Sponsored

Check Engine Light, System Failure - More possible problems with the shutters.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M

Decided to make a new thread, just to spread awareness that once again, another Tacoma owner is getting complete system shutdowns possibly related to the front shutters.

At least, I'm hoping. It seems to be throwing the same things that others have experienced with these shutter connector problems.

I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow and hopefully disconnect a couple connectors to see if there's any water inside myself before I take it off to a dealer partially because they're closed tomorrow, and Monday morning I have my early 30km commute to work.

What scares me is this is only now happening (1700kms), pretty much right after break in, I'm after washing the vehicle multiple times sense then, and almost immediately after I decided to really test the truck out all these messages popped up. I was exiting a roundabout and floored it, knocked her into second and floored it again causing the tires to chirp and traction to stick on, and not even a minute after that it lit up like a Christmas tree. So in a sense, I'm desperately hoping and clinging onto the fact that it's the shutters lol.

On a side note, can anyone tell me what that orange warning light is on the right bottom of the dash? It's completely new to me and I see the same light lit up on the other peoples dash who had the same issue, I can't seem to find it in the owners manual.

I did wash the vehicle thoroughly one day prior to this though, first real thorough power wash, and really gave the grille a major power wash spray down, which maybe it took all that time for water to creep on into the connectors, hopefully.

I've switched between drive modes, switched through 2L, 4H, 4L, took her on the road and floored her, still drives completely normal and fine, no unusual sounds or feels from the drivetrain so I'm not all that nervous.

Can anyone confirm, as I'm unfamiliar with shutters in general. They're currently open, even with shutting the truck off. Are they supposed to open and only close at high speeds or is it vice versa?
Sponsored

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
I'm not sure about your questions, but you seem to have the same issue that I'm having.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I'm not sure about your questions, but you seem to have the same issue that I'm having.
Have you brought yours to the dealer yet? I was overly confident that the grille issue was part of the massive QC holdback but now I'm not so sure lol

GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
Ya mine came on couple days ago. Reset the battery. Turned off and now back again. Just gonna keep driving don’t have time to deal with it. Shutters are open so not a worry truck drives fine

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Ya mine came on couple days ago. Reset the battery. Turned off and now back again. Just gonna keep driving don’t have time to deal with it. Shutters are open so not a worry truck drives fine
Wow that's crazy, this is most certainly going to turn into a recall. Seems like everyone getting these 4 gens are eventually running into this issue. I thought about resetting the battery to see if it clears the code or hooking up the OBD2 reader and manually clearing it. I'll try that tomorrow but definitely going to haul off that one connector that I suspect is causing the issue. If I do find anything out of the ordinary I'll post it here to update folks, kinda hoping it's just a "seal the connector to waterproof it" kind of fix and hope that a recall does come out.

Kinda sucks having cruise disconnected as most of my commute daily is highway lol.

Sponsored

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
Have you brought yours to the dealer yet? I was overly confident that the grille issue was part of the massive QC holdback but now I'm not so sure lol
Yes, they are replacing the grille shutter

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I was told they changed the wiring harness. The holds were to do the changes on vehicles in transit. They will likely have to recall the rest of the trucks built before the problem surfaced. This came to me second hand through a service manager that I trust with a friend working at our local port.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
What is your build date on the door jamb sticker?

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
Wow that's crazy, this is most certainly going to turn into a recall. Seems like everyone getting these 4 gens are eventually running into this issue. I thought about resetting the battery to see if it clears the code or hooking up the OBD2 reader and manually clearing it. I'll try that tomorrow but definitely going to haul off that one connector that I suspect is causing the issue. If I do find anything out of the ordinary I'll post it here to update folks, kinda hoping it's just a "seal the connector to waterproof it" kind of fix and hope that a recall does come out.

Kinda sucks having cruise disconnected as most of my commute daily is highway lol.
Did you have any success in removing the connector and checking it?

A quick google seach show many models of Toyota having this issue with the active grill system going back to 2021 etc.. I have a Off Road from 3TY with build date of 1/24 and delivered 2/16 before the holds.

I have not had the issue yet. I have washed my truck once so far and hand washed it so no power spray etc.

Anyone attempted to proactively disconnect the connector or try to seal it themselves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Did you have any success in removing the connector and checking it?

A quick google seach show many models of Toyota having this issue with the active grill system going back to 2021 etc.. I have a Off Road from 3TY with build date of 1/24 and delivered 2/16 before the holds.

I have not had the issue yet. I have washed my truck once so far and hand washed it so no power spray etc.

Anyone attempted to proactively disconnect the connector or try to seal it themselves.
I tried last night but it's damn near impossible. Every hose and connector on this truck seems like you need the strength of god himself to haul off. The grille is too small to get two hands In there to take it off, and I'm not comfortable with removing the grille/bumper given the sensors it has.

I blasted the sensor with canned air, and then soaked a can of electrical connector cleaner all over the sensor and tried to get it inside the connector. Waited for that to evaporate and plugged the batter back in.

I've made it 30km today without it coming back on, although I do eventually expect it to pop back on. I'd just like to keep it off long enough to see if they issue an official recall or not, having the truck in the shop for two weeks with camping season opening up this weekend isn't really ideal for me.

Edit: driven about 120kms today and still no engine light. Crossing my fingers. Giving her a well deserved car wash tomorrow after work so if she's going to pop back on, it's going to be then.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy a 4th Gen taco soon.
Any updates on your issue? Planning to buy a 2024 soon too, with a VIN ending around 15000. Hoping I don’t encounter these issues.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Any updates on your issue? Planning to buy a 2024 soon too, with a VIN ending around 15000. Hoping I don’t encounter these issues.
Haven't gotten it again sense I soaked down the sensor with electrical contact cleaner. I won't really know if I'll get it again until I give her a good wash, figured today but we just got dumped 15cm of snow out of no where so I'll have to reschedule that lol

Tacocho

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy a 4th Gen taco soon.
Haven't gotten it again sense I soaked down the sensor with electrical contact cleaner. I won't really know if I'll get it again until I give her a good wash, figured today but we just got dumped 15cm of snow out of no where so I'll have to reschedule that lol
Other than the grille shutter, any other issues with the truck? I’m looking to purchase one soon and I’m really hoping they addressed this issue.

CATOY

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium and 2007 Sequioa LTD
Does anyone know when the shutter closes? I read it’s temperature based, something like 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Has anyone started their truck and then walked up to the front to see if the shutter closes while it’s parked until things heat up. I’m thinking that those of us in warmer climates won’t see this issue unless the system occasionally does a self check.

Taco4ever

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
Does anyone know when the shutter closes? I read it’s temperature based, something like 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Has anyone started their truck and then walked up to the front to see if the shutter closes while it’s parked until things heat up. I’m thinking that those of us in warmer climates won’t see this issue unless the system occasionally does a self check.
Sponsored