Sponsored

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
I love this truck. My wife said it rides better than the 200 series.

I have spent quite a bit of time with the truck driving 12 hours from Idaho. Although I haven’t had time to sit in the truck with the manual and go over all the options.

I got the premium package and $3700 off MSRP from the dealer in Boise (Edmark). They have other trucks off MSRP and you can reach out to them about ones in transit as the discount doesn’t appear until it is in stock.

I drove a bit gingerly from Boise for most of the trip to break in the engine

Observations:

• I love the power. I have zero regrets in buying the non Hybrid version. None
  • Near the end when I did the 80mph speed limit it was around 2000 rpm
  • Engine, transmission are nice a smooth
  • You feel and see on the dash when the turbo kicks in. Plenty of get up and go for quick acceleration
  • The ride is nice and smooth. Although there were a couple of spots where it seemed to trammel on rutted roads. I checked the tires and they were at 56 psi. Door sticker says 30. I lowered them to 38 and it was fine after that.
  • The premium comes with the multiple camera setup with a birds eye view. It has an algorithm that combines all the views into a 360 view from above. I wasn’t sure I was straight in a parking spot and turned it on and I moved over a bit. It also comes on when you get close to something
  • I haven’t played with the Towing capabilities yet, Youtube shows a lot of capability there with the package I got
  • Android auto is awesome and seamless. I can go hey google and get info at any time. The display of maps and Gaia can be full screen on the 14” display.
  • I like the phone charging plate
  • Seems like lots of cubbys and storage. One of the reasons I went non hybrid. I have my tools and offroad gear under the rear seat
Negatives

• Like the 250, there are subscriptions for wifi, navigation etc. However, with Android Auto, who cares 😊 I have all the connectivity I need. I swapped back and forth from the subscription Navigation to Android Auto and I couldn’t see any real difference. I haven’t played with all the apps. I get 1 year free on the subscriptions so there is plenty of time, but doubt I would continue them. I may do the less expensive service connect but need to research it more for the value.
  • It doesn’t seem like I can download my music library into the system. However, I can connect a Type c USB memory stick and it will use that as a source for music. It could also play from my phone as well.
  • Swapping between audio sources, the sound doesn’t seem to be at the same volume level. Maybe something different about my USB files.
  • They don’t give you a real spare. A smaller real tire on a steel rim. I am going to swap it for a real tire once I swap exhaust output. Can’t see wheeling with a smaller spare.
I have been working on my build and will start a build thread after I get my sliders etc in a couple of months

So far:

• Installed rubber floor mats (PT206-35242-20). The carpet ones are nice, just prefer the rubber ones for winter
  • Put a bed liner in PT318-35240-02
  • Bought a Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 and about to install it. Good deal with 4th of July sales
  • Bought an off road Toyota exhaust output. PT226-35241-AA. Think its what is on the Trailhunter. The stock exhaust will get beat to crap plus it comes to close to the spare tire
  • Added extra small storage that was wasted space from Amazon

Upcoming
  • Changing the 31” tires for Toyo AT3’ss 255 80 r17. 33” pizza cutters. They fit with existing setup. They are 10” wide and will make it easier to eventually replace spare tire without it sticking down too much
  • Change the oil after breakin period
  • Add sliders. Looking at CBI vs RCI. I like the CBI ones more, but haven’t ordered as yet. 8 week delivery time
  • Add a front skid plate, likely go with RCI as they are local in Loveland and wont have to pay shipping
  • Radios- Will hard install HAM and maybe GMRS. Need to figure out where to put the antennas
  • Look at adding a built in air compressor. I have small low power one in a bag until then
I really love this truck!

2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240722_094358
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240722_100805
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240722_100930
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240722_100851
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240722_100916
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240722_100954
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240722_100835
Sponsored

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
Glad you like it, but unless you've owned a hybrid you don't really have any basis to compare. I'm sure they're very similar as a grocery getter.

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you like it, but unless you've owned a hybrid you don't really have any basis to compare. I'm sure they're very similar as a grocery getter.
I am not comparing only stating this is plenty of power for me. I have no regrets. Same thing when I bought my Z4, I was happy with the power of the 3.0 and didn't even try the 4.0. I am not looking for the fastest most powerful vehicle. If I was, I would have tried the Hybrid.

Grocery getter . That is funny. I am an avid off-roader and have been for decades.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Tacoma hybrid is a lot different than any other hybrid though. Not really a comparison either. Not really a green get better gas milage hybrid.

Sponsored

Lando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K1500 Silverado, Honda Accord, VW Gti
The hybrid vents heat into the cabin and eliminates under seat storage. I agree with the OP that it is enough power and I like useful storage.
Hybrid buyers prefer no under seat storage and are ok with the battery cooling vents in the cab. I’m sure it is safe. They prefer the extra torque and power. For whatever reason they need it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a little about me so people know where I am coming from. I lead trails at National Events in Moab and Ouray and have been doing so for over 20 years.

I bought my first Land Cruiser in 1979, a 1974 FJ40. I have been a moderator on IH8MUD for 20 years.

I have done the Rubicon
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road IMG_8254

Flat Nasty in Missouri
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road Flat Nasty Day 1 034

Black Hills
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road P1010296.JPG

Lots of trails in Ouray-lead several every year
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20160904_110653

Many Trails in Moab- lead several every year
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 200 Ava

Lots of places throughout Colorado
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road Ken Taylor

I have an off road camper I bought from Australia - I take all over
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road IMG_5565.JPG

2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20230926_185257

I also have an RTT I take on trips the camper isn't allowed (by permit) like the Maze
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road DSC04000.JPG

and lots of other trails

I am setting up the Tacoma to be able to go the same places I take my Land Cruiser. This is why I chuckled when it was commented my Tacoma would be a Grocery getter

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma
That is awesome and I am jealous. Please update on your build and any trips you take with it. I love seeing stuff like this.

OlafTheNork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Pro
If you have a moment, please indicate the Make/Model of your "off road camper". Looks pretty cool. Thank you.

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have a moment, please indicate the Make/Model of your "off road camper". Looks pretty cool. Thank you.
Its a Kimberley Karavan. They didn't have US dealers when I bought it in 2016 so I had to get it straight from the factory. Fortunately they had an Import License which made it easy
https://kimberleykampersusa.com/

Edit: here is a link to my build thread https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...ie-style-romers-new-kimberley-karavan.150061/

Please post pics of the pizza cutters.
here you go. I did buy an extra rim on ebay and will be looking for a used matching tire for the spare. I will give it a few weeks and may have to buy another new one. I will update when I replace the spare

2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240725_102159
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240725_102238
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240725_102443
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240725_102605
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240725_102616
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240725_102210
2024 Tacoma Build Thread and  Initial Thoughts on my new Tacoma Off Road 20240725_102252

Last edited:

Sponsored

Thomasr1950

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Tacoma
I have a white 24 Tacoma. I agree they are very nice trucks. I enjoy mine.

OP
OP
Romer

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Just a little about me so people know where I am coming from. I lead trails at National Events in Moab and Ouray and have been doing so for over 20 years.

I bought my first Land Cruiser in 1979, a 1974 FJ40. I have been a moderator on IH8MUD for 20 years.

I have done the Rubicon
IMG_8254.jpg

Flat Nasty in Missouri
Flat Nasty Day 1 034.jpg

Black Hills
P1010296.JPG

Lots of trails in Ouray-lead several every year
20160904_110653.jpg

Many Trails in Moab- lead several every year
200 Ava.jpg

Lots of places throughout Colorado
Ken Taylor.jpg

I have an off road camper I bought from Australia - I take all over
IMG_5565.JPG

20230926_185257.jpg

I also have an RTT I take on trips the camper isn't allowed (by permit) like the Maze
DSC04000.JPG

and lots of other trails

I am setting up the Tacoma to be able to go the same places I take my Land Cruiser. This is why I chuckled when it was commented my Tacoma would be a Grocery getter
I always find it funny when people come in here with negative comments. It's a forum to share stuff. Get over it. Glad you like your new truck. I love mine too and can't wait to have more adventures on mine too. Congrats on your new truck!

Bluznvice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR LB Bronze Oxide
Curious with the amount of off-roading you do, why you didn't get the SDM option?

Was your decision to go with pizza cutters based on the spare underneath or other considerations?
Sponsored