Sponsored

Radar Detector - MirrorTap and BlendMount on Digital Rearview Mirror?

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Did mine today. Used a blend mount and add a fuse. Ran it down the passenger side and popped into an open spot that had switched power. Took maybe 30 min total.
IMG_8399.jpeg
IMG_8397.jpeg
This is how I was initially going to do mine, but it's so much easier to just use the mirrortap and plug the two wires into the rear view connector.
Sponsored

gondem07

First Name
Demetrio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Did mine today. Used a blend mount and add a fuse. Ran it down the passenger side and popped into an open spot that had switched power. Took maybe 30 min total.
IMG_8399.jpeg
IMG_8397.jpeg
Can you share the link of the mount that you used. I quite like how it looks.

Thanks

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Installed our Valentine 1 in the Taco today. 10 minute job. Used a mirrortap power connection, and readily found switched power right at the mirror plug.*

You remove the mirror cover (the large one covering the forward facing camera) by sliding the whole cover down toward the dash while pressing it against the windshield. There's 2 clips on either side that will pop, it's quite simple and foolproof. There's also a center piece that pops out to allow the rest to come around the mounted mirror. Don't remove anything else.

With the cover off, you'll see the mirror plug on the left (drivers) side. It has roughly 6-7 leads. There are 3 larger wires in this plug. Red, Blue, and Brown. 12V switched power is the blue lead, and ground is the brown lead. Connected the mirror tap harness to these from the backside, and buttoned it back up. Works great. :)

-----
* a note of caution for those running wires down the A-pillar to the fuse box. There's an airbag in these pillars on both sides, and the wire you run could interfere with airbag deployment. For this reason, I prefer a mirror-based connection for my detectors. FYI.

2024 Tacoma Radar Detector - MirrorTap and BlendMount on Digital Rearview Mirror? IMG_2214 copy

Last edited:

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
This is how I was initially going to do mine, but it's so much easier to just use the mirrortap and plug the two wires into the rear view connector.
I have done mirror taps and it is not easier. First of all you need to research which colors are the correct wires. Not a ton of people have done it yet. Secondly the correct size “pins” for the mirror tap. Third you run the risk when inserting the pin cutting the wire. Fourth sometimes it is hard to get the pin into the harness. Running the add a fuse to the fuse box no joke takes less than 5 minutes. You remove the cover under the glove box, another 2 minutes and plug the fuse into an open spot. It can’t get any easier.

I have hardwired about 15 cars over the years. The job today was as easy as any.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you share the link of the mount that you used. I quite like how it looks.

Thanks
Here you go. I guess you can’t paste links. Search this “Radar Mount Mirror Mount + Direct Wire for Uniden Radar Detectors - R1 R3 R4 R7 R8 Extreme (3001209)

Last edited:

Sponsored

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I'm ordering a BlendMount before my truck arrives, so can anyone confirm what the mirror stem looks like with the premium package? Based on some youtube videos I've watched I'm pretty sure it's the first one:

TOY-000
2024 Tacoma Radar Detector - MirrorTap and BlendMount on Digital Rearview Mirror? 1723143938012-

TOY-005
2024 Tacoma Radar Detector - MirrorTap and BlendMount on Digital Rearview Mirror? 1723144003932-29

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine looks like the second one.

2024 Tacoma Radar Detector - MirrorTap and BlendMount on Digital Rearview Mirror? IMG_8514

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Mine looks like the second one.

IMG_8514.jpeg
Thanks for the picture. I sent it to BlendMount's customer service email and they said neither will work on the 2024 Tacoma due to the stem design. They're currently developing a product for the 2024 but it won't be available for a couple of months.

Last edited:

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I used the same one I had for my 2017 Mazda CX5 and it worked fine.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the picture. I sent it to BlendMount's customer service email and they said neither will work on the 2024 Tacoma do to the stem design. They're currently developing a product for the 2024 but it won't be available for a couple of months.
I have used blendmount. The one I have is a generic one off Amazon. Used it for a few years on my last car and it fits the Tacoma no problem. I would personally not wait for blendmount personally. The knock offs are just as good.
Search on Amazon ASIN - " B0788W1NC6". It won't allow a link.

Sponsored

davidl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD Off-Road
IMG_8399.jpeg
IMG_8397.jpeg
FYI, that bolt back there isn't a ground.
I routed my ground back up the A pillar and used the lower air bag mounting bolt.
Little sketchy but once everything is back in place doesn't cause any interference.

The A-pillar trim mounting bolts also aren't grounded.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI, that bolt back there isn't a ground.
I routed my ground back up the A pillar and used the lower air bag mounting bolt.
Little sketchy but once everything is back in place doesn't cause any interference.

The A-pillar trim mounting bolts also aren't grounded.
Ok if you say so. Mine works perfect so obviously on my truck it is a ground or it wouldn't work. Cheers.
Sponsored