Apple Carplay Problems.

mithomas310

First Name
morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I’m constantly having problems with my phone connecting to the truck. Every other day I need to “forget” my phone from the truck and then re-pair the both. When the phone wont automatically connect to the truck, even using the cable also will not let me use CarPlay.

Also when I remote start the truck, my phone will not connect to the truck once I get in the car and I will have to “forget” and then pair truck and phone again.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there any settings I need to change in my phone? I’m coming from a 2011 Tacoma with manual windows and locks and I had to use an AUX cord to listen to my phone, so this is all new to me lol.

I was having the same issues. I found that if after turning the truck on you wait until carplay connects before putting the truck in gear you wont have issues.
Sponsored

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
A few questions as I work the bugs out on my CarPlay.

When CarPlay is connected, my phone says Bluetooth not connected, is this normal? And Bluetooth won’t connect. Yet my CarPlay is connected.

Do you have to hold down the voice button on steering wheel to ask Siri to do something? - sometimes I don’t, I just say Siri call Jason and it does.

Sometimes it works most times it don’t, so I read you have to hold the steering wheel button then say hey Siri…. I will try that.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Steering wheel button is not for Siri. Just say “Siri”.

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro

When CarPlay is connected, my phone says Bluetooth not connected, is this normal? And Bluetooth won’t connect. Yet my CarPlay is connected.

Do you have to hold down the voice button on steering wheel to ask Siri to do something? - sometimes I don’t, I just say Siri call Jason and it does.

Sometimes it works most times it don’t, so I read you have to hold the steering wheel button then say hey Siri…. I will try that.
The button will work for Siri but saying “hey siri” also works. I just say hey siri. Just saying “Siri” should also work if you are on latest IOS. I’m not sure but the car may require use of the button while speaking Siri out loud May get picked up by your phone….not totally sure. Both should work though.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
The steering wheel button IS NOT for Siri. It is for the Toyota Voice aid. It will not do Siri/Apple functions. Hey siri or Siri is the way to access CarPlay function. Hitting the car button will do the function that are associated with Toyota nav etc

Sponsored

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
The steering wheel button IS NOT for Siri. It is for the Toyota Voice aid. It will not do Siri/Apple functions. Hey siri or Siri is the way to access CarPlay function. Hitting the car button will do the function that are associated with Toyota nav etc
Head out to your truck and try this- push the voice control button on the steering wheel quickly. See what happens. Then push and hold the voice control button on the steering wheel and see what happens. Of course, make sure you are connected to CarPlay.

Last edited:

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
Dude. You get a chance to tryout my little experiment yet?

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP

You either have to use Bluetooth to connect to CarPlay or you have to use it as wired to use CarPlay. It will only connect to CarPlay wirelessly when it’s connected through Bluetooth.

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
You either have to use Bluetooth to connect to CarPlay or you have to use it as wired to use CarPlay. It will only connect to CarPlay wirelessly when it’s connected through Bluetooth.
Pretty sure CarPlay uses Bluetooth for the original connection and then it establishes a wifi connection for functionality when you are using a wireless connection.

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
CarPlay will not let you use WiFi while connected to Bluetooth - not sure about android but I am sure about CarPlay. It’s a dumb system but that’s how it is.

Sponsored

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
CarPlay will not let you use WiFi while connected to Bluetooth - not sure about android but I am sure about CarPlay. It’s a dumb system but that’s how it is.
Wireless carplay uses Wi-Fi for data transfer (Maps, Music etc.). Bluetooth initiates the connection, then the actual data connection is on Wi-Fi. Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth and needs Wi-Fi for the data transfer.

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
Wireless carplay uses Wi-Fi for data transfer (Maps, Music etc.). Bluetooth initiates the connection, then the actual data connection is on Wi-Fi. Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth and needs Wi-Fi for the data transfer.
The why does a message pop up when I try to select WiFi that says turning on WiFi will disable CarPlay?

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
The why does a message pop up when I try to select WiFi that says turning on WiFi will disable CarPlay?
Cause you can’t have 2 wifi connections at once. For example, you can connect the car to your home wireless connection. But you can’t be connected to your home wireless and the CarPlay wireless at the same time. Hope that makes sense.

Tom Sellick

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Pro
Cause you can’t have 2 wifi connections at once. For example, you can connect the car to your home wireless connection. But you can’t be connected to your home wireless and the CarPlay wireless at the same time. Hope that makes sense.
Pretty sure if you connect to CarPlay with a wired connection, you could then also be connected for example, to your home network. You phone can only have one wifi connection at a time.

ChrisC

First Name
Christy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD ORP
It doesn’t make sense. For example. I’m in the middle of a forest with no WiFi for miles. The only WiFi capability I have is the onboard WiFi through AT&T. I select WiFi and it gives me the message that it will disable CarPlay. Not saying I know what’s right here. Just saying it won’t let me.
Sponsored