Sponsored

Radar Detector - MirrorTap and BlendMount on Digital Rearview Mirror?

Scbmw017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD OR
Hello! Has anyone done the mirrortap wiring yet and figured out what two wires to tap into to get power to a radar detector?
Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Hello! Has anyone done the mirrortap wiring yet and figured out what two wires to tap into to get power to a radar detector?
Dongar makes a power adapter plugs into mirror and gives you a USB A or C outlet to plug into. It’s made for dash cams, but why not for radar detectors - assuming the power supply to them is USB. But question, it’s a Tacoma not a Corvette, you really need a radar detector?

OP
OP

Scbmw017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD OR
Thanks for the info. And to answer your question No, I absolutely do not need a radar detector but it is nice to have something for situational awareness on the long drives

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I have.
I used the powered rear view mirror to tap in to. Blue wire to the power mirror is your ACC wire, otherwise the other one (sorry I forgot the other color, may be red) is constant on.

Having my windshield replaced this week and finally getting it all set after that. Just experimented with it for now.

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I'm planning to do the same when I get my Tacoma. Let me know if you get it figured out. My plan was to locate the wires for the mirror and test them with a multimeter.

EDIT: looks like I posted at the same time as maxx075. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored

CanyonFisherSummitSeeker

First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Dongar outlet is usb A. They include a usb A to usb C adapter but in 2024 I feel like the outlet should be USB C with an adapter from USB C to USB A if needed. Will personally wait for Dongar to update their outlet to USB C to purchase. In the meantime I’ll deal with wire clutter and use one of the two fast charging USB C outlets or the “cigarette” lighter plug for an additional power source.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Dongar outlet is usb A. They include a usb A to usb C adapter but in 2024 I feel like the outlet should be USB C with an adapter from USB C to USB A if needed. Will personally wait for Dongar to update their outlet to USB C to purchase. In the meantime I’ll deal with wire clutter and use one of the two fast charging USB C outlets or the “cigarette” lighter plug for an additional power source.
While I totally agree with you, I’ve bought the adapter, used the USB C adapter that came with it, there’s tons of room to tuck it away in the front camera cover on the ‘24 Tacoma. That said, if you wanted to buy a further “slimmer” adapter there are these on Amazon. Think you may be waiting awhile for them to just make one with the USB C.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
OP please keep us posted. I will be hardwiring mine the day I get it. On the wife’s Camry I used the other option where you run the wire down to the fuse bank and plug in. The Camry has open fuse spots and one is switched power so it worked perfect and super easy to just push the wire into the headline the whole way there. Took literally 5 min. I have done the mirror tap route as well on several cars.

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
I used one of the accessory power button(if yours has it) and ran the wires up the drivers side A beam to a visor mount detector. It is pretty much out of view from the outside of the truck, and I can always push the power button on the dash to turn it off so the flashing lights cant be seen from behind.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5, 2004 4Runner SR5, 2001 E55 AMG
The cops don’t even use radar anymore really. they use laser to trap speed. The detectors don’t work on that. Also Adas systems on passenger cars run on the same frequency and will set off the detector if I’m not mistaken.

Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
The cops don’t even use radar anymore really. they use laser to trap speed. The detectors don’t work on that. Also Adas systems on passenger cars run on the same frequency and will set off the detector if I’m not mistaken.
Radar detectors definitely pick up laser. I've had mine alert to laser numerous times. And unless you're in a small town where they regularly use the older K band, the majority of hits I have is KA band.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
False. Maybe where you are. They all use KA band here. In SoCal they all used KA band as well. Very few Laser. However you can get laser jamming as well.

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Washington is also mostly Ka band radar with some K band in smaller towns. I know laser is around, but I've not personally seen any except when I was in Idaho a few years ago.

Also, the high end radar detectors do a good job filtering out the false alerts from other radar sources.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did mine today. Used a blend mount and add a fuse. Ran it down the passenger side and popped into an open spot that had switched power. Took maybe 30 min total.
2024 Tacoma Radar Detector - MirrorTap and BlendMount on Digital Rearview Mirror? IMG_8399
2024 Tacoma Radar Detector - MirrorTap and BlendMount on Digital Rearview Mirror? IMG_8397
Sponsored