Cold Air Intake?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
People are talking about getting no gains from a CAI, I don't think I ever bought a CAI for the gains, I buy them because they produce an amazing growl you just can't get with a stock airbox. That, and the enhanced turbo noises.

Sponsored

JR760

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
It can do nothing but let more dirt in and be louder. Its a scam. Its impossibly the engine is starving for air.
The engine starving for air? I think most people understand that a bit more debris might get in but starving an engine for air is complete nonsense, if anything it allows MORE airflow...

Vidman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tundra,1967 chevelle, 1972 c-10 pro street
Any air intake that takes air from under the hood is not a cold air intake..the air is hot under there..they only look cool to some people and they make more noise..very simple to see that

Odzter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I did buy a TRD cold air intake for my gen 2 Tacoma for the sound and the sound only.

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
The air is being taken from outside the engine bay that's what that airbox is on the front corner of the vehicle. It doesn't look cool like a 2000's CAI or short ram but the stock airbox operates as a "COI".
I'm sure the stock airbox is rated higher than the engine already. Example is the STi stock airbox is rated for 400hp though the engine is 300hp.

Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Which magnaflow you got on brother?
Careful, it sounds like an Acura integra from the late 90s with a fart pipe. I have it… the exhaust kits are the same from Magnaflow except different tips and the overland/off-roading pipe option.
I had my exhaust installed 9 days ago-magnaflow. I may consider the AWE kit

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I had the overland exhaust outlet shipped to me, allowing both a single exhaust outlet/tip, and having the overland pipe for driving off the beaten path

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I will wait for a dyno to show the actual gains and decide from there. In California you can’t tune vehicles and pass smog anymore so probably wont be a thing here. I think the smog stations can detect the tune or that the oem settings were overwritten and automatically fail the smog test. I’ll try and find a news story on it.

update: you can have a tune if they approve the tune for california...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...californias-new-ecu-law-means-for-tuned-cars/

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I will wait for a dyno to show the actual gains and decide from there. In California you can’t tune vehicles and pass smog anymore so probably wont be a thing here. I think the smog stations can detect the tune or that the oem settings were overwritten and automatically fail the smog test. I’ll try and find a news story on it.

update: you can have a tune if they approve the tune for california...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...californias-new-ecu-law-means-for-tuned-cars/
Yup, OBD II vehicles self test, but if the software isn’t stock, all kinds of unique mods can be created, deleting downstream oxygen sensor reading, or turning off knock sensors with an aggressive tune/spark advance/increased boost…California looks for specific code that is within the OE software. It is illegal to use non CARB approved aftermarket performance engine parts or software. Mr Audi V10 plus kept harping on about the gen3 V6 Tacoma with an aftermarket supercharger- which happens to have a CARB EO. But despite his rants about his 4g Tacoma, he won’t switch to a gen3 with the blower…. Mr Audi V10 resides in AZ, so I imagine he can do whatever he wants, lol.
Sponsored