Sponsored

Vehicle Alerts: Check Engine, Drive Start Control System, Advanced Ultrasonic Detecting and Ranging System

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Honestly, I think it was dead almost immediately after driving off the lot. I thought I was battling some traffic sense feature I had to turn off at first since I was in stop and go traffic. The dealer have me in a rental for the time being, although I don't have a timeline yet as they're dealing with Toyota Canada to resolve this.
Yeah - it does sound like it was broken right out of the box. I mentioned watching the DCT failures in Hyundais. For a long time there was no fix, some Santa Cruz trucks sat for a long time and many dealers didn't provide loaners. That is the big difference with Toyota. You got a rental and Toyota will take care of you, even if you have to wait a while. One Santa Cruz buyer made payments on a truck sitting on his dealer's lot for months, while also paying for a rental. I have never seen Toyota treat anyone that badly.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Sponsored

OP
OP

punkard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Are you positive it’s not in some safety driving mode? I thought my truck was dropping out of gear and that I had transmission failure and it ended up being some safety sense feature where the truck will apply the brakes and keep you safe distances in stop and go traffic. I turned it off then it was fine
Initially that's what I thought, but the dealer confirmed the transmission issue, and this was also present when I got out of traffic.

AZ-Jayhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Well, I was hoping to post a happier "yay I got my Taco" post and all is well, but alas..

Picked up a brand new Sport Premium from the dealer, drove it about 7km before the truck essentially lost drive and the errors in the title started flashing on the dash at me. Was able to limp it back to the dealer and am awaiting a cause. Wondering if it's related to this issue as the truck had only 5km on the odometer before I drove it off the lot.

I am frustrated that I don't have the truck, but not going to point fingers or get angry until the issue has been figured out, just needed a place to put my words down and hopefully give others some important info once it is resolved.

First edit:
Just got off the phone with the dealership. Looks like the transmission got stuck in 6th gear and overheated everything. Makes sense why I felt there was no drive as it was trying to start from park in 6th gear. Looking like they'll have to replace the transmission.

Second edit:
Dealer/Toyota will be replacing the transmission. ETA 3 weeks (ish)
4wd?

Sponsored

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
Well congratulations and good luck with your new taco

OP
OP

punkard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
So have around 600km on the truck now, and was hoping to get some input from others to see if what I'm experiencing is "normal".

Generally the truck feels pretty sluggish accelerating from a stop in the "Normal" driving mode. Much better in Sport mode. I'm not flooring it either as I'm still a bit gun shy about breaking the thing. When I was stopped, I put it into manual mode (I have the 8sp automatic) and it displayed that it was in 3rd gear (while completely stopped) Having driven a manual for many years, I'd expect it to be in 1st..

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
So have around 600km on the truck now, and was hoping to get some input from others to see if what I'm experiencing is "normal".

Generally the truck feels pretty sluggish accelerating from a stop in the "Normal" driving mode. Much better in Sport mode. I'm not flooring it either as I'm still a bit gun shy about breaking the thing. When I was stopped, I put it into manual mode (I have the 8sp automatic) and it displayed that it was in 3rd gear (while completely stopped) Having driven a manual for many years, I'd expect it to be in 1st..
There's a big misconception about "manual" mode on the autos. Every one of them displays S3 when you shift it over to manual. This is because the manual mode more or less acts as a limiter, so S3 means that you won't shift above 3rd. Same for any other gear.