Sponsored

Anyone else having trouble with mpg rates?

TheBandit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR 6MT 4x4
I noticed my MPG reads 18-19, but after I complete a trip and after I turn off the engine, my trips usually average 21 MPG and above. Not sure where the 18-19 comes from.
Same, avg shown on the dash sticks around the 17.3 range but on shutoff I'm shown 20mpg+ each trip.
Do you reset your avg? If not, its not reset by tank (as other Toyotas have in the past) or trip, the fuel average in the dash does not reset automatically and will show you your fuel mileage since you bought the truck
Sponsored

OP
OP

nato0825

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
So it took my truck awhile to figure the mpg out. I started around there. Then after a good amount of miles it’s now up to 22-23. Idk why it just takes a min for the tech to calculate. Even now if I start a new trip my mpg will be in the toilet. Also it took a min for the miles to empty to finally get decent. When I filled it up it initially was in the 200’s. Now I fill it it’s at 340 or so
That's what I think it is, almost takes some "breaking in". My mpg has only climbed and mileage to empty as well. I'll see where it's at when I break 1000 miles and see how much it's changed.

Madmez

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav
Ive notice factors like any kind of hill, stop and go traffic, outside temp, and ac will affect mpg.

Odzter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
The trick is to let off the gas as much as you can. The truck can coast for long distances due to the 8-speed tranny and there’s no engine braking so take advantage of it.

AltarBoy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21trd off-road
Before you took delivery the truck spent alot of time idling. That dropped the total average mpg. Look at trip mpg instead. The total average will take time to go up to normal. When I got mine my cluster said 16 total average. Switched it to trip and it was reading 22+

Sponsored

CrispyTacoLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma Off-road
Hi all,

just joined the forum a few days ago, so pretty new here. Picked up a TRD Sport last week and so far so good, ~300 miles on odometer. Mileage so far however has not been great. Right now I'm getting about 16 mpg without the chin of an air dam on the front (UP from 15 with it on, make that make any sense) but to me that doesn't seem right. I have seen others getting upwards of 22-23 highway without breaking a sweat. Haven't been flooring the thing either and placed drive mode into 'Eco' that hasn't solved much. Any thoughts/solutions would be great, don't feel like filling up every 250 miles.
How are you measuring?

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Before you took delivery the truck spent alot of time idling. That dropped the total average mpg. Look at trip mpg instead. The total average will take time to go up to normal. When I got mine my cluster said 16 total average. Switched it to trip and it was reading 22+
Don’t look at either. Actually manually calculate the correct way. When you fill up stop filling at the first click when the pump stops. Reset your trip computer. Then the next time you fill up do it the same way, stop at first click. Take the trip reading to the tenth and divide by number of gallons. That is your true MPG. Then you can keep track of all those and start averaging those. You can also do fuelly. If you aren’t doing it that way then it is really just one little snapshot in time. I can drive 30 miles on my backroads at 45 mph, downhill, turn off all AC, behind a truck and get 35+ mpg but the truth of the matter is most normal people driving through THE LIFE OF THE TRUCK are going to have all sorts of mixed driving To include interstate, high heat, high cold, stop and go, fast etc etc etc.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Page 110 in owners manual for Toyota fuel economy setting. Eco Driving Indicator settings. These could be helpful in keeping track of MPG and monitoring your driving habits.

sotw

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD
I have yet to figure out how to switch to trip average. Any help? Can you switch back and forth. Only had truck 4 days.

AltarBoy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21trd off-road
I have yet to figure out how to switch to trip average. Any help? Can you switch back and forth. Only had truck 4 days.
Using the controls on the steering it’s in the cluster options. I forget how to change it

Sponsored

sugammadex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD PRO
Recorded my mileage on a full tank and once it got to zero - I got 337 miles via trip reader. Fuel gauge says 275 on a full tank. I think it takes a bit to “learn”. I have 1200 miles on my TRD Pro

HoptownBob

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Premium
So you can switch it from total average to trip average? I just haven't played with it much yet.

HoptownBob

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Premium
From what I've seen so far (have about 2400 mi), speed has everything to do with it. Stop and go traffic may also have a major impact but I don't get into that much.
I get 25+ mpg (measured from fuel fill-up) on country highways through mountainous terrain. Elevation changes average out (some uphill, some downhill). Mostly 55 mph, nothing over 65. Very little stop and go. Normal mode using adaptive cruise control as much as possible with it set to low acceleration.
Is there a setting for low acceleration?

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR Long Bed
Is there a setting for low acceleration?
Yes. It's in the settings for the instrument display. Here's an overview of how to make changes.

There is a "fuel economy" setting which controls whether to use average since reset or average for trip.
There is an acceleration setting for the cruise control with high/mid/low.
Sponsored