Sponsored

A very boring stealth radar detector install

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
I did a full stealth radar detector installation. I say it's very boring because it was easy and it's fully hidden. I don't like having a visible radar detector as it can attract unwanted attention (from cops and criminals). I wanted to use a switched power source because I travel to VA that has radar detector laws. I run the JBV1 companion app to view alerts, so no need to see the display.

I used the pre wired AUX 3 switch(5 amp) with the driver footwell pig tail port (port B). You use the white pigtail wire for + and the white with black stripe for ground.

I ran a length of wire along the the lower door channel to back seat.

I installed the radar detector in the rear center seat headrest. With a little foam cutting, my Valentine One fit pretty snuggly into the headrest. Anything larger would have been hard to get into it.

Overall a very easy project. Especially with the pre wired AUX switch.

2024 Tacoma A very boring stealth radar detector install PXL_20240913_225156295
Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Well not so boring as the first time I think anyone has EVER mounted a radar designed to be forward facing to face rear and blocking any forward facing warning in the rear headrest. I have been on car and radar detector forums for about 33 yrs and this is a first. Bravo and I thought I have seen it all.

OP
OP
Pootklopp

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
Well not so boring as the first time I think anyone has EVER mounted a radar designed to be forward facing to face rear and blocking any forward facing warning in the rear headrest. I have been on car and radar detector forums for about 33 yrs and this is a first. Bravo and I thought I have seen it all.
If you don't understand how this works maybe try not being an ass. It's still facing forward, it's just in the rear of the truck. Both antenna have clear line of sight. It's not a first in any way.

Sometimes thinking you know everything makes you seem like an idiot.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
If you don't understand how this works maybe try not being an ass. It's still facing forward, it's just in the rear of the truck. Both antenna have clear line of sight. It's not a first in any way.

Sometimes thinking you know everything makes you seem like an idiot.
Clearly sensitive about your install I see. Maybe if you are going to post on a public forum and don't like the reply that wasn't being an a$$ at all because the picture you show has NOTHING forward facing you should actually read your post instead of the name calling. Enjoy your radar detector and have a wonderful day name calling. You must be quite the hoot to hang out with.

OP
OP
Pootklopp

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
Clearly sensitive about your install I see. Maybe if you are going to post on a public forum and don't like the reply that wasn't being an a$$ at all because the picture you show has NOTHING forward facing you should actually read your post instead of the name calling. Enjoy your radar detector and have a wonderful day name calling. You must be quite the hoot to hang out with.
Dude, you came in telling me I did something wrong and idiotic. The v1 is in the headrest, it's facing forward. You literally can't see that in the photo.

Think about it, the v1 has a forward and rear facing antenna. They both work when in the front of a car installed on the front windshield. By your logic the rear facing antenna would never work when installed on the windshield.

And if you think foam will block radar signals you may want to reevaluate that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pootklopp

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
Here is the radar with the forward facing antenna facing forward in the headrest. Do you really think your first message wasn't rude and condescending?

2024 Tacoma A very boring stealth radar detector install PXL_20240914_174401905.MP

2024 Tacoma A very boring stealth radar detector install PXL_20240914_175714899

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I'm curious if you still get accurate detections with it being that far back.

I like the idea though, especially driving through VA. It's annoying to have to unplug if just for the area.

OP
OP
Pootklopp

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
I'm curious if you still get accurate detections with it being that far back.

I like the idea though, especially driving through VA. It's annoying to have to unplug if just for the area.
Everything I have read about similar installs (plenty of them online despite what others here think) is you might just get slightly off axis readings from a v1 in regards to direction.

Like I said before, the v1 has a rear facing antenna that still work great when "looking through" your car interior. This is no different, clear line of site to the front windshield with less than a half inch of foam and cloth.

The only area I could see having issues is LIDAR. But without a jammer it really doesn't matter as a hit means you're already toast.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
I did a full stealth radar detector installation. I say it's very boring because it was easy and it's fully hidden. I don't like having a visible radar detector as it can attract unwanted attention (from cops and criminals). I wanted to use a switched power source because I travel to VA that has radar detector laws. I run the JBV1 companion app to view alerts, so no need to see the display.

I used the pre wired AUX 3 switch(5 amp) with the driver footwell pig tail port (port B). You use the white pigtail wire for + and the white with black stripe for ground.

I ran a length of wire along the the lower door channel to back seat.

I installed the radar detector in the rear center seat headrest. With a little foam cutting, my Valentine One fit pretty snuggly into the headrest. Anything larger would have been hard to get into it.

Overall a very easy project. Especially with the pre wired AUX switch.

PXL_20240913_225156295.jpg
Cool install like a secret agent 007.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
33 years huh? You have cemented yourself as a forum troll with decades of experience. I knew when we tangled that this is how you would carry yourself. You have not let me down. Such a sad existence. Go into the dirt. I thought I had seen it all till someone actually bragged about 33 years of forum experience. Hilariously sad.

OP
OP
Pootklopp

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
33 years huh? You have cemented yourself as a forum troll with decades of experience. I knew when we tangled that this is how you would carry yourself. You have not let me down. Such a sad existence. Go into the dirt. I thought I had seen it all till someone actually bragged about 33 years of forum experience. Hilariously sad.
I think trolls do things intentionally, @goin2drt didn't understand what was happening and made an obnoxious comment. The troll behavior is denying he was being annoying and then not owning up to his mistake like an adult would do.

Oh well, it makes for a good read for anyone coming to this post in the future.
Sponsored