CarPlay music crackles/skips when wired and using phone nav

No Myth

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Hi - newbie here. I have the 14 in screen with the JBL premium audio and whenever I use wired CarPlay and navigation on my phone (like Google Maps, Waze, or Apple Maps), when I listen to music and have the navigation active on the screen, the music frequently crackles and skips. However, once I remove the navigation from the screen or use the built-in Toyota navigation, the crackling and skipping stops. Also, if I use wireless CarPlay, I do not have this problem when listening to music while having phone navigation on screen, but I'm old-fashioned and prefer using wired CarPlay vs wireless.

I used to own a '23 Corolla Cross Hybrid with the same new MMI and never had this problem. I also recently rented 2 '24 Camry Hybrids - one had no problem while plugged in and listening to music and using phone navigation, but the other Camry had the same crackling/skipping problem as my Tacoma.

Just wondering if anybody else on here has experienced the same annoying crackling and skipping while plugged in and listening to music while having phone navigation (not Toyota navigation) on the screen. I have an iPhone 13 that is fully updated and I've used 3 different USB cables and still no luck. I love most everything else (except the infotainment) about my '24 TRD Sport, but this is really bugging me (along with not being able to keep Tire Pressure displayed as one of my gauge cluster options but that's for another thread).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
Hardware issue. If it works in wireless mode without error then common denominator says it's the cable.

OP
OP
No Myth

No Myth

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I’ve tried 3 different USB-C cords - 2 Apple cords (one which is barely used) and 1 brand new Anker cord and still have the same issue, but only when a navigation app (not the Toyota nav) is up on the screen. If I switch to a non- navigation screen or to the built-in Toyota navigation, the crackling and skipping stops.

Sponsored

wutheck

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
I have the same issue with wired CarPlay. I use wireless CarPlay when I can. If I can get it to connect. Haha

OP
OP
No Myth

No Myth

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I have the same issue with wired CarPlay. I use wireless CarPlay when I can. If I can get it to connect. Haha
Glad I’m not the only one and that I’m not going crazy! Bringing it to the dealership on Friday but I’m gonna bet that they’ll come back and say they couldn’t duplicate it or find anything wrong.
Sponsored