an asshat and other days I drive like a civilized human being but from what I can tell it's worse milage in Sport city driving, which isn't shocking.

Sponsored

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Iā€™m currently at 4200kms odo and have been driving in ECO 95% of the time. On the highway Iā€™ve achieved 6.8 L /100kms empty. I drive like an old woman (accelerate gently-moderately, 10 or 15 over posted limits) except for that 5% time in sport(asshatšŸ˜†) mode. Hey Iā€™m old, Iā€™m not dead.

I also tow in eco+tow modes and driveability is effortless compared to my previous ā€˜22 3.5 manual trans, where I used to have to get into the throttle hard after downshifting. I assume the computer is doing all kinds of shit to keep this 2.4 turbo producing the power it does while using 1/8 of a tank towing same route as the v6 which used 1/2 tank. Towing or not, when daily driving I find this 2.4 has enough power I only occasionally see the turbo come on.
All this verbal diarrhea to say I appreciate being in more control of my fuel usage than prev gen.
Perfect drivetrain for me, if they could just somehow invent a fix for the 4cyl sewing-machine soundā€¦ā€¦

Added- I have never used Normal mode. Why bother.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Iā€™m currently at 4200kms odo and have been driving in ECO 95% of the time. On the highway Iā€™ve achieved 6.8 L /100kms empty. I drive like an old woman (accelerate gently-moderately, 10 or 15 over posted limits) except for that 5% time in sport(asshatšŸ˜†) mode. Hey Iā€™m old, Iā€™m not dead.

I also tow in eco+tow modes and driveability is effortless compared to my previous ā€˜22 3.5 manual trans, where I used to have to get into the throttle hard after downshifting. I assume the computer is doing all kinds of shit to keep this 2.4 turbo producing the power it does while using 1/8 of a tank towing same route as the v6 which used 1/2 tank. Towing or not, when daily driving I find this 2.4 has enough power I only occasionally see the turbo come on.
All this verbal diarrhea to say I appreciate being in more control of my fuel usage than prev gen.
Perfect drivetrain for me, if they could just somehow invent a fix for the 4cyl sewing-machine soundā€¦ā€¦

Added- I have never used Normal mode. Why bother.

4cyl sewing machine sound is the perfect description and I totally agree šŸ˜‚ That noise gots to go.

Interesting take though! I usually hear from folks they get worse milage when using Eco on the highway, maybe it's all about how you drive it in eco.

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
4cyl sewing machine sound is the perfect description and I totally agree šŸ˜‚ That noise gots to go.

Interesting take though! I usually hear from folks they get worse milage when using Eco on the highway, maybe it's all about how you drive it in eco.
In eco Iā€™ve noticed the computer would rather spool up the turbo rather than downshift, and when itā€™s in Sport it downshifts extremely early. I have a relatively flat highway drive until Hamilton mountain so maybe Iā€™ll try Normal and Sport for a week ant an time and see what the numbers are.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
In eco Iā€™ve noticed the computer would rather spool up the turbo rather than downshift, and when itā€™s in Sport it downshifts extremely early. I have a relatively flat highway drive until Hamilton mountain so maybe Iā€™ll try Normal and Sport for a week ant an time and see what the numbers are.
That would make sense. Sport will always want to keep the gear as low as possible, higher RPM. I haven't experienced it because I have the 6M but my old Audi A6 was the same way in sport mode.